Wide Portal for HO

TomR

I have a homemade tunnel that needs a 5-1/2 to 6 inches wide portal. This is because of the track spacing and because the tracks start to curve exiting the portals.

I was looking at Scenic Expresses portals, and aside from some not being clear on dimensions I can't seem to find something the right width. If it was the right width but too tall, I could cut it down.

I really feel like I want something like the WD1257 http://www.sceneryexpress.com/products.asp?dept=1070

but the thing is too narrow.

What's an easy way to get something 4" high and 5-3/4 inches wide that looks good??

Or get a larger scale concrete portal and cut it down in height.

well, that's what I was hoping for but I looked all over the Internet and could not find a portal between 5.5 and 6 inches wide to cut down.

I guess I could try to make one out of foam board, but I ain't that good at carving things. My ADD will get me. :)

Maybe you could get a double track portal and set it in at an angle? That is what I plan to try for the same situation I will have (when I finally build my mountain)

Make it yourself out of Foam Board.

Is there a special type of foam board that I can get that I can carve lines in to look like stacked cut rock? I was thinking of using a clay glaze. This is what the portals look like now:

tunnel-and-bridge.jpg

I have the same problem on my build..A double fits the roadbed but wont clear long cars. I am either going to make one from foam board or maybe what our club did. We made a mold on wood adding the entrance cut-out. We poured w/ hydrocal and now carving the stone into them. (more like cut rock) I also thought of making a rubber mold off a double, then cut the keystone out and replacing it with a larger keystone and filling the gap to obtain a few more scale feet. Our club needed 4 matching ones so we molded them.

I have the same problem on my build..A double fits the roadbed but wont clear long cars. I am either going to make one from foam board or maybe what our club did. We made a mold on wood adding the entrance cut-out. We poured w/ hydrocal and now carving the stone into them. (more like cut rock) I also thought of making a rubber mold off a double, then cut the keystone out and replacing it with a larger keystone and filling the gap to obtain a few more scale feet. Our club needed 4 matching ones so we molded them.

When you and others refer to "foam board", what is it exactly??

I have one portal that was also too wide for any portal I could find, so I cut one in two at the peak ,mounted it on a backing (I can't remember what anymore) I then added plaster in the space and carved it to attempt to match the stone work. I have a picture I'll try to post this week end. If I did it again, I might use automotive Bondo for the stone work since I've had better success since making stone work for a bridge.

When you and others refer to "foam board", what is it exactly??

Foam board is a thin, foam core board, waffered in like cardstock. It can be cut easily with a razor knife. Comes in black or white sheets around 2ft x 2 ft at craft departments. Some guys can form a perfect cut/layered foam pieces to obtain a concrete entrance. On our club layout we built a stone arch bridge with foam sheets(not foam board)and he took a couple eraser-less pencils he deshaped and pressed them ramdomly into the foam to create a stone pattern and painted/weathered.

Back