Why a local hobby shop is dying

I think one problem that a lot of hobby shops haven't addressed is that yes, if you want to keep business that would otherwise go to the web, you have to stress service and make the place pleasant to visit. The "old fashioned hobby shop dude" who doesn't know what's in stock and can't be bothered to serve you anyhow is, frankly, still around, at least as long as his store stays in business. I went to a well-regarded shop for many years but have tapered off going there because they screw up my orders, don't have new items in stock, and DCC? what's that? I'm lucky that ten miles down the road there's a better-managed place.

There are a lot of factors in a successful brick and mortar hobby store operation. But two you can't neglect are service and a pleasant place to shop.

I do conduct some hobby business on line but am lucky enough to live in a city where there are three or four good hobby shops. I prefer them over the net because I prefer a personal relationship. It's also nice to be able to see and touch something before buying. Can't do that on the net! Support your LHS if you can. The small percentage over online costs is worth it for the support you get from a good shop, and if you become a regular, a "bread & butter customer", they will take care of you. In several instances I have seen that small difference between brick & mortar store pricing & online pricing disappear if you are a good customer. You also can't lay away on line that I have found (other than some brass dealers letting you spread payments over a fixed time period).

That is very true Alan! I have found that if you become a regular, and even do some repairs and stuff for the shop, be it a complete engine rebuild, or just installing a set of couplers, not only is the customer happy, but you get to become part of the "service to the customer", that is so very important nowadays.

There are a lot of factors in a successful brick and mortar hobby store operation. But two you can't neglect are service and a pleasant place to shop.

This too is extremely necessary to the success of the LHS. I just went to our LHS, looking for a speaker for a brass E-5 install, and the owner, because I was a regular, threw me the key to the DCC cabinet, (which he never would have done if I was first or second time customer), and said "Have fun!" It took me only a minute to find what I needed, and about another two minutes to pay for it. The store was full of customers and I didn't take him away from serving others, whose needs were probably greater. It's nice to have the trust of a shop owner that will allow you to go where others aren't allowed.

That is an absolutely brilliant idea.
Yes, but easier to say than to implement. I tried a similar theme way back in 1982. A struggling local hobby shop had a gaming area. To support them I moved my D&D game to their store. Players had to use position markers (figures), dice, and other paraphernalia that had been purchased at the store. If not there was a gaming fee they had to pay to play. It got really complicated really quick when the game stretched into weeks and months and there were new people joining, others missing a few sessions and then coming back. What constituted "a game". How much supporting material had to be purchased at the hosting store. Certainly not duplicate hand books, and if one purchased one set of dice there could they intermix with others they already owned. What if the store didn't have the item they really wanted, was that exempt. etc. etc. It became more bookkeeping than game playing.

Yes, but easier to say than to implement. I tried a similar theme way back in 1982. A struggling local hobby shop had a gaming area. To support them I moved my D&D game to their store. Players had to use position markers (figures), dice, and other paraphernalia that had been purchased at the store. If not there was a gaming fee they had to pay to play. It got really complicated really quick when the game stretched into weeks and months and there were new people joining, others missing a few sessions and then coming back. What constituted "a game". How much supporting material had to be purchased at the hosting store. Certainly not duplicate hand books, and if one purchased one set of dice there could they intermix with others they already owned. What if the store didn't have the item they really wanted, was that exempt. etc. etc. It became more bookkeeping than game playing.

Should have just charged the fee, unless they made a purchase in the store that day.

G'day from Australia...I live in a little country town of about 800 people in Australia's smallest state (Tasmania) but thanks to the internet I can enjoy , probably too much at times,
the world's greatest hobby..On the few occasions I've visited a couple of our hobby shops here , other than British Hornby or cheap Lifelike stuff the range is poor and relatively expensive.
Hooray the internet...I just bought two Athearn Genesis...sound locos delivered to my door within 24 hours from payment for under $600 as an example..A privately bought as new MTH was less successful but that's not the sellers fault... Nearly all my stuff is from the internet ....I think for the really big retailers both here and in the USA...prices and availability may be affordable with bulk stock but for the corner hobby store , maybe their days are numbered...as Hank suggests....Cheers Rod..

Back