Wire-in-tube manual turnout throws?

Has anyone used wire-in-tube for ground throws? I am looking for small diameter plastic tubing and stiff wire. It might be used for RC planes, I don't know what it is called.

Previously, I used Caboose Hobbies ground throws at each turnout and coat hanger wire for sliding Kadee under track magnets. I would like to use manual control but put it at the edge of the layout.

If you are interested, I build a simple sliding mechanism for each Kadee magnet. I bent thin aluminum sheet (soda cans) into C-channels. On the bottom of each magnet I epoxied a grommet from a Pop rivet to grab the push wire. Pull, and it stopped exactly under the track. Push and it moved out from under the track.

I have used brass tubing and solid wire in the past, and plan to do so in the future. Might try brass over plastic.

I used a choke/throttle cable, but this was installed over 20 years ago, but it still works. The modern cables mentioned above weren't available at the time.

I have ordered, but not used, the throw levers from www.humpyard.com. They use wire in teflon tubing for the action. Also Blue Point makes turnout controls for manual push/pull using similar setups.

Back