Which Airbrush Compressor to Buy

Truckload

I just started using an airbrush using Propel canned air. Time to buy a compressor. Can anyone recommend a specific brand or model?

Looking for a small unit, just airbrushing model railroad stuff, but want a good, no hassle, reliable unit. Cost is secondary to quality.

Thanks for any help!

That depends a lot on you, your budget, and your circumstances. Many here will jump on the Harbor freight bandwagon. Compressors can be had there cheaply, and if cheap is your ultimate goal, they are hard to beat. Just remember that they are cheap for a reason.
There are a couple of questions: Do you want an airbrush specific compressor, or a regular compressor? The differences are pretty basic. Airbrush specific models are lightweight and quiet. Good for apartment dwellers, or if you have a workroom in a small house and family members sharing space. Basic compressors like the pancake type work well, and will provide air reliably, however the oil less diaphragm types are noisy. They will wake the dead when they run. You can get a good one with a tank in the $100-150.00 range. Airbrush specific models start at about the same range. Whichever you choose, be sure and get one with a regulator. A tank isn’t a bad idea either, however modern airbrush specific types that I have used painted just fine without a tank. I have not seen an airbrush with enough demand to make compressor selection a problem. Spray guns yes, airbrushes no. I currently have four or five at home, a 5HP init with a 30 gallon tank, down to a little Iwata Smart Jet that is quiet and delivers enough air for just about any model railroading painting project I can think of. You can see it here: http://www.iwata-medea.com/products/compressors/smart-jet/ This one is not cheap, but very high quality. You’ll likely never have to replace it. (I’m a buy it once kind of guy. I think cheap tools are a false economy, but that’s me! YMMV :D) Congratulations in trying out airbrushing. I’ve been doing it for quite a few years. I give clinics on it and do custom painting, so to be fair, my equipment selection criteria are a little tougher than most modelers!

Truckload,

Alan has hit the nail on the head. I have a 8 gallon, 2 HP compressor, bought fromo HF for $100, on sale. For airbrushing however, I have a Husky .5 HP with a 2 gallon tank. Both of mine have regulators, and moisture traps, but for airbrushing, I added another moisture trap to the painting station. They are pretty cheap at HF.

I would also recommend the use of a respirator while painting. We all know that using any solvent paint does carry long term risks, and respirator use is required here, I haven't seen much research on damage acrylics may cause over long term use, so I'd highly recommend use of one. They can be had from several sources fairly cheap. Get one and use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have (3) compressors. My big one is a 60 gallon 5hp monster. LOUD, puts out tons of air, next I have a 3hp 26 gallon HF compressor I picked up for $100.00, then I have a small 3 gallon HF compressor for my air brushes. It is not to loud, big enough to run my nail guns too. It was on sale for $49.00

Only "AIR BRUSH" compressor I have ever used was an old Badger. Made almost as much noise as a trapped badger too. It was not a real good compressor.

HF has two small compressors. The pancake sucks big time, it is real loud and puts out very little air. The standard looking one works way better.

This is the one I use.
http://www.harborfreight.com/13-horsepower-3-gal-100-psi-oilless-air-compressor-69269.html

Moisture trap

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-horsepower-3-gal-100-psi-oilless-air-compressor-69269.html

desiccant dryer

http://www.amazon.com/Motor-Guard-D...d=1379121031&sr=8-1&keywords=dessicant+filter

I have used ones that are very similar. I picked mine up locally and they have a house brand sticker on them.

Buzz.

What about an air tank? They will hold enough air to fill a car tire or two and are cheap compared to a compressor. I have a large oil less compressor in the garage and have considered trying my hand at airbrushing, mainly for weathering effects. An air tank would be easy to fill, quiet, portable, cheap and would last a lot longer than the canned air that can be bought. Something like this, http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-ga...1x000001&kpid=00915200000&kispla=00915200000P.

The thing I don't like about air tanks is...sooner or later you have to refill them. Usually in the middle of a project!

Airbrush specific compressors have come a long way since those old Badger units. The new ones are piston types versus the older diaphragm types and much quieter. Pulsation has been eliminated as well. You can just barely hear mine running.

My favorite compressors are those found inside the 12-oz. cans of Rustoleum and Krylon.

What efficient packaging! Also in those cans are the hoses, regulators, paint cups and spray guns!

All for about three or four bucks too!

Bad Order

For you maybe, since you have no interest in airbrushing. Rattle cans serve their purpose, and if your purpose is laying down a consistent coat of paint over a large surface, they work just fine. The problem with them is control. They are either on or off. Not much in between. If OTOH you want to weather or do fine detail work (two other things you don't have any interest in) well, they aren't much good for those things. I sometimes use rattle cans for large areas, or because a color I need isn't available in a bottle. I also "milk" them for their paint which I then use in my airbrush. it really depends on what kind of work you want to do.

The primary reason I want to learn to airbrush is weathering - both structures and rolling stock. Up to this point, I have used canned spray paint or brushed paint. I really enjoy building structures, and I want them to look more realistic. For Rolling stock I have used powdered chalk and dry brushing with a little success, but I think airbrushing would yield better results.

What about this Model TC-20T? Here is a link:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/compress.aspx

It is about $100.00 and has a tank, variable regulator, oil-free, says it is quiet, and comes with a filter.

The primary reason I want to learn to airbrush is weathering - both structures and rolling stock. Up to this point, I have used canned spray paint or brushed paint. I really enjoy building structures, and I want them to look more realistic. For Rolling stock I have used powdered chalk and dry brushing with a little success, but I think airbrushing would yield better results.

What about this Model TC-20T? Here is a link:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/compress.aspx

It is about $100.00 and has a tank, variable regulator, oil-free, says it is quiet, and comes with a filter.

Here's a couple of things you should know. Master is a chinese company that sells knockoffs of name brands. That does not mean the compressor is no good, but I notice it uses a TENV (Totally Enclosed Non Vented) motor. I prefer TEFC motors (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled). Heat kills electrical equipment sooner or later! The motor has thermal overload protection so that if it should get hot, the motor is protected. For a hundred bucks, you can give it a shot. it does have a two year warranty.

Back