Wooden frame tank car scratch build

Vince-RA

I few months ago I built a Labelle tank car kit and thought to myself "I can probably scratch build that a lot cheaper". If you factor in time spent, I was of course completely wrong, but if you factor in just materials, I MIGHT have been right? :D Anyway, pics below on my brazen knock off build of a late 1800s wooden frame tank car. First stop, the frame. The outsides are 1/8 x 3/8 basswood, call it 12" x 36" HO scale.

DSCN5948.JPG

I actually ended up rebuilding the frame since the dimensions were off on the first attempt and I wanted to sink the tank deeper into it. The rebuilt version uses scale 6x6s to hold the scale 2x4s that make the "cradle" for the tank. I ended up sanding the curve in these before cutting them, they were just too fragile and annoying to do after cutting.

DSCN5959.JPG

I really wanted to use scribed sheets for the decking here but didn't have enough 1/32" thick scraps and the 1/16" thick stuff I do have on hand seemed way to thick for the scale I wanted. So, used old reliable scale 2x6s cut individually and glued in place. Also notice 4 holes on each side drilled into the decking and through the frame, these will be used later to secure the tank.

DSCN5961.JPG

Next up, the tank. This is a 7/8" dowel puchased for about $2 at Walmart. Cut to length, then sanded the ends down to get a decent looking curve.

DSCN5945.JPG

Before wrapping, I drilled 5 holes in the dowel and filled with lead sinkers. Note to anyone trying this at home, do not attempt to drill too close to the ends of the dowel, the whole thing will split and explode (ask me how I know...). I filled the holes with wood putty and sanded the whole thing smooth.

The tank wrap is made from 0.005" thick styrene from Evergreen. The rivets were made with a nifty little rolling tool - https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tsm/tsm09910.htm

DSCN5954.JPG

Each layer gets progressively smaller and approximates a tank welded/riveted together from multiple pieces. The seams are all at the bottom of the tank, hidden by the cradle. If I had it to do over again I would have drilled the holes for the weights from the top instead. The wood putty filler for those holes made it annoying to get the tank wrapper glue to stick well. I tried CA at first but eventually used Aileen's Tacky Glue here to join the wood/putty and first layer of wrap, with a very little bit of Faller Expert plastic cement to glue the layers to each other.

DSCN5955.JPG

These are the supports for the railing. Scale 6x6s, with one end beveled a bit so they angle outward from the frame. At first I tried to sand them each individually before settling on the painter's tape to keep them together and bevel them all at one go, the results were much more consistent this way.

DSCN5963.JPG

I used a cast metal tank dome from Labelle. The "steel cables" to anchor the tank to the frame are 0.015" brass wire. I really need to get new black paint, this is a ~12 year old jar of Polly Scale Steam Power Black that has clearly seen better days. Still, I kind of like the rustic look it gives the tank compared to a perfectly smooth surface.

DSCN5965.JPG

Railing and U brackets are also made from 0.015" brass wire.

DSCN5966.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5964.JPG
    DSCN5964.JPG
    305.4 KB · Views: 78
Final product after painting and adding trucks and couplers. You can't see the truss rods from this angle but they are there, I assure you! Queenposts and turnbuckles are from Tichy, and the rods themselves are made from fishing line.

DSCN5968.JPG

And, next to the kit-built version. I prepared that one for decals but didn't actually apply them as some were extremely fragile and others didn't actually fit where they were supposed to go.

DSCN5967-001.JPG

You can see that the rivets have gotten lost in my version after painting. In part due to the crappy paint I'm using (the same crappy paint was used on the kit version though), but probably also because I just didn't push hard enough when using the rivet making tool - something to fix for next time. I also like the kit's decking much better than mine, the hand laid 2x6s get lost under paint. I'll keep trying to get some 1/32" decking for the next build, and save the hand laid boards for flat cars where they look much better than scribed sheets imo.

Last edited:
Very nice! Working with wood is really fun. One has to make a few to hone the technique. I model the WP&YR narrow gauge and made five of their tank cars mounted on flat car frames. Instead I used 3D printing but that leaves weighting a little more problematical. I left a hole in the bottom from which I cold feed in fine shot (liquid lead) and then seal the hole. One does need to give the car a shake before railing to distribute the lead. Maybe making a separate dome might have been a better scenario.
thanks for sharing!

I find it almost impossible to hit the NMRA weight standards with wooden cars. These tanks are an easy place to jam a bunch of lead into and I'm still closer to 3oz than the suggested 4oz for a ~6" car. I imagine working with plastic/resin leaves you with a lighter base weight, but probably more room in which to add weight? The wooden tanks are mostly limited by how many holes I can drill in them, and how close to the edge I can drill, before they split apart.

Ok, making bolsters sucks too. I usually use plastic bolsters but they don’t work well with this plan, where the wire around the tank ends up going right through them. Northeastern charges a buck and change for a pair of wooden bolsters, so I bought a bag of O scale 6x8 for $4 (and a bunch of sanding…) instead. Almost ready for some paint and final assembly!

9F5A7BE1-8084-4EC8-963D-C5F0EAC9CB01.jpeg

Finally getting back to these cars. 5 of the 6 metal tank domes I ordered had significant defects and were all but unusable. Fortunately, Labelle Models made it right, but took some time to get sorted out. Aaaaaand now I'm out of brass wire :p Once I get more I can finish the tank retaining straps and the railings.

P1000032.JPG

Back