Who makes an SD70MAC or SD70M with flared radiators?

Hi Who makes the SD70MAC or SD70M or SD70 whatever comes with flared radiators, who makes it, but it must be an SD70M or MAC, so what company makes it?

thanks
Austin

Overland.

There's a resin kit option to get the parts, I have one, and I dislike it. If you wait a few years (I'm hoping within the next year), Rail Flyer has an SD70/SD70M chassis, cab & shell kit in the early planning stages now. I figure I'll be waiting 'til then, after I finish on kit bash with the resin kit.

ok thanks josh, i also heard from a guy that does custom paint and detail work that kato has had some talk about making an SD70M with flared radiators, you heard anything about it?

thanks
Austin

Yes Athearn Would be alot better then kato in my opinion, i like athearn RTR and there Genesis line, very well detailed, very well runners, very smooth runners. And plus i have a digitrax empire builder and Digitrax and Athearn have a deal so now Digitrax decoders fit into only athearn locomotives:( . So that means that i can only buy Athearn locomotives, luckily they have a big selection and have lots of modern locmotives.

thanks
Austin

Austin, You can use many kinds of decoders on your Digitraz system. Anything that is made to the NMRA standards. I like to use TCS decoders the best. TCS has a nice full board replacement for Athearn Genesis engines that has 1.5V outputs for the Athearn light bulbs.

Don't think you have to buy Athearn engines for your digitrax system, or that you have to put Digitrax decoders in engines so they'll run on your system.

I do agree that Athearn would make a nicer looking flared SD70 than Kato would. But Kato still runs a little better.

Oh so i can put 9 pin decoders in KATO locmotives? because the guy that owns the train stop down in San Dimas California told me that i shouldnt have went with Digitrax because of the reason i said above. He said that he would have went with the LENZ system or the new Bachmann system thats coming out (i forgot the name of it) but Bachmann came out with a new system that he showed me its REALLY REALLY nice. He also said that Digitrax doesnt meet NMRA standards, they have there own standards.

is all this true about digitrax? or can i put any plug n play decoder into any KATO, or Athearn or any brand that i want and it will run on my Digitrax system?

Also do you know if KATTO, Athearn Genesi, and Athearn RTR run well together?

thanks
Austin

Good news; I want to model and SD70 with the flared radiators, so I'll keep an eye out for Rail Flyer or Kato.

Digitrax meats NMRA as far as I know. MARX however, Does not. I'd assume either Athearn, OR Kato would be viable, as both have already done a flare in N scale, both on SD70M's. I'm not sure if we'll ever get MAC's with flares, as they're rare in the proto world.

ok josh thanks, what system do you use, and can u give me a list of your materials used for your scenery, because i model tehachapi pass and i need to know how to do that type of scenery.

thanks
Austin

I don't have DCC yet, however, I'm only used NCE, as thats what they run on the Tehachipi layout at the San Diego Model Railroad Musuem. I plan to buy an NCE system very soon.

As for scenery, it really depends on the season you model.

i want to model the season that san diego mrr museum models. So do you know what ii could use to make it look like that?

thanks
Austin

Woodland Scenics make a large amount of the ground foam, that should be just about all you need, besides a few bushes.

The ground foam is already colored. Check out one of the railroad photo sites for pictures, to pick the color you need.

Ok josh thanks, but i checked on the website (woodlandscenics.com) and i could not find the ground fowm? what do i look under to find it?

thanks
Austin

They don't call it ground foam at the WS web site and the darn thing uses frames so you can't do a link. At their web site, go to Landscaping on the Left and then Ground Cover. There's a ton of different types of products to choose from.

Yes Athearn Would be alot better then kato in my opinion, i like athearn RTR and there Genesis line, very well detailed, very well runners, very smooth runners. And plus i have a digitrax empire builder and Digitrax and Athearn have a deal so now Digitrax decoders fit into only athearn locomotives:( . So that means that i can only buy Athearn locomotives, luckily they have a big selection and have lots of modern locmotives.

thanks
Austin

You can basically use any decoder in any locomotive, so long it physically fits and can provide enough current for the motors. It all depends on how much work you are willing to and are able to put into the installation. If you stick with direct plug-in style units it might limit you a bit. I'm using NCE D13SR decoders in everything I have and they work great.

+1 for Athearn too. :)

Mark

Back