why is brass soooo cheap

blackz28

i was crusin evilbay when i noticed that some of the cheapest H.O. loco's are brass , why??? has the shine come off the braa sort to speak lol:p
i just find it strange , i mean brass used to be the standard

ohhh & its my ........1000th POST :D:D:D:D:D:D:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would depend on the manufacturer. Go to the Overland Models web page and be sitting down when you check the prices there.

probably just the maufacturer and their reputation for quality I have two diesels(nw-5s) ordered and waiting for delivery and they are $760 a piece

lol MSRP on overland or any builder is thru the roof but ebay seems to have a ton of cheap brass

i was crusin evilbay when i noticed that some of the cheapest H.O. loco's are brass , why??? has the shine come off the braa sort to speak lol:p
i just find it strange , i mean brass used to be the standard
No, it is simply that all brass is not created equal. There is different quality of brass just like everything else. Even different runs from the different the vendors go for different prices. For example PFM did a run of a GN O8 (heavy 2-8-2) done in 1975, but it was put to shame by the run they did in 1979, and again an even better one (with can motor!) was done in 1983. Consequently the price for the 1975 and 1979 models went through the floor.

Each Brass release can kill the price of prior models. Then there is also the high quality die-cast and plastic things being produced. Ever since BLI came out with the AT&SF 4-8-4 the brass prices have fallen. People who buy the locos to run and not just sit on the shelf cannot pass up the better running die-cast ones, hence there is not the market for the old ones. I got a brass 4-8-4 of this model the other day for under $100. Operationally it is not even close to the BLI.

I actually saw this trend coming way back when and sold my brass collection for top dollar. I used that money to buy a great deal more plastic/diecast models that really run well, and look great.

Buying brass is a tricky thing, selling can be even trickier. One must be fully aware of all the past runs, quantities of each run, and all future announced runs to know when to buy and sell.

I just got a new NP Z-6 (4-6-6-4). I have wanted a model of this loco for for over 30 years! In 1982 I could have purchased one for $300. That was a lot way back then. Recently I could have gotten an old United one for about $600, but I wouldn't have wanted to give more than $300. It just isn't the quality of models today. Of course I still want the W&R one released in 2006(?) but they have climbed in price from $2400 then to $3100 now. The new one is a Sunset Model. I know not the greatest name in brass, but.. I got it at the occasional "name your own price" sale from Uncle Dave's.

what kind of brass stuff? Remember allot of stuff produced in the seventies, and eighties and early nineties was cutting edge for its time but if they have produced the same items in plastics within the last fifteen years your probably better off with the plastic

case in point the omi bl-2 of the mid eighties the p2k version blows it out of the water as far as detail is concerned

I only buy brass stuff if it has not been produced in plastic

A friend of mine passed away last year, he had over 50 brass HO scale locos. His son sold off most everything else at local shows, then a part time seller bought the rest including all the brass. He put it all on eBay, and I checked though his sales (I know his eBay ID) and noted the steam engines all sold for decent prices ($600-900) but all of the diesels went for very low prices, under $200.00. I assume this is because there are so many great high quality plastic diesels available these days. That could be one of the reasons why some brass is cheap.

... I assume this is because there are so many great high quality plastic diesels available these days. That could be one of the reasons why some brass is cheap.

Bob, I believe that its because most of the older diesels, esp pre 1990, had garbage mechanisms. Really good running diesel mechs didn't become popular until then.

Well-used brass, some tarnish, needing work, older and not well detailed...those go for peanuts these days. However, if you go on sites selling new issues of brass, particularly the more popular steamers of the Class 1's of yesteryear, be prepared to be shocked. The bargain Sunset models are about the cheapest on the market, and they do come with a decoder installed, but they are still going for $1000 or more a pop. Their runs are very limited. I believe his suppliers made fewer than 250 CPR 2-10-4 Selkirks for Uncle Dave's Brass (John Gurdak). Look for a good quality Allegheny or Y6b Mallet and be prepared to learn what a choking horse feels like. No decoder, either.

wow, but honestly i cant see putting down all that cash on an articulated when there is outstanding models from MTH &BLI & ATHEARN , the brass market is locos that the other makers will not run like a 2-10-4 selkirk

Well, what if none of those importers make anything you need. That is the case with me. None of those importers, except for BLI, make any locos lettered for the SRR. The ones BLI makes aren't true SRR locos, as they don't have the appliances, (details) that were common on their locos. I have them covered by PFM brass, which were cheaper BTW. Plus after a little tweaking, run better than any of those makes and I've seen them all.

I recently was casually looking at the price of a 4-6-2 Firefly, by Precision Scale Company. While I'm sure it's worth the $$, it's waaaay out of my price range.

I have them covered by PFM brass, which , run better than any of those makes and I've seen them all.
i dont know, bli / mth & even the new bachmann with replaced TSUNAMI decoders , tough to top :D

I don't do sound. Its tinny and sounds terrible.
i love sound on steam but i can only have a couple of diesels that are sound, cause if you have 6 or seven diesels idling in a yard it can drive you insane :p
but without sound the decoders are really cheap so it does save you some cash , smart:D

What has really spoiled the sound for me is three things.
1. 3 days demonstrating a PFM sound unit in a O-scale US Hobby's L&N Berkshire with a HUGE speaker in it. Since then sound in locos gives me headache after 10minutes.
2. Cab ride in 4501 in 1974. That was some real good sound. Felt it more than heard it.
3. Cab ride in 4449 in 1976. Same as above x 10. Was able to do onboard tape recording of this. Magnificent!

Since then model sounds aren't even on the same coast. I had 1 sound loco for my grandson, but it has come out, and I don't think its going back in.

Back