Wiring Sequence for Genesis MT4 6-Pin Plug

Pizzalayout

Ferroequinologist Extraordinaire
Hello everyone, I really need some help here please. I scored a Genesis MT4 4-8-2 #4860 on eBay some time back. The reason it was such a great deal is because the tender was missing. No problem, found a dealer who had a replacement one stashed away in the back and it arrived just before Thanksgiving. The issue is that the tender is basic DC, no DCC Decoder inside. I have disassembled the tender and have the 6-Pin harness all ready to hook up a Tsunami2 Steam decoder in it but I need to know what the wiring sequence is, left to right plug into locomotive socket... Left track power, Right track power, Motor +, Motor -, Headlight, and Number-boards? I understand that Athearn uses a frame ground for the return circuit for the LEDs. Any assistance would be most appreciated and thanks in advance. John

Thanks Dub for the link and info. Will file all that away for future reference. Lots of great info there to digest. I really don't want to open up the locomotive and install an 8-pin receptacle. Maybe 20 years ago when I still had my eyesight and wits... This growing old thing sucks! Be safe out there.

I am not sure what the hardware would look like but from reading the instructions, it started with an 8 pin configuration. This is all for the Tsunami2 decoder. You never know you may not need an 8. There were plenty of diagrams to refer to. If you are starting the tender from scratch you still have to deal with at least six pins. What's two more?
Good Luck and keep us posted. Pictures would be nice too!

Sorry for derailing this thread a bit: is there a thread somewhere on your pizza layout? It will be very interesting. Thanks.

index.php

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I really need some help here please. I scored a Genesis MT4 4-8-2 #4860 on eBay some time back. The reason it was such a great deal is because the tender was missing. No problem, found a dealer who had a replacement one stashed away in the back and it arrived just before Thanksgiving. The issue is that the tender is basic DC, no DCC Decoder inside. I have disassembled the tender and have the 6-Pin harness all ready to hook up a Tsunami2 Steam decoder in it but I need to know what the wiring sequence is, left to right plug into locomotive socket... Left track power, Right track power, Motor +, Motor -, Headlight, and Number-boards? I understand that Athearn uses a frame ground for the return circuit for the LEDs. Any assistance would be most appreciated and thanks in advance. John
Might try this link. Seems like a lot of info here.

Many thanks John for this link. It looks like a start. Maybe I'll use it to back engineer the install with a micrometer along with a 9 volt transistor battery and an LED probe...

Sorry for derailing this thread a bit: is there a thread somewhere on your pizza layout? It will be very interesting. Thanks.

index.php
Thanks for the shout back. I originally got the idea back in 1980 while aboard the USS Eisenhower during the Iran Hostage Rescue Mission. We spent 258 days at sea and I found this 4' x 4' piece of packing foam that I turned into a round N scale layout. It followed me during my career in the Navy and made three deployments, in essence sailing around the world twice. I lost the little layout in a very, very bloody divorce in 2003 and after a couple of years of being homeless, I finally was able to get back on my feet financially and built this. I must give total credit to Bill Baron and his article in the June 1966 issue of MR "Model Railroad In a Coffee Table". This project has brought me much joy and it has seen me through Chemo/Radiation for Throat Cancer and an adverse reaction to the Moderna COVID Vaccine.

Thanks for the shout back. I originally got the idea back in 1980 while aboard the USS Eisenhower during the Iran Hostage Rescue Mission. We spent 258 days at sea and I found this 4' x 4' piece of packing foam that I turned into a round N scale layout. It followed me during my career in the Navy and made three deployments, in essence sailing around the world twice. I lost the little layout in a very, very bloody divorce in 2003 and after a couple of years of being homeless, I finally was able to get back on my feet financially and built this. I must give total credit to Bill Baron and his article in the June 1966 issue of MR "Model Railroad In a Coffee Table". This project has brought me much joy and it has seen me through Chemo/Radiation for Throat Cancer and an adverse reaction to the Moderna COVID Vaccine.
Welcome to our forums, we are glad to have you with us. Thank you for your service to our country.

Wow, you have been through the ringer more than once and you keep getting up, my man!

I am of no help with your question, but I felt compelled to send you this message.

I lost my trains from my youth, and I was flat broke after a divorce. I have had a few health problems along the way too. You have had it even worse than I have. You are an inspiration! Getting back into trains and the members of this forum carried me through my darkest hours. I doubt you could find a better group of people.

Stop by the coffee shop, nice bunch of people talking about anything and everything, train related or not. All we avoid is politics and religious debates.

I wish you well!

Back