Which DCC Manufacturer is your favorite?

Which DCC Control System do you prefer?

• NCE

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Digitrax

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Lenz

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • MRC

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Bachmann

• NCE POENIX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESU

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • TCS

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Other

• Total voters

FeatherRiver

For me, it is NCE.
I used NCE Pro Cab on my first layout; and I will stay with this choice of DCC Manufacturer.
Reason: I really like the hand held Pro Cab control unit, how it "feels", and the programming is easy.
Other NCE products of NCE are best suited (in my opinion) for my planned new layout, i.e., "Feather River".

How about "you" ?

I have included a POLL with this Thread / Post.
Would be appreciated if everyone replying "voted" in the poll. Thanks!

Last edited:
I currently am an NCE user as well. I started out with a powercab for my N scale layout. When I made the switch to Ho scale, I purchased the procab wireless system. Don't have experience with any of the others.

If I had it to do all over again, I would take a hard look at ESUs ECOs system. I have standardized on ESU decoders, so it would be a perfect fit.

This will be an interesting thread!

I only dabble in HO. I'm a Lionel O person. Lionel's Legacy system is fantastic.

I do have an NCE system, but I have not used it in years. That did not stop me from voting. 🙂

I have used my Bachmann DCC controller more often than the NCE. Bachmann's system is quick and easy to set up and use. I still cast my vote for NCE. The basic Bachmann system is rudimentary compared to NCE.

Edit: I changed my vote to Bachmann to reflect what I use most often, and I like being the lone vote for Bachmann. :D

Last edited:
I currently am an NCE user as well. I started out with a powercab for my N scale layout. When I made the switch to Ho scale, I purchased the procab wireless system. Don't have experience with any of the others.

If I had it to do all over again, I would take a hard look at ESUs ECOs system. I have standardized on ESU decoders, so it would be a perfect fit.
I didn't realize how many different DCC Systems there are are "out there" - until I started searching for same through search engines today in preparation for this Thread. I will take a look at the manufacturer you mentioned. i.e., ESU.

However, I will most likely will stay with NCE. I first got introduced to NCE by a gentleman who had a Model Train Store where I live.
He had several different brands as I remember; and he let me try them out in his store. However, I fell in "love" with NCE right away.

This will be an interesting thread!

I only dabble in HO. I'm a Lionel O person. Lionel's Legacy system is fantastic.

I do have an NCE system, but I have not used it in years. That did not stop me from voting. 🙂

I have used my Bachmann DCC controller more often than the NCE. Bachmann's system is quick and easy to set up and use. I still cast my vote for NCE. The basic Bachmann system is rudimentary compared to NCE.
Thanks for voting in the Poll!
Perhaps I should "add" Bachmann DCC to the Poll; and ESU (mentioned by Forum Member migalyto).

UPDATE: OK, I added Bachmann, ESU, and NCE PHOENIX to the Poll!

Last edited:
I have mostly Digitrax components to operate the layout except for a couple NCE breakout circuit breaker boards for the classification and staging yard.
I like the ESU decoders for their breadth of options.
The LocSound command station though is very troublesome.
There is an ESU dealer near me who I've known for 30 years or so. He talked me into buying a LokSound command station and told me it would interface easily with all the rest of my Digitrax Block detectors and signal control boards. OK, lets do this. After fiddling with the system for a couple days, he tells me I need another interface component. OK, another hundred bucks or so, and he brings one of those over then spends another day fiddling with the system and not getting anywhere. The handheld throttle would disconnect occasionally leaving my trains running away. He claimed I could use my Digitrax throttle with the ESU command station. That was an intermittent thing. As this thing was failing to operate consistently, he starts relating to the differences between USA versions and European versions. The European versions are favored by ESU because they know a whole lot more about the DCC stuff but the USA modelers are referred to as loopers. Europeans read the whole 100 pages or so of the ESU code system and know it thoroughly, but American modelers don't bother reading all that and just want to get their trains running in a plug and play manner. ESU looks down their nose at us because we just like to put our trains on a loop of track and watch it go round and round till we fall over dizzy. My dealer then tells me about the secret file he was able to find to solve one of the problems he was having and that there were other hidden files he was trying to find to solve other issues. OK, I've had enough of this non-sense. An operating system that isn't complete because ESU looks down their nose at Americans as inferior. I want my money back and get this system off my layout.
All of the DCC manufacturers develop their own proprietary DCC code that goes from the handheld throttle to the command station. From there, it's a standardized code out to the decoder in the locomotive.

