Which DCC Manufacturer is your favorite?

Which DCC Control System do you prefer?

• NCE

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Digitrax

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Lenz

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • MRC

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Bachmann

• NCE POENIX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESU

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • TCS

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Other

• Total voters
The nce power cab is a two amp system. I am not knowledgeable about DCC systems. Can anyone explain this? Seems to me 10 locos would draw more than an amp in any scale.
Hi I run 6 trains simultaneously on my n scale layout. I use the NCE PowerCab. With 8 engines idling and 6 trains running, my NCE system pulls about 850-900mA, so the cab controller is not working very hard. I have a mixture of Lenz/Atlas, NCE, TCS, Digitraxx, and ESU decoders. I also use decoders for directional lighting in my passenger trains (like TGV and ShinKanSen). I have thought about opening up the NCE and bumping up the power transistors, but so far, I do not have any issues with the PowerCab. Also, as someone mentioned- I can work the cab by feel after a couple years, so it is very convenient. I put holsters on the edge of the layout (bought them off ebay), and a couple extra plugs from NCE so I can control from different spots (You cannot disconnect the PowerCab of course, but the extra controllers work well).

I started with a Roco z21start (white box) and the companion TP Link router for wifi.

Later on I found a used Digikeijs DR5000. Works like the z21 (even uses the z21 app), but in a smaller package and the wifi is "built right into it".

Digikeijs is gone now, but there is a YaMoRC hardware controller in the works that will pretty much replicate the DR5000 with numerous improvements, as well.

How about "you" ?
Hard choice. I've been using command control since 1979 with the original CTC-16, club moved up to PNP-112, then on to RailCommand. Very expensive proposition with every change especially since at the time decoders cost between $80 and $100 (not adjusted for inflation). So I was elated in 1993 when a standard (DCC) was proposed. It was almost immediate I noticed the drop in prices. Our club went with Lenz because of the availability of the CVP wireless system for it. In the club, with wires they always ended up in a tangled mess as one tried to follow the train around the layout. Wireless was an amazing difference.

In the mean time, for home I purchased the MRC Command-2000. Compared to the Lenz system it seemed stone age, but got the job done. I liked having all three throttles on a single box, and all the locos I converted would run at the club too. I later purchased a 2nd one, because the price point was amazing.

Then when the club was making a second purchase, the Lenz company offered club members steep discounts so I was able to afford a top of the line Lenz. It became my primary system, and likewise I saved so much in the purchase of the system I was able to also purchased the CVP wireless for it.

Then I started at the museum where they had chosen the NCE system. I got used to the big heavy throttles. Then just happen to come across a Pro-Cab R on ebay for dirt cheap and picked up.

Later I made a layout for my father to have in the assisted living center and got him and NCE twin for it. There were only 2 locos so it was perfect. After he passed, I of course got the twin back.

And then somewhere along the line I picked up a second Lenz system as well as a CVP Easy-DCC. I love the two cabs right there on the main control panel. Soon after that though they changed their wireless and my system was obsolete. They didn't really want to help upgrade just wanted to sell me a new system. They didn't seem to care I had been a loyal customer (still using the RailCommand system and all) for over two decades, so I parted company with them [CVP]. Otherwise Easy-DCC would have had my vote for favorite. I still think it is best, but customer care counts for a whole lot.

I do like the potential of the Lenz RailCom although I have not taken advantage of the technology, nor has hardly anyone else. Low hanging fruit, that might tip my decision toward them.

So I guess I have at least 10 command control systems. I have a hard time choosing between the Lenz and NCE-Pro cab. IF CVP still made wireless throttles for the Lenz I would say it wins, but they don't. So I voted for NCE. I also love the selection of NCE decoders (especially love the DASR and and buy them in bulk. Not all manufactures offer bulk discounts.

Last edited:
NCE & Digitrax were the highest probably because they've both been around such a long time. It would be interesting to see this same poll in 10 years.
Oh yeah.... I also have a Digitrax Zephyr (the original one) and a DB150(don't even remember where I got it)! I have never even powered up the DB150, but I use the Zephyr a lot and it has some nice advantages. It is the epitome of two wires to the rails and run. I have only used the "jumper" throttle option once. I was at a show and the neighboring layout was conflicting with our radio throttles. So I pulled the Lenz and fired up the Zephyr using two Tyco toy transformers for the jumper throttles.

Last edited:
Hard choice. I've been using command control since 1979 with the original CTC-16, club moved up to PNP-112, then on to RailCommand. Very expensive proposition with every change especially since at the time decoders cost between $80 and $100 (not adjusted for inflation). So I was elated in 1993 when a standard (DCC) was proposed. It was almost immediate I noticed the drop in prices. Our club went with Lenz because of the availability of the CVP wireless system for it. In the club, with wires they always ended up in a tangled mess as one tried to follow the train around the layout. Wireless was an amazing difference.

In the mean time, for home I purchased the MRC Command-2000. Compared to the Lenz system it seemed stone age, but got the job done. I liked having all three throttles on a single box, and all the locos I converted would run at the club too. I later purchased a 2nd one, because the price point was amazing.

Then when the club was making a second purchase, the Lenz company offered club members steep discounts so I was able to afford a top of the line Lenz. It became my primary system, and likewise I saved so much in the purchase of the system I was able to also purchased the CVP wireless for it.

Then I started at the museum where they had chosen the NCE system. I got used to the big heavy throttles. Then just happen to come across a Pro-Cab R on ebay for dirt cheap and picked up.

Later I made a layout for my father to have in the assisted living center and got him and NCE twin for it. There were only 2 locos so it was perfect. After he passed, I of course got the twin back.

