will this work

unkaboose

thinkin bout goin off to the right of layout with a switchyard, everything from switches on main and rails and switches to right are not officially connected , i just layed them loosely. anyway will this work on DC? if it does it will give me a way to change direction if needed. thanks 20150423_103236 (1).jpg20150423_103245.jpg

Ukaboose:

It looks like from what I see that you may have created a reverse loop in your track arrangement. Reverse loops require special wiring to reverse the polarity of the track electrical feeds. The wiring will require creating isolated sections of track and wiring a DPDT switch to handle reversing the polarity.

Check other posts on the forum for more detailed information n reverse loops.

Thanks.

Greg

Technically you created a Wye, but the wiring is pretty much the same as for a reverse loop. You need to put insulated joiners in one of the legs coming from the main layout to the yard.....once that is done, you could run trains without problems, but to be able to get trains out of the yard in both directions, you would need the switch greg mentions.

If you put the wye in front of the yard, you should be able to turn a whole train & make the yard 4-5 tracks wide vs only 3 using your plan. If you have short locos & cars the why curves could be 15" R & use a wye switch. It's probably already been done in a published snap track plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya i kinda figured id have to use dpdt switches or isolate the yard and use a seperate power supply which would make it less functional. i was trying to figure a way to change rolling stock without removing by hand

You could make 1-2 yard tracks a removable "staging tray". That way rolling stock can be rolled on/off the tray w/o having to 0-5-0 any of them. Make as many extra trays to hold many as you want. Attached an image showing them in a drawer but they could go on a shelf also.

319-STAGING TRAY DRAWER.jpg

Back