I have mostly Digitrax components to operate the layout except for a couple NCE breakout circuit breaker boards for the classification and staging yard.
I like the ESU decoders for their breadth of options.
The LocSound command station though is very troublesome.
There is an ESU dealer near me who I've known for 30 years or so. He talked me into buying a LokSound command station and told me it would interface easily with all the rest of my Digitrax Block detectors and signal control boards. OK, lets do this. After fiddling with the system for a couple days, he tells me I need another interface component. OK, another hundred bucks or so, and he brings one of those over then spends another day fiddling with the system and not getting anywhere. The handheld throttle would disconnect occasionally leaving my trains running away. He claimed I could use my Digitrax throttle with the ESU command station. That was an intermittent thing. As this thing was failing to operate consistently, he starts relating to the differences between USA versions and European versions. The European versions are favored by ESU because they know a whole lot more about the DCC stuff but the USA modelers are referred to as loopers. Europeans read the whole 100 pages or so of the ESU code system and know it thoroughly, but American modelers don't bother reading all that and just want to get their trains running in a plug and play manner. ESU looks down their nose at us because we just like to put our trains on a loop of track and watch it go round and round till we fall over dizzy. My dealer then tells me about the secret file he was able to find to solve one of the problems he was having and that there were other hidden files he was trying to find to solve other issues. OK, I've had enough of this non-sense. An operating system that isn't complete because ESU looks down their nose at Americans as inferior. I want my money back and get this system off my layout.
All of the DCC manufacturers develop their own proprietary DCC code that goes from the handheld throttle to the command station. From there, it's a standardized code out to the decoder in the locomotive.
Wow! Thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us who read this Thread on your DCC Controller Manufacturers and equipment.
Thanks especially for your last two sentences - which should be read and re-read by anyone who is not already acquainted with DCC Equipment.

As for me, I will say once again I really like NCE. And my reason for saying I like NCE isn't just based upon the DCC equipment they make;
it is also in the way and manner they comment on their own website about their products, availability, etc., etc.

I strongly suggest anyone who is considering changing from one DCC product manufacturer to another, or those persons yet to make a DCC purchase for the first time, that they take time to read every statement the manufacturer has uploaded to their web pages.

I run primarily Digitrax but prefer the simplicity of NCE on friends layouts.
I’m in too deep to switch over now but one thing I do like about digitrax is the ability to operate (control) two trains with the one throttle. (two knobs) (ok three including myself)
I also run the Ring Railpro radio control system which although it has its quirks is pretty nifty.

Last edited:
I have Digitrax and my latest upgrade on my system was simply gratifying! I have the new DT602D Advanced Duplex Super Throttle and absolutely love it! I may get another one (DT602D) or get one of the new UT6D Duplex Radio Utility Throttle. We shall see but having said that I made a huge leap from using the old Zephyr DCS50 & DT402D Throttle and going to the EVOXD Evolution Express Advanced 5A/8A Duplex Starter Set which I bought at the 2022 Big E Amherst train show from Yankeedabbler on a large discount. The system is amazing and works well. The throttle is ergonomically well suited for my hands and I love the simple screen display and functions. I have stayed with Digitrax for years. Funny thing is that I started out with MRC Command 2000, which was hilarious compared to how the technology has advanced. I still have it somewhere in a box. lol Before that I had the DC MRC Tech 3 Power Command Controller Model 9500 which I also still have along with the MRC Tech II Dualpower 2800.

We have come a long way in our hobby over the years.

My LHS sold Digitrax and that is what I have only ever worked with. Coming up to 19 years with the same beast, the Super Empire Builder. Still works like a champ. I'm not a techy type, no engineering or STEM background, but somehow I managed to wade through the two manuals, command station and throttle, and it's all second nature. Literacy helps, but so do motivation and perseverance, qualities I seem to have brought to the mix.

I have Digitrax even though I'm an hour away from NCE. When I was looking at a system I called them and asked if their system would handle 6 engines running at one time. They told me no only 2 could run. That system was $500 for $800+ I could get a system to do this. I ended up with an 8 amp Digitrax evolution for $395 and been very pleased with it.

I have Digitrax even though I'm an hour away from NCE. When I was looking at a system I called them and asked if their system would handle 6 engines running at one time. They told me no only 2 could run. That system was $500 for $800+ I could get a system to do this. I ended up with an 8 amp Digitrax evolution for $395 and been very pleased with it.

I've only used NCE so I'm not taking sides but it sounds like that's the Power Cab starter system. It probably only runs 2 locos or so but I think it's only about $150. They make 10 amp systems as well. I don't know how much those are.

I've never used Digitrax but I know they are popular (including my local mrr club) and I suspect they're great. I bought the NCE starter system because it got my small layout going and I knew I could expand. I've gone up to a 5 amp system now.

Where's Soundtraxx ?

Been using them quite a lot lately, with very good results (motor-only decoders).

Where's Soundtraxx ?

Been using them quite a lot lately, with very good results (motor-only decoders).
I don't believe Soundtraxx makes a DCC system. Only decoders but I may be wrong
Yes, Soundtraxx makes decoders - no DCC operation control equipment.

As for DCC Decoders, maybe someone here on this forum can start a Thread specifically for them?

A major Model Railroad products retailer in the United States told me "Sountraxx Decoders" are considered some of the best decoders available on the market.

I've only used NCE so I'm not taking sides but it sounds like that's the Power Cab starter system. It probably only runs 2 locos or so but I think it's only about $150. They make 10 amp systems as well. I don't know how much those are.

I've never used Digitrax but I know they are popular (including my local mrr club) and I suspect they're great. I bought the NCE starter system because it got my small layout going and I knew I could expand. I've gone up to a 5 amp system now.
I believe that is correct, e.g., Power Cab Starter System.
The Starter system is far less expensive but it can only run two locomotives due to the power consumption.
Pro Cab can handle more active (running) locomotives as it is a 5 Amp system.

There is also a NEW model of NCE Pro Cab coming soon. [NCE Power Pro PH5 and PH5r]

One other thing I want to mention here - which was triggered by PMW's statement above, e.g., " ...I'm not taking sides ...":
Even though I am "sold on" NCE Equipment, I want everyone on this forum to know I am not taking 'sides' either; and I am not getting a financial "kick-back" from NCE!
I just simply believe NCE is great equipment - from every perspective that is important to me.
However, ultimately it comes down to individual choice!
If we all "fell in love" - so to speak- with the same DCC equipment manufacturer there would be no other company making these products.

Hi ! Thanks for your reply!
Looks like you made the right choice (for you) as you are pleased with your Digitrax equipment! And ultimately that is what counts!

Last edited:
TCS (Train control systems) now make their own system, I think its fairly new. Wonder what folks who have it think of it.

Hello! Thanks for your input!

I directed my browser to to find out more about this product from TCS.
Anyone looking into all DCC systems available should take the time to read the information TCS provides on their website.

Hey everyone! Keep your comments coming! And please remember to VOTE in the included POLL with this Thread.

Forum Member "Bruette" (in post #3 above) was "right on" in a statement made about this Thread, e.g.,
" 'This will be an interesting thread!' "

Last edited:

I hated my ESU system. I had the 5 amp Cab Control thing. I am not a computer illiterate but that thing made me feel really dumb. Rail Com was a nice feature though

Last edited:

Back