Workin on the Railroad (what did you do this week?)

Corey,
I think you're good to go with the green giant. I believe there is one in Blue Earth and that's south of Mankato. A lot of corn fields down that way too.
Later
Mike

That's my biggest concern as well, but I'm still planning...
I've decided to cut out a removable hatch above the track that will be hidden by ground cover and trees.

I was really carefull when I laid the track so I'm not too worried about derailments. I'm also hoping that when I built the mountains I didn't get any plaster drips on the roadbed.

Didn't do any modelling this week, but did make some purchases that I am waiting for in the mail:

1 Atlas Genset CSX #1301 to be patched and renumbered to my freelance;

1 Athearn MP15AC CPR #1415 w/ beaver logo to be operated as a lease unit and run w/ our older Con-Cor MP15DC;

2 Athearn NAR 50' FMC double door box cars, first and second run editions.

I am excited and anxious to get these items on the rails.

I got a call from the Train Shop in Santa Clara, CA, today. The Genesis FP-7 SP Black Widows are in. I had ordered an A-B set with sound a few months ago, and I completely forgot about it. So the credit card took a bit of a beating, but it's on its way. I'm really looking forward to getting it; I have a couple older F-7 sets with the MRC sound, and I'm really hoping the Tsunami will be a significant improvement.

Guess I'd better get busy laying track. I have way too many locomotives, and hardly anything to run them on.

This week I finished

This week I finished some details on my Free-Mo module. "West Smith Road Crossing" and my W&LE SD 40. I am a member of the Western Resreve Free-Mo Group. Check us out on Yahoo. We had a set up first week in April. I had a great time. We had 15 modules point to point, six people. Northern Ohio and Michigan members. We are in the planning stages for another hopefully in September. Try this link.
Wayne

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Western_Reserve_Free-mo/photos/album/1266290517/pic/list

Last edited by a moderator:
This week.
planted a piece of MDF that a farm will live on top of, thats about it and decided a tunnel is in order that was previously going to be a cutting

This week.
planted a piece of MDF that a farm will live on top of, thats about it and decided a tunnel is in order that was previously going to be a cutting

There was an article in railroad model craftsman about 6 years ago about using corrigated cardboard to simulate the rows on fields. I tried it out and it works great.

I think you had to wet one side down to peal back the top layer of paper to expose the bumps/ rows, then paint it with a brown latex, sprinkle earth colored foam or actual dirt on it while the paint is still wet.

After it dries you can run glue on the tops of the rows and sprinkle green ground foam over it. shake it off to get the green stuff in the valleys of the rows off then you can cut it to fit the footprint you want the field to occupy.

My sad little layout is a U-shaped point-to-point walk-in. It will have 2 levels someday, but right now, only has 3/4 of the lower level, the helix going to the upper level, and 1/4 of the upper level built. No scenery, and very little track.

It's starting to get hot here, and that saps my enthusiasm a bit, at least on the warmer days, but I did manage to do some wiring this week and now have power to the entire mainline as far as it currently runs. The next phase will be to build a small yard/engine facility, then extend the mainline.

Working on a structure. That little woodworking shop Walthers released not too long ago...that series of little Laser Cut kits. Pretty neat.

This past weekend, and early this week, I've been working on weathering my scrap yard... Photos this weekend...

Got a new engine in the mail yesterday :) yay!! HO Proto 2000 SW 1200.

I'm going to be using it for a scrapyard/recycler steelmill.

I'm going to have fun turning it into an old rust bucket on it's last assignment.

OK, So nobody makes a curved bridge. So after a trip to the hobby store I decided I buy a bunch of basswood and see what one would look like if I built it. Now granted, I'm sure if a civil engineer were to see it he'd say "nah, that just won't work". To that I defer to the great advice you guys have given me which is, "Hey it's my world, and my railroad".

OK, So nobody makes a curved bridge. So after a trip to the hobby store I decided I buy a bunch of basswood and see what one would look like if I built it. Now granted, I'm sure if a civil engineer were to see it he'd say "nah, that just won't work". To that I defer to the great advice you guys have given me which is, "Hey it's my world, and my railroad".

Nice Job!!!!!! Did you work off of a prototype of any kind?

That curved bridge looks good to me.
But of course I ain't no civil engineer so what do I know.

Are you going to paint it?
Are you trying to simulate wood or metal?

N-Gauged, I'll want it to be wood so yes I plan on painting it. Probably will take a stab at a weathered railroad tie type look. ........In other words.....dark brown.

Nothin too exciting this week from me went to my lhs and bought some knucke couplers to convert some n gauge cars and bought a new n gauge caboose planning on stripping a gp 15? and painting it into colorado midland colors could be tricky because the midland only ran steam till it disappered but im thinkin maroon and white mabe a little brown ill see

Weathered my NS SD70 Athearn Genesis. Added some graffiti to some freight cars. Started project to move the headlight and ditch lights on my NS Athearn RTR C40-9w. Took the shell off, soldered motor controls to pc board. Ordered the necessary parts incl nose light lense and ditch lights. Puttyed the nose where the old nose light was. Ordered some IM wheels to replace the crappy stock Walthers ones on some Coalporters I have, one of which has gone bad and started to derail bc of said crappy wheels.

Back