Wiring Diagram Plan for DC/DCC use for my layout.

Lucas B

I am planning out how to wire my layout for the use of DC and DCC, this is my 1st time wiring a layout of this size.
So I have done some research into this but I want to try to have a system with both DC and DCC being ran at the same time but in different block sections.
But I want to make sure that what I'm doing is good and will work, if I have to change some things that is okay.

Here is a rough diagram of what I would want to do with the wiring and switches.
The 1st image is of the Bottom/Main layer of the layout.
https://www.trainboard.com/highball/index.php?media/20230805_220618.146272/
The 2nd image is of the Top layer
https://www.trainboard.com/highball/index.php?media/20230805_220632-1.146273/
Just to give context the Highlighted blue/orange section is for engines powered by DCC to transfer from the Main Line to the upper area or vise-versa

I am planning out how to wire my layout for the use of DC and DCC, this is my 1st time wiring a layout of this size.
So I have done some research into this but I want to try to have a system with both DC and DCC being ran at the same time but in different block sections.
But I want to make sure that what I'm doing is good and will work, if I have to change some things that is okay.
Using DC and DCC on the same layout at the same time is A Very Bad Idea. Even if you are running a DC train in one block and a DCC train in another block, it only takes a fraction of a second of one or the other coming into contact with its opposite, and it "will" destroy your controller, DCC system, or both. All it takes is a single wheel to bridge the gap between them, and it's over.
Now that hopefully I've scared you into not doing this in the way you were asking, you can have both on one layout, just not at the same time. I have both on my layout, with everything going through a double-pole, double-throw, center-off switch. Put everything DC on one pair of connections on the switch, put the layout feed in the center connections, and the DCC on the connections opposite the ones for the DC power. That way, you aren't going to accidentally bump the switch and short everything together, and the center off part should help keep the two from being momentarily bridged.

Yea, I did see that being said alot but I kinda wish/wondered if there was a alterative. But it does make complete sense and I understand for why both SHOULDN'T be used at the same time. And for the DPDT switch I was going to use 4 of them for 4 feeds to different sections of the layout as it shows on the 1st image, 2 for each main line track and the other 2 for rest of the branches/yards/side tracks, and each one of them having switches to turn on/off power for the feed and for each track section.

I would still install a "Master" DC/DCC switch as @bnsf971 has suggested to prevent any accidents, rather be safe than expensively sorry.

Hi The DCC decoders can work on DC, but they are not happy- you will find that you need a high starting voltage even with the DCC set to "DC". You need to tell the decoder to work in DC mode during programming. I suggest that you choose one way, and stick with it. DCC is more forgiving on everything except reversing loops, of course. I started in DCC with the old stuff in Model Railroader by Keith Gutierrez (some tine in the 1980s). It was "small" at the time, but barely fit into HO scale engines. I did a lot of hand soldering... Anyway, the decoders today are nothing short of spectacular

Back