Wire Harness Digitrax SDXH166D - Cut Wire

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I accidentally cut one of the capacitor wires (Black) on the speaker harness on a Digitrax SDXH166D. Two questions:

Is the capacitor necessary to use the decoder and its sound effects?

Is the wire harness repairable?

Thanks.

Greg

flyboy2610

Loveably weird
I believe it is beneficial to have the capacitor. You should be able to splice the harness back together. I don't believe the wire length is critical.

wvg_ca

yes, the capacitor helps with the operation of the decoder ...
and yes, join the two ends together, solder, and shrink tube, the wire length is not very critical

kjd

Go make something!
If the wire goes to one of those little insulation displacement connectors, I have just pulled the wire out and pressed in a new piece. I made a little tool with a piece of brass rod and a file to fit between the metal bits that hold the wire. You might have to pull the shrink wrap back a little to get to the connector. Or like the others said, if you have enough left, just solder it back together.

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I made a repair to the wire harness this afternoon. There was just enough of the Black wire that I could use a fine needle nose pliers to pull the wire out of the plastic housing along with the small metal connector pin. I remove the unused Yellow wire and re-installed it into the plastic housing and then soldered the Yellow wire on the the tail of the black.

1587764158144.png

There wasn't enough of the Black wire to do any soldering to make a repair.

Thanks everyone for your advise.

Greg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.