Wilson North Carolina

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I visited The Hobby Barn today in Wilson, NC. A good sized store with more stuff on the shelves than most model railroad stores. I wandered upstairs when I saw the sign; To The Trains. I new they had a layout but I wasn't expecting one that large. 120X20 feet. Probably at least 7 scale miles of mainline. It is made up of modules that appear permanently attached together. One of the more notable things about the layout was the operating signal system, i.e. block detection and the computer monitoring system. One of the operators told me the name of the operating program. It's not JMRI but it works with their Digitrax system. I was inspired to buy some stuff while I was in the store; a BLMA J-89 flat car and a handful of detailing stuff for some other projects back home.

I visited The Hobby Barn today in Wilson, NC. A good sized store with more stuff on the shelves than most model railroad stores. I wandered upstairs when I saw the sign; To The Trains. I new they had a layout but I wasn't expecting one that large. 120X20 feet. Probably at least 7 scale miles of mainline. It is made up of modules that appear permanently attached together. One of the more notable things about the layout was the operating signal system, i.e. block detection and the computer monitoring system. One of the operators told me the name of the operating program. It's not JMRI but it works with their Digitrax system. I was inspired to buy some stuff while I was in the store; a BLMA J-89 flat car and a handful of detailing stuff for some other projects back home.

thanks for the info man !!! im in CLEMMONS,NC which is just WEST of Winston-Salem ,NC actually . I am beginning an HO scale layout 4x8 ft table and I was buying all my items on HobbyLinc site and you actually earn discounts with them as well ! 1000 pts = $1.00 off your total :cool: .

One of the more notable things about the layout was the operating signal system, i.e. block detection and the computer monitoring system. One of the operators told me the name of the operating program.
Probably Bruce Chubb's C/MRI. Computer Model Railroad Interface. It has been the standard for this sort of thing since the mid-1980s. It is used on the Greeley museum's layout and a couple of my friends. When I actually get around to building a layout I will use it as well. I actually bought the book way back then but lost it before I could read/use any of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Railroad and Company. Our own Rexhea uses it on his layout, and all his signals function, and he even uses it to auto run 3 passenger trains at once. His is all Digitrax.

thanks for the info man !!! im in CLEMMONS,NC which is just WEST of Winston-Salem ,NC actually . I am beginning an HO scale layout 4x8 ft table and I was buying all my items on HobbyLinc site and you actually earn discounts with them as well ! 1000 pts = $1.00 off your total :cool: .

I grew up in W-S but now live down in Charlotte. Get back about once a quarter.

Ken thanks for the update on the Train Barn in Wilson. Ive been meaning to get to that shop for a few years now, but that part of NC is not one that I often visit anymore; not since my grandparents passed away years ago. Need to make it out that way sometime and check it out...
This part of NC, Little Choo Choo is 45 min away in Spencer or Blueridge in Greenville,SC at 1:45 are really the only two LHS options...

Brad

Hobby Barn

Hey guys I tured Ken on to that when he was down that way doing some work. I did a google search on afternoon 2 years ago and found it. The store is pretty awesome. It has a ton of HO scale stuff with some N scale and even some G Scale. The layout upstairs is something that you truely have to see to believe. (watch you head though as the ceiling slopes inward in areas). Last time I was there they had a very sweet operating session going and to see everything work together that well was awesome. I would recommend the drive to anyone in the state of NC. I have never left out of there with less than $300 worth of stuff.

Hey guys I tured Ken on to that when he was down that way doing some work. I did a google search on afternoon 2 years ago and found it. The store is pretty awesome. It has a ton of HO scale stuff with some N scale and even some G Scale. The layout upstairs is something that you truely have to see to believe. (watch you head though as the ceiling slopes inward in areas). Last time I was there they had a very sweet operating session going and to see everything work together that well was awesome. I would recommend the drive to anyone in the state of NC. I have never left out of there with less than $300 worth of stuff.

I need to head over there sometime. I just got back from San Diego about two weeks ago and of course went to the SD MRR Museum; so Im a little de-senitized to huge layouts right now. The SD museum is pretty cool imho. Needs a hobby shop near it though...

Back