Whitecourt Mimicry in HO

McLeod

Forest Lurker
Hello

I was close to turning 65yrs in February of 2020, when I was standing on a snow-hill over-looking the CN tracks in Whitecourt, Alberta. Up until that point, I had never noticed a whole lot about trains. Then one came by, at a speed that I thought was away too fast for in town travel. I took a photo of that train. That was my very first railroad photo, and I suppose was the first bite of the railroad bug.

This was that very first photo:
CN 2862_ES44AC 02-13-2020 (1).JPG

After I took that photo, and others photo's to follow over the following days, I decided that I was going to get into the railway hobby. I was already a modeller, just one who modelled in plastic and R/C aircraft balsa.

So, after much thought, I claim this spot in layout construction, to record my simple efforts in the building of my first layout.

Some time back, I had decided to build a layout very loosely compatible with the actual real layout of Whitecourt town and CN track. I realized that the set-up would not be an exact match to the real thing. It would be geared to a 'somewhat' resemblance, and have a heavy slant to grand-children being able to play with it without total destruction.
So, my basic plan was to have town buildings, a complete, fairly long circle to run a train, a good staging yard, industries with switching opportunities, and a road around the layout where children could run little dinky cars. For myself, the joy would be in the building and modelling of the layout.

Anyway, construction of the layout did begin in 2021. It proceeded at a snails pace, with real-life priorities constantly interrupting, and the frequent falls from lack of mojo.

However, I do intend to post the efforts here. This thread will be photo heavy, and I hope the photos will describe the construction and modelling well enough. I do not intend to spend lots of time writing words.

I begin with the basement space that I cleaned up, and basic construction of the layout tables. 44" high x 30"deep on average, with a swing-gate entrance.
A basement door needed to move to make room for the layout.
LayoutConst_02-10-2021 (2).JPG

LayoutConst_02-26-2022 (4).JPG

LayoutConst_03-18-2022 (2).JPG

LayoutConst_04-10-2022 (1).JPG

SwingGate_10-21-2022.JPG

To be con't... whether you like it or not!

Looks great so far, I’ll be one of many following along!
I was in a wedding in Whitecourt many many years ago. Had so much fun that we actually got bills in the mail for damages a month later! (minor unintentional damages, just lots of them)
I'm ok now.

During the construction of my layout space and tables, I also began to collect HO locomotives that I thought would work for the era in my head.

I purchased Atheran GP9's
AtheranGP9_02-16-2021 (1).JPG

Atheran RS-3's
AtheranRTR RS-3_01-25-2021 (7).JPG

A Rapido SW1200 switcher:
Rapido SW1200_02-10-2022 (1).JPG

And for the grand-kids, a Bachmann Prairie steam engine:
Bachmann_04-04-2022.JPG

And, I started building Sylvan vehicle kits, kit-bashed a 1/72 Zvezda boat to look 1/87, and started painting 1/87 people and scratch-building implements. I was trying to keep the ball rolling, even though I suffered multiple mojo failures:
52 Ford COE_06-24-2022 (3).JPG

52 Ford_05-18-2022 (3).JPG

05-14-2021 (1).JPG

AceHdWrFigures_2021.JPG

To be con't...

GUY - Your attention to detail is marvelous! The weathering and painting on the vehicles is "spot on".
Will be looking for more ... but with Spring/Summer coming on - I will place my money on you slowing down a tad?
That first photo of the "big red machine" is a real keeper!

Thankyou for the kind comments!
Sherrel - Your probably right on a modelling slow-down come spring thaw. Two families have already asked if I will build them new fences, and our own home is getting another repaint.

You can't mimic a small town without making small buildings. I make them when, and as I feel like it.
At the beginning, I didn't really have any small building material. So I attempted to build my first scale building with balsa wood and paint. I even built the windows and doors out of balsa. Needless to say, this building goes to the children:
Bldg1_(1).JPG

So, I got some online internet plans and bought some Tichy windows/doors. Then I began a small, scratch-built garage project just for practice. Again, I used balsa for the body.
The walls were coated with Dap stucco patch to give it the stuccoed look and the balsa strength:
Bldg2_(1).JPG

Then, I finally bought some kits. The first being an Atlas food market kit. I thought I did a fairly neat job in building and painting, but the scale was way out. More like N-scale. - So the building was torn apart and thrown into the parts box. One day, I'll use the brick work to make chimney's and the windows in another scratch-build.
Bldg3.jpg

