Wiring

kdv911

I am needing wire for my ho layout. I figured every hardware store would have spools of every size wire in stock but apparently not. What size wire should I use and where's the best place to find it?

Wire

If you have "Tractor Supply" in your area check there vehicle electrical supplies. You might be surprised on what you find. I believe also some modelers use speaker wire but you would have to verify that. Forget Radio Shack. You might try auto parts stores but only the old time ones not the newer generation.
Wayne

Wayne

As said, Tractor Supply would be a good place to start. Try Lowes, Home Depot or one of the other regional big box builders supply stores. Most have a pretty good supply of stranded wire and connectors of various types.

Everything is cheaper than radio shack.

Buss wire is pretty easy to obtain at either 12-14 gauge. 16-20 on the other hand can get silly expensive for what it is. I have been buying 500 foot spools of automotive wire for around 28-30 dollars per spool on Ebay which is pretty tolerable. I am no longer convinced that suitcase connectors are a good idea. They do cut the wire, no two ways about it. The alternatives are certainly time consuming.

I got the four wire bundle covered in white vinyl, 100' of it on a spool, from Radio Shack. It is quicker, close by, and it is what I need, so I don't mind spending the few dollars extra it costs. Shipping would be how much...?

I got the four wire bundle covered in white vinyl, 100' of it on a spool, from Radio Shack. It is quicker, close by, and it is what I need, so I don't mind spending the few dollars extra it costs. Shipping would be how much...?

.... but isn't that wire only 20 or 22 gauge ?

For my main buss wire, I stripped the insulation off of a run of 14 gauge house wire netting me a white and a black wire. For the drop feeds, I used 18 gauge lamp cord ! Again, used white and black lamp cord - just split the two wires into singles.

Mark.

.... but isn't that wire only 20 or 22 gauge ?

For my main buss wire, I stripped the insulation off of a run of 14 gauge house wire netting me a white and a black wire. For the drop feeds, I used 18 gauge lamp cord ! Again, used white and black lamp cord - just split the two wires into singles.

Mark.

Yes, I meant feeder wires, and in this case it is 22 gauge. It is quite satisfactory. For bus and sub, I use 14 gauge available all over the place.

For me i went with 14 guage on my bus and 18 guage on my feeders.

You can find 14 guage everywhere.

The smallest wire homedepot sells is bell wire/thermostat wire.
most of what homedepot sells is 14 gauge and bigger.

I actually had to go to radioshack to find anything smaller then 14 gauge.
Radioshack has alot of 16-18-20-22 gauge wiring.

Im with selector on radioshack, i didnt mine spending a little more since radioshack is nearby

Back