Winterquarters/Car Shops for circus and showtrains

Walthers followed with another "glue the sides and roof" together kit, 933-1367, The Hippo Wagon. A new decal set, same circus names, but new colors and some scroll decals, and also gave you a preview of a wagon three releases in the future.
IMG_5850.JPGIMG_5851.JPGIMG_5852.JPG

Just want to let you guys know, I really enjoy this thread. Such great work and I've long been a fan of circus history and equipment. Never was all that big on the actual show itself.

Hey Johnny, looks amazing! Could you tell me how you did the chain, the ring on the corner of the wagon and 3-D skyboard and lower scrolling? Much improved appearance over mine!

Hey Johnny, looks amazing! Could you tell me how you did the chain, the ring on the corner of the wagon and 3-D skyboard and lower scrolling? Much improved appearance over mine!
CHAIN; I used small chain and twisted a small(hairlike) wire through it like you would tie a loaf of bread. this gave me a tightly twisted wire that I could insert into a hole drilled by a No.77 twist drill bit. I did this on both sides to hold the tongue up. CORNER RINGS; They are made the same way you do the chain only you use a 3mm jump ring found in Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Again drill a No.77 hole and insert the wire into it. SCROLLS; The scrolls are made from scroll work I've collected through the years from other models or long out of production pieces.

The 9th installment in the wagon series went back to a red resin casting. #933-1368, the Stake and Chain wagon. It featured a half "canvas" top that added interest when painted.
IMG_5853.JPGIMG_5854.JPGIMG_5855.JPG

After I photograph the models, I use the picture to 'tweek' the scene. In this photo, I made a run out of and old 40' flat but I will replace it with an actual set of runs that will make the scene better and more realistic in photos.
42.JPG

In response to Joe's stake and chain wagon, here is how I did mine. I mounted the wagon on a truck and added the tie downs. The tie downs are made by drilling for and placing eye bolts along the bottom to tie the 'rope' to. I then drilled holes into the canvas to insert the other end of rope and acc'ed the rope.
New-Out99995_99994.JPG

Besides HO scale, I've also acquired a rather large collection of 3/4" scale models built in the 40's and 50's. Some of the wagons arrived from Florida in rather poor condition. Here is a small Tableux No.83 that I refurbished.
ASB83c (5).JPG
DSCN9825.JPG

I'm just gonna share some pics of my 3/4" collection too. This is a picture of the elephant car for the show. I have 8 railroad cars for the show; 2 stocks and 6 flats.
DSCN9471.JPG

In this view for comparison purposes, you can see that the builder, Charlie Spencer, actually made his own trucks and wheelsets from wood as well.
DSCN0574.JPG

Back