When it's too hot outside.....

Motley

It has been brutally hot here the last few weeks in Denver, and I can't even go outside.

So.... I go into the nice cool basement, A/C cranked, and play with trains!!!
Perfect solution for hot summer days...

What do you do?

Michael

Well I run a auto shop out of my garage, so if I am not out there making cash money for train stuff, I'm inside ethier spending cash money on train stuff and playing with trains.

I also like to relax with Wacky Tabacy and play some Call of Duty on my PS3. LOL

I do the same. When it gets to 90* in my trainroom I go into my A/C'd workshop & do all of my projects for the layout. My building is all metal w/no insulation. If I stay out there until it gets to a hundred & ten which usually is around 11am then I'm toasted. My wife is always hammering to me to stay out of the trainroom when it gets to 88* on the porch. She knows it's getting awfully hot in my building. Once I stayed out there till almost 2pm. I drank about a gal. of Gatorade & was