Which way to connect to helix?

Habbyguy

Out of the two pics do you guys think I should connect to the helix?
Should I split off the main line as in pic 1? Or Raise the main line and go under like in pic 2?
Thisway1.jpg

Thisway.jpg

I think you should go off the mainline in pic 1.

Hey, I remember your original layout thread.. quit a few months ago. How is the progress? Do you have all the trackwork completed yet? Let's see some progress pics!

I like how the second version creates a branch line or junction.
Just a few more scenic possibilities, maybe throw in a dummy diamond or something?
I'm with Michael... where's the updates?

As always, "It depends". The top part of the layout is a turnback loop where the track goes from adjacent to the aisle to adjacent to the wall. The second diagram shows the track heading to the helix via the center of this area. If it branched off the curve instead as in the first drawing, what would fill that area? Would it be something wonderful that you'd have to give up if you build the second plan, or would the junction and track actually fill a boring space?

I am off to work now, but will tell you all about the updates(lots to say)

Will your helix be going down or up from this level?

The helix goes up from this bottom level. Bottom level's lowest is at 31". Upper level's lowest is at 55".

@John P
I will answer your Q's after work.

If going up then why go down to get under the track in plan 2. I used to have 2 helix's in my layout, both worked flawlessly. I took them out because I didn't like loosing sight of trains for the extended time. One thing you will need to do is enter the helix on a grade matching what the helix grade is. Both top and bottom. So if you go with plan 2 you will have 13 feet of grade before you even get to the helix. Also I would take the short straight section out just before the helix so it is a continual curve. I am not an expert but I do have some experience with helix's. that's my two cents

I agree, and I'm glad that my question's already been answered - if it's going up, then do a branchline type thing to the helix with the helix connector track going over the mainline.

Hey, I remember your original layout thread.. quit a few months ago. How is the progress? Do you have all the trackwork completed yet? Let's see some progress pics!

I just finished ripping it all apart. It was full of flaws. The 2 main lines were at different heights and there was no room to do landscaping between them properly. The yard was on a slope, and the cars would just roll to the bottom. Plus more was wrong with the layout.

So now I was thinking that having one main line on the lower level and having another main line on a upper level. I also would like to have a nice size yard.

But I am having a hard time with this. I am not good at designing. It has been a couple of months of doing research and I still don't know what to do. I feel like giving up but I also really want a layout.

Here is a pic of the benchwork for the upper level. The track is not part of the plan. I was just playing around.

level2.jpg

I am having a little trouble seeing what you are trying to do. With that much distance around your layout you might consider taking a track along the wall on the outside of the layout going from lower level at the 10 across and 3 up point. going up to 10 up and 3 across on the top level. I think that would be close to a 30 foot run. I never could figure out grade % but I don't think this would be an objectionable grade. Just some food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am having a little trouble seeing what you are trying to do. With that much distance around your layout you might consider taking a track along the wall on the outside of the layout going from lower level at the 10 across and 3 up point. going up to 10 up and 3 across on the top level. I think that would be close to a 30 foot run. I never could figure out grade % but I don't think this would be an objectionable grade. Just some food for thought.

If I understand correctly what you mean that would give me at most a 400" run which at 2% grade would only raise it up 8". And I need to go up about 20". And I have thought of doing that before. But a helix is my only way to go up. I have done lots of reading about helix's. And I still want one. :)

Hopefully one day I can buy a house with a basement. But right now I am in a mobile home. And the original owners added two bedrooms to it. The bigger room of the two is where the train is. The smaller one is where the helix is which goes from in the closet to the window. Otherwise the room is for when my mom comes to visit.

It was just a thought. Like I said I don't know how to figure grade %. I usually just look at it and if it looks good I go with it. Now one grade on my layout is real steep. I put some track on a board took a shay, bobber caboose and 2 box cars. hooked up some power and got it moving. as the train moved along the board I started raising the end until it stalled. I let it back down until it moved again. Measured the height at the end and that was to be the grade of my mountain short line. It worked great. you can only pull 2 cars up the grade occasionally 3. I would at a guess say it climbs about 18 " in 5 feet.

Back