My next build was the Walthers Hobby Shop kit that I turned into a hardware. I put in my scratch-built implements, painted figures, and some plug-n-play lighting.
Bldg4_(2).JPG

Then came the WS kit that was made into a Cafe'. I think I did alright on that one, but it was a mistake to use a front post Cafe' sign, when the building will be set in front of layout. We'll see how long that sign lasts with the onslaught of grand-children. This bldg. is also lighted.
I think this kit is hydro-cal, but admittedly, I don't know what hydro-cal is.
Bldg5_(1).JPG

I've also worked on my first scene, again from a Walthers kit. The scene will not be completed, because I tore it out on the layout. It was placed completely in the wrong spot; so I'll try again later, and place it in a better spot on the layout.
Bldg6_(1).JPG

Lots of modelling to do; perhaps many years worth.
Presently, I'm working on the CN 3rd class depot. Those photo's will be posted later.

To be con't....

Welcome. Do you have a track plan we can have a look at?
Thankyou for the question.
No, there is no specific track plan.

The layout just follows loosely what I put in my head from loitering around and taking photos of the real CN installations locally:
TrackPlan 1.JPG

When I decided to model a layout, the original thoughts were to model and give grand-kids a place to play with trains. Back then, I did not think I would be headed down a rabbit hole. - But, I cleared and started building in a 10x12 space, with my wife saying 'make sure there's a tunnel and a bridge'.
So, I basically bought Peco code 100 track and started piecing it together on the table I built, adding switches here and there to allow future industries, and trying to maintain 30" curves.
TrackPlan.JPG

TrackPlan 2.JPG

It's becoming a track circle that I'll be modelling buildings, trees, and a river canyon on. I thinking it will just be another ho-hum layout, but, I'm still hoping it will see much use from the growing grand-child list.

I thought I would go ahead and take a photo of the current state of affairs on my small layout. These two photo's describe the layout from a maximum point that I can step back, taking photos with my current cheap camera lens.

Layout_03-10-2024 (1).JPG

Layout_03-10-2024 (2).JPG

You can see that LED strip-lite in the photo's. I'll likely put that up today, which should improve the overall lighting.

The pics also show that plans are formulating in my head and material is being gathered to make a bridge crossing across the great divide. There's a problem I need to work out, though. One side is 1/2" lower than the other side within a 42" space. Not sure if that drop will work out for me, or if I should chisel in a more gradual drop around deadman's curve. Should only need about 1/4" gradual drop.

My mind gets way ahead of myself.
I'm also considering a scene derived from a childhood comic book I enjoyed so much.
War-of-World.jpg

I'm going to try and scratch-build a Martian tripod to make the scene for the kids, pre-cult member Cruise. I've already got a canon kit I can use:
War of Worlds_03-10-2024 (1).JPG

I'm thinking the kids will enjoy a good Martian attack on the layout. It will happen across the river from town.

Anyway, rather than sit here with my nose in the computer, I'd better get doing something. Have a wonderful day!

Today, I was installing acetate clear from blister packs into the Tichy windows/doors of a CN 3rd Class station that I've scratch-built. It started to get a bit tiring, so I thought I would play a-bit. I really dislike doing windows.

I took a photo of the future Main Street and CN yard, trying to imagine how the area would be built up.
Layout_03-11-2024 (1).JPG

As it happens, this is kinda how I imagined the layout even before I'd raised a table. It's reasonably close to what was in Whitecourt in 1965, except the real Main Street is behind the station, on the other side of the tracks. I want Main Street out front so kids can run their dinky cars.
I've already got most of the building kits described in the photo. They just need to get built.

Have a wonderful evening!

Thankyou for the kind comments!
Sherrel - Your probably right on a modelling slow-down come spring thaw. Two families have already asked if I will build them new fences, and our own home is getting another repaint.

You can't mimic a small town without making small buildings. I make them when, and as I feel like it.
At the beginning, I didn't really have any small building material. So I attempted to build my first scale building with balsa wood and paint. I even built the windows and doors out of balsa. Needless to say, this building goes to the children:

So, I got some online internet plans and bought some Tichy windows/doors. Then I began a small, scratch-built garage project just for practice. Again, I used balsa for the body.
The walls were coated with Dap stucco patch to give it the stuccoed look and the balsa strength:
View attachment 183488

To be con't....

