Where do I find decent index drill bits!!!

I ordered bits from Drillcity, (5) #80, (5) #79, (5) #78s, all carbide with 0.125 shanks...$3.67 each though...:(

I hope they cure my woes, as those bits are staples to model railroaders...

Last edited by a moderator:
Im an auto mechanic so I would say I know a few things about drilling holes. RCH has some very good points. Good drill bits are going to be more expensive but you get that back when you find they dont break nearly as often. I would try checking with those mobile tool trucks like Snap On, Mac or Matco tool dealers. You can always browse thier online catalogs and then try to find a local truck near you.

i have heard of people using piano wire as a drill bit for plastics. the friction melts a hole

the problem with that is that when you cut piano wire, the cut is usually pinched and results in a diameter larger than the wire. If you need precise holes, that pinched part is going to cause you no end of grief.

My prayers are answered! I got carbide bits from Drill Bit City;

http://drillbitcity.com/

I got 5 of each #78, 79 & 80. The total cost was $55 or $3.66 each...but at the $1.75 I was paying for replacement crap bits that broke, I consider it money well spent.

They also come in a carry case that will protect them. They have 0.125" shafts, so they fit in the largest mandrel of my pin vise, or in a drill press chuck.

they are so damn sharp and so far chew through plastic and resin like a hot knife thru butter! :)

I'll be interested to see how long these bits last, at the price you paid. Since I get 10 bits for $2.99, I can break about 8 compared to the cost of one of the carbide bits and break even. If they can outlast eight of the cheapies, they might be a better buy, but I've never had any of the small bits make it all the way through one project. As CJ said, the carbide bits work great with vertical pressure but any side pressure applied at the same time and they'll snap. The best luck I've had with these bits (or any bits, for that matter) was one of those drill press conversions for my Dremel with a foot pad control so I can run it really slow. I sold it when I left California and I think I'm going to replace it since you can get nice, accurate holes and have to worry about that inadvertent side pressure.

Just my 2 cents worth. but all my drill bits I buy from a local indusrtrial suppy company. Basicly where machine shops, toll and die makers, die makers buy there tools from.think they only cost about $1 to$1.50 each. Never had a problem of breaking except for my own mistakes. Lets face it your drilling plastic or resin you really don't need a carbide drill bit.

Doug

the drill bits wont break if you dont force them and you take your time. also a pin vise it not advisory. i would used a low speed rotory tool and hold it very steady or use a mini drill press but dont pull too hard or you will crush the bit my uncle will use the same set of bits for a few years

How is that different from the cheap inferior bits?

cheaper bits are made of carbon steel and are not as "hard" metalurgically speaking. They will wear faster and will tend to bend rather than break. They don't "hold an edge" (remain sharp) as well as harder bits.

There are many was to make a bit harder (i mentioned simple heat treating earlier), a carbide coating or even making them out of solid carbide (actually tungsten carbide) are other ways.

I heard on a recent Model Railcast that Greg Bisguire(sp) uses a drill bit and an electric screwdriver with those 1/4 in. interchangable bits that you can get everywhere. Micro Mark sells a chuck that you can put a drill bit in and it fits right into the screwdriver. Now you end up with a low RPM hand drill and you can control the bit easier and more straight and he claimed, he hadnt broken a single bit by doing this. Might be worth the try.

the drill bits wont break if you dont force them and you take your time. also a pin vise it not advisory. i would used a low speed rotory tool and hold it very steady or use a mini drill press but dont pull too hard or you will crush the bit my uncle will use the same set of bits for a few years

I seen your post here and not that im trying to toot my own horn here. But this is probably a solution that just may work.

Back