Why not: ESC & Servo Tester?

jrb

Some will know what the title means; these are items from the world of electric powered rc models.

ESC is electronic speed control – controls the speed of an electric motor using Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) driving FETs (field effect transistors)

Normally this device is controlled via the “receiver” that also operates other model controls via servos.

But, a servo tester can be used instead of the RX & TX.

$20 will get you a servo tester and an ESC!

Power can be supplied by batteries or something like a PC power supply.

My N gauge engine seems to run really well on this type of set-up.

In the end this would let me have a system set-up with the proper voltage for Z scale.

Make any sense?

TIA,

Jim

This is very similar to how DCC works except that you wouldn't be able to control anything but motor speed. I can't see how this would work to control a DCC sound card since the voltage and electronics would be to too dissimilar. You're really setting up a proprietary system (in terms of model railroads) to run your trains. As long as you only want motor control and will only run your own engines on your own layout, it should work. The big advantage of DCC is that it's standardized so my engine will run on your layout and vice versa. I really couldn't live without a system that didn't allow me to use sound and set all the different varibales for speed control on the motor. There's no reason why what you propose wouldn't work, I just don't think it's a very good idea.

...You're really setting up a proprietary system (in terms of model railroads) to run your trains...
There's no reason why what you propose wouldn't work, I just don't think it's a very good idea.

I agree. This type of control system has been discussed here and elsewhere many times before. Some shortcomings would include current battery technology, plus the complexity of adding RC channels to an already crowded spectrum. Ever been to a busy RC track and hear, "Who's got my channel?", before starting a race?

With it being a proprietary system, it would have to have some form of DC and DCC compatibilty to be "accepted". Just talk to Mike from Mike's Train House, and ask how his proprietary DCS system is selling in HO.

Don't see much DDC being done for Z!

There actually is more than you generally see. The Digitrax systems, that are the separate command boosters, like the DB150, DCS100, etc all have a switch on them to switch between O/G, HO, N/Z scales. I believe this switch lowers the voltage to the track.

Digitrax and TCS both make Z scale decoders from 2 to 5 functions IIRC. I just installed 2 DZ-125 decoders in an HO 0-6-0 and 4-6-0, because there isn't room for anything bigger. I am not familiar with the other brands of deoders and what they have for Z, but anything that can power, or be used in HO, larger or smaller scales, like signal detection, short circuit protection, etc can also be used in Z. Except for decoders, there's not much difference in DCC between the scales.

Back