Your garage reminded me of the single car garage that was off the alley at a duplex my parents once owned in Washington, D.C. The house and garage were built in the early part of the twentieth century. The garage was quite small. My 16' long Barracuda barely fit in and it was very tight getting the car door open. Had the outward swinging garage doors still been in place, they would not have closed behind the car. It was likely built to accommodate a Model T. That Impala would have never fit in the garage. The structure is showing it's age here in this forty year old photo. The garage doors were long gone, and multiple hits over the years from trucks, negotiating a sharp turn in the alley, took a chunk out of one wall. The interesting thing about this garage, is that the walls appear to have been poured in sections and then assembled on site (or possibly poured in place). What appears to be wooden studs on the inside of the walls were actually molded in concrete features cast in place (probably for added strength). The pebble like concrete surface of the exterior was unpainted. Not sure if it could actually be considered stucco. Doubt the garage is still there.
cathedral ave garage.jpg

Last edited:
McLeod - Don't sell your balsa wood buildings short! I built a meat packing plant based on an article in a 1950's (???) Model Railroader magazine, which was made entirely of balsa wood. (I'll try to post pictures in a few days...time permitting.) Since the building was supposed to be brick, I had to scribe lines representing bricks using a #2 pencil. I painted it with, I think, Floquil dark brown paint. It still stands on my current layout! Keep at it!

I found the photo of my balsa wood meat packing plant. How do I get it to show up on the forum?

Last edited:
One of the buildings that I wanted on my layout, was a CN 3rd Class railway station.
I've always known that one existed in Whitecourt until the late 1960's, however it is now gone into history.

I was able to collect some photo's of the building from off the internet. Here is all that I could find:
3rdClass_1981 (1).jpg

3rdClass_1949(1).jpg

3rdClass_1964 (1).jpg

3rdClass_1964 (2).jpg

CN 3rd Class depots were commonly built throughout Canada in the small town's located along the CN tracks.
I definitely wanted one for my layout, but, didn't know of any kits. So, I decided to scratch-build my own out of balsa wood.

I was able to go online and find a fella who was selling 1/87 plans for a 3rd class, and ordered the file. It took awhile before I started the project, but, when I started carving it out, the process really didn't take long.
The stucco is a coating of Dap Stucco-Patch spread over the 1/16 balsa sheet walls like I was spreading peanut butter. I think it works well, and makes a rock-hard structure surface.

This is where the building is at on this day. Nearly done, with only windows, signs, and weathering to be completed.
3rdClass_03-13-2024 (2).JPG

3rdClass_03-13-2024 (3).JPG

The crawlspace walls are modelling clay pressed onto a balsawood former and painted my concrete colour. I'll need to build a loading dock and stairs in front of the structure.

Presently, I'm trying to complete putting blister-pack glass in the windows/doors. I still have 7 windows to go. Windows and doors have a tendency to annoy me, and it becomes a real chore to work on them. I will soldier on, though, and get it done sooner or later.
3rdClass_03-13-2024 (1).JPG

Also, I've installed one new LED strip light over the layout, where the river crossing will happen. This should make layout work and photography more pleasant.
Layout_03-13-2024 (1).JPG

To be con't...

One of the buildings that I wanted on my layout, was a CN 3rd Class railway station.
I've always known that one existed in Whitecourt until the late 1960's, however it is now gone into history.

I was able to collect some photo's of the building from off the internet. Here is all that I could find:
View attachment 183882
View attachment 183883
View attachment 183884
View attachment 183885

CN 3rd Class depots were commonly built throughout Canada in the small town's located along the CN tracks.
I definitely wanted one for my layout, but, didn't know of any kits. So, I decided to scratch-build my own out of balsa wood.

I was able to go online and find a fella who was selling 1/87 plans for a 3rd class, and ordered the file. It took awhile before I started the project, but, when I started carving it out, the process really didn't take long.
The stucco is a coating of Dap Stucco-Patch spread over the 1/16 balsa sheet walls like I was spreading peanut butter. I think it works well, and makes a rock-hard structure surface.

This is where the building is at on this day. Nearly done, with only windows, signs, and weathering to be completed.
View attachment 183886
View attachment 183887
The crawlspace walls are modelling clay pressed onto a balsawood former and painted my concrete colour. I'll need to build a loading dock and stairs in front of the structure.

Presently, I'm trying to complete putting blister-pack glass in the windows/doors. I still have 7 windows to go. Windows and doors have a tendency to annoy me, and it becomes a real chore to work on them. I will soldier on, though, and get it done sooner or later.
View attachment 183890

Also, I've installed one new LED strip light over the layout, where the river crossing will happen. This should make layout work and photography more pleasant.
View attachment 183891

To be con't...
Guy - Nice looking depot! first one I have ever seen with stucco, ingenious methods there...

Dave LASM

Construction of my scratch-built 3rd Class Station has been completed, for the most part.
So, I took it out into the bright, backyard sunshine for a photo op:
3rdClass_03-17-2024 (1).JPG

I can weather the structure when it's planted on the layout, and signage will need to wait until I get a new printer. The most important now, is to build loading dock and stairs, and get it placed.

Little by little, I move forward on this layout.

At first, my intentions were to scratch-build a loading dock for the 3rd Class depot, out of real wood. That would have been very labour intensive to cut so many deck boards in 1/87.

Fortunately, Walthers kits always seem to provide more parts than required to construct the kit. So it was with the Walthers oil dealership that I built. That kit contained a plastic loading dock about 3"x 9" that wasn't used. So, I thought I might be able to repurpose the piece.

I cut the 3"x 9" dock in half length-wise, and then cut a short chunk off one of those halves. These were all glued together into the configuration that I require. Hardwood stir-sticks were glued underneath the new dock shape, to give it strength.
I'll cut balsa pilings to be glued underneath every scale 8', to give the dock correct height. Also, I'll trim it out with real wood.
3rdClass_03-20-2024 (1).JPG

You can see my plan here:
3rdClass_03-20-2024 (4).JPG

The real trick in using a plastic dock, is to paint it to look real. I've been mulling it over in my mind, and I believe I'll try painting it grey enamel, and then staining it with real wood stain. Not sure how it will turn out, but the whole layout is an experimental field of trying stuff.

Thanks for looking in!

to be con't...

The loading dock was given a top-coat of primer grey. I prime most items I paint; sometimes I think it's just a bad habit.
It's also been trimmed out with 1/16" hardwood, which really gives strength to the length.
3rdClass_03-22-2024 (1).JPG

The camera don't seem to see it as grey, but, it is grey.

While that was drying, I quickly built a form, so I could cut pilings effectively. A total of 32 pilings would be required, and I wasn't into measuring each one. The pilings are 1/8" spruce stick.
3rdClass_03-22-2024 (2).JPG

I believe I'm on the right track with this little adventure, and the HO inspection folks seem to approve. The pilings could have been a-bit thinner, I suppose. Truth is, though, the pilings will hardly be seen on the finished product.
3rdClass_03-22-2024 (3).JPG

I'll need to scratch up at least two sets of stairs for this dock. There will be a parking lot on the right side, and a CN yard on the left side of the scene.

I'm in modelling mode right now, so I'm going to start this little workshop:
Woodshop_03-22-2024 (3).JPG

It won't be built with the candy-canes and trinkets, though. I thought it might make a neat little wood-working shop, for the layout.

To be con't...

As I work through this loading dock deal, I decided to give the deck a light coat of raw sienna oil, to see if I like the colour.
Oils really are a joy to me. They're transparent, and very easy to work with; easy to change if I don't like it. The downside is the extended dry-time.
I like the rich hue of oils, though.

So, I did it. Coated the deck with some raw sienna, and placed it on the layout position so I could visualize what it looked like under the layout lighting:
3rdClass_03-22-2024 (5).JPG

Keep in mind that a wash will happen, possibly some dry-brushing, and definitely a mat coat to lessen the sheen. But, I'll think on it overnight. At the moment, the verdict is still out. - Can't decide if I want to stain the pilings dark, or not, either.
Whatever I do, there's that dry-time to go through. I'm not unhappy with that, as I can start another building in the interim.

to be con't...

And then, on a whim, I decided that I didn't like the raw sienna colour, and changed it to a burnt umber.
3rdClass_03-22-2024 (6).JPG

I'd decided to stain the pilings a dark mahogany, and the umber just seems to make more sense. A sharp eye might notice I broke off a piling during the re-paint. No problems.

to be con't...

Back