Which DCC system with JMRI is best?

but I started 'coding' on PDP8s and PDP11s
.... Hmmmm I started on the IBM 1140 in FORTRAN. Our school had some PDPs but I never used them. I quickly moved to the IBM 360 then a the Burroughs 1700. Wow what a machine that was.

Coders grew to hate assembly language because if the original author dies, or quits, modifying someone elses code is a nightmare - hence harder for an outsider to crack too.
I loved assembly language just because I got to know it so so well I could read the machine code directly. Then I hit the Intel 8086. All the segmented memory hunks. Motorola 68000 was much nicer with its flat memory model. Then I got smart and productive using Turbo Pascal.

So far I've only written one Java DCC program. It was for a manually controlled computer throttle. I was short on Throttles. I started a software archive for the system settings. That was way back when most DCC systems were only 2 digit addressing. The thought was to save the channel/loco assignments off and reload them at will depending on the set of locos on the track. I got a 4 address system long before it the program was even 1/2 way done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info RenegadeC. This is just the type of info I'm looking for. I'm still building out the wooden track foundations and runs. I figure like painting, geting those elevations and levels dialed in now will save allot of heart ache once i start laying track.

Regarding the programing of the JMRI, I am not a programer. I'm a systems analyst. But I have a good friend that is a high school math teacher and has advanced .net programing skills... He's on edge waiting for me to give him problems to solve. For him its fun, I'd rather drive rusty nails into my skull... but thats just me! :) It takes all types to get the job done!

Thank you all for the help.

The other nice part about jmri is that you don't need to be a programmer to make it work. There are alot of already established files that can be used to do what you want to do like using your Android throttle. It is called withrottle and it is an extension of jmri. Withrottle (a part of jmri) links your wireless network to your DCC system via a computer interface ( like a loco buffer or a PR3). As far as using the hardware to control signals its mostly having good documentation about your layout. I would highly recommend reading thru rock Dick Bronson's clinics here if you ever decide to do signaling.

To answer your question a but programming locos...if you plan to use jmri, it has a component called decoder pro which is an excellent method (and generally much simpler method) to program locomotives. You will need a command station that is capable of CV read back to make it fully effective however.

I would say the basics you need are a CV read back capable command station ( I would say a dcs50 for now and add a db150 if you need further power requirements down the road), a computer interface such as a pr3 or loco buffer USB ( I use the loco buffer USB) and jmri. Withrottle ( the program that let's you use android and iPhone apps to run trains via a wireless connection) is included with jmri.

Well with the help of Fred from ModelTrainStuff.com I bought a DCC system.

I was stuck between the Digitrax Zephyr and the NCE Power Cab. The pricing was close, and the Zephyr does offer 3 amps as opposed to 2 for the NCE. But the trend seems to be towards the NCS system. I was fairly convinced that i was buying the Zephyr when I went down there but was still open. digitrax design their systems to support signaling with the digitrax branded components and its fairly easy to do. Well the NCE supports signaling also, just with the use of third party components.

Moving between loco’s on the throttle on the NCE was easy. Programming decoders also seemed easy and straight forward. It was also explained to me that turnout control on the Zephyr is also clumsy. The NCE command system is in the throttle, so you cannot unplug the throttle and move it around. But with the addition of a command station / booster for the additional power the Pro Cab controller becomes a smart throttle. I’ll be able to spread out the cost and scale this system up while still adding a low end NCE throttle to plug into the far side of my layout.

One seeming advantage that Digitrax has over the NCE is its ability to run DC loco’s as device ID 0001. They achieve this by pulsing a DC signal between AC cycles, or something like that. I believe this inherently weakens the AC signal for DCC loco’s; Digitrax seems to have tried to compromise to offer the feature of DC support and backward compatibility. I prefer the AC only design and will just do without the DC support feature.

So I went with the NCE Power Cab. I know that I made the right choice based on the advice of “yous guys” in the forum and the pros at ModelTrainStuff.com. And Fred’s comments about NCE’s awesome service policies just iced it for me.

I use NCE powercab command station with NCE-usb to run trains and Digitrax PR3 interface to operate turnouts. So my answer is both :) I like the nce cab more then digitrax one but still want loconet for turnout sensors and detection -imho best of both worlds. JMRI can easily use more then one interface.

Now just a word of caution. While I indeed can remotely operate a train from my tablet or smartphone it feels awkward . I still like my throttle and can't see android as replacement (although having a controller for guest is good in a pinch of course).

As you work on your JMRi project please post your panel design. I'm very curious to see others solution.

How are you running "Loconet" with the "NCE Powercab" on the same rails?

Someday I hope to have a I-pad just to see how the tortoise switches are set up and to make routing changes. I agree that a real knob is best for throttle. I love my CVP wireless throttles.

If you're going to use JMRI and you want to use phones/tablets as your throttles and panels, then the true "thin dime" version would be Sprog3...

If I were going to do it again, that's what I'd do. I'm very happy with my NCE system, and do use my 'real' throttle at times, but since I run JMRI and use my tablets/phones primarily, sprog would save a lot of money. As someone here pointed out, it's really about whether you need that purpose-built, dedicated throttle or not. If you're happy using phones/tablets (I am), then no need to invest in a system like Digitrax or NCE...

Back