And then somewhere along the line I picked up a second Lenz system as well as a CVP Easy-DCC. I love the two cabs right there on the main control panel. Soon after that though they changed their wireless and my system was obsolete. They didn't really want to help upgrade just wanted to sell me a new system. They didn't seem to care I had been a loyal customer (still using the RailCommand system and all) for over two decades, so I parted company with them [CVP]. Otherwise Easy-DCC would have had my vote for favorite. I still think it is best, but customer care counts for a whole lot.

I do like the potential of the Lenz RailCom although I have not taken advantage of the technology, nor has hardly anyone else. Low hanging fruit, that might tip my decision toward them.

So I guess I have at least 10 command control systems. I have a hard time choosing between the Lenz and NCE-Pro cab. IF CVP still made wireless throttles for the Lenz I would say it wins, but they don't. So I voted for NCE. I also love the selection of NCE decoders (especially love the DASR and and buy them in bulk. Not all manufactures offer bulk discounts.
Hello,
Thanks for your detailed response!
And a special thanks for voting in the POLL.

A good friend of mine uses the NCE system. He saw my digitrax DT400R throttle once, when I was running my old layout. He really liked that I could operate two trains at the same time without doing a bunch of button pressing. Now that his mainline is up and running, I lent him my system to try out. Needless to say, he fell in love with it. Just how easy it was to mu locos together had him smiling.
So I decided to look for a complete system for him. As luck would have it, I found a DT400R throttle on eBay for $150 (a little high) a “newer” PS515 and a “newer” DCS100 for an incredible $125 and a member here sold me a UR91. The goal was to have him pay me for it when he sold his NCE.
Last night I surprised him with his Christmas present, a new used Digitrax operating system. It was awesome. I don’t think he knew what to say! I retrieved my stuff and replaced it with his. Now he’s looking for another DT400 throttle. He’ll have to get that on his own. I need to get started on my own layout.

Im not saying one is better than the other. I’ve only owned Digitrax. Owned it from their beginning. What sold me, is what sold a life long NCE user. The two throttle knobs on one controller. Now if only TCS did that to their universal controller….

Much like orifices, opinions are held by everyone and good to see some experiences. I use a Digitrax controller and eventually will need an extra cab unit. With decoders, I started out with the small Digitrax ones in my home built HON3 GE Shovelnose locos (I now have 3) and of course my Blackstone K27's have Soundtrax. The locos, converted from a very powerful KATO unit would smoke the small Digitrax decoders so I have gone to the much larger Soundtrax ones. Maybe the Digitrax ones ran a little better, but all seem to perform well. It's said that the KATO units I am using can pull the wall paper off the wall and I believe it!

For now I am still in the KISS mode.

Tom

Much like orifices, opinions are held by everyone and good to see some experiences. I use a Digitrax controller and eventually will need an extra cab unit. With decoders, I started out with the small Digitrax ones in my home built HON3 GE Shovelnose locos (I now have 3) and of course my Blackstone K27's have Soundtrax. The locos, converted from a very powerful KATO unit would smoke the small Digitrax decoders so I have gone to the much larger Soundtrax ones. Maybe the Digitrax ones ran a little better, but all seem to perform well. It's said that the KATO units I am using can pull the wall paper off the wall and I believe it!

For now I am still in the KISS mode.

Tom
I never really liked the digitrax decoders. I smoked a lot of them.

Then one day in 2001, a friend of mine was invited to the home where TCS decoders are made. Literally, a basement in a really nice house. Got to meet the owner and, I think, his wife. Saw how they made and tested the decoders. I bought a few and was impressed. That’s all I buy now. When it comes to sound decoders I like Soundtrax. Not saying that TCS and Soundtrax are the best, it’s just what I like and use.

Whoa, the old CTC! I made this by hand, too, back in the early 1980s. Gutierrez made a nice series of articles. At that time, I was hard pressed to get the circuits small enought to fit into HO. Now, n scale DCC is nothing, and my son is doing some in Z scale...

Whoa, the old CTC! I made this by hand, too, back in the early 1980s. Gutierrez made a nice series of articles. At that time, I was hard pressed to get the circuits small enought to fit into HO. Now, n scale DCC is nothing, and my son is doing some in Z scale...
And they ran HOT. Not mine, but at a friends layout he had the decoder mounted upside down in the tender with an open bottom. The loco came around the corned and just stopped dead. Under the tender was a pile of components (most notably the power transistors), where the solder had melted and they just fell out.

Have many shells with melt marks in them too from those days.

I only switched to DCC when my wife said my "Choo-choos" should choo-choo! As my layout was/is set up for DC, I initially selected the MRC Tech6 6.0. When in DC mode, however, I began having trouble with the current generated by a pair of powered Athearn Blue Box F7's. Then, the speed controller quit working. I obtained a second controller, but had the same problem, so I switched to the NCE Power Cab with the additional booster for DCC and use an MRC DC unit with ample power for my DC locomotives, with a DPDT master switch on my control panel that can select either DC or DCC. Even in DCC mode, I don't run more than one locomotive lashup (a Model Power E5A-E7B) or steam locos with coreless motors. Part of the reason for only running one train at a time is my layout is setup mainly for continuous running. The other reason has to do with my inability to walk and chew gum simultaneously.
For decoders, I prefer the Soundtraxx Tsunami TSC-2200's. Those engines are powered with Canon coreless motors (no longer manufactured), so the 2200's are rated for most can motors available nowadays.

Not saying there aren't other choices. Just what I have used successfully. Oh, an E5A is an E6A with corregated siding added per the Burlington versions. The Q was the only one to use the E5's.

Back