Where to find track planning software?

mikeingeorgia

Hey all, I'm planning on finally building my first true layout and was wondering if there is a layout track planning program that would help me? I have a general idea of what I want but would like to have firmer plans before I start cutting lumber.
First off, the room is 10' x 10' 6". Not too big, but that's all the space there is to work with right now. I intend to have a continuous running loop around the outer perimeter and a peninsula into the center. The peninsula will have the New River Mining Company on it (I already have the kit). I intend to dress it up to make it look older so that it will look appropriate for the 50's and I want it to be used for loading iron ore cars. The trains will be loaded at the mine, come out and go around the loop, and come back onto the peninsula on an elevated line. Then cross over the walkway on a bridge to access the second level. The second level will also have a continuous running loop. Of course, I intend to put a couple of sidings, a passenger station, and a small staging area and an engine servicing facility.
One of the most important considerations for me is the radius of the curves. I want to be able to run a Broadway Limited J1. It will have a Pennsy theme. I have a small but growing collection of BLI steam engines that will be the stars of the show.
And last but not least, I intend to use Digitrax DCC and I'd like to have some operating signals.
So, all this leads back to the first thought, where to find a track planning program?

I recommend the XtrkCAD, but be sure to run the tutorial or you'll waste more time than it takes to learn it.

I give thumbs up to Xtrkcad.

I've used Atlas Right Track also, and prefer Xtrkcad. You can use all the mfg of track and are not limited to Atlas only.

Here's a sample of what I did on Xtrkcad.
PRR_Schuylkill_Div_revised_branch_siding_21.GIF
[/url][/IMG]

I had another thought on the matter and figured I'd ask before I got to far along. Since the track planner lets you tell it what type of track you are using, where is the track made from the different manufacturers? Since I get to be Superintendent of my own railroad, I get to pick the suppliers of the material that I need, and I don't want the flag flying on my front porch to become a fallen flag :eek:

I don't get to involved with that part of those programs. Just using it to place the buildings track and clearances is as far as i like to go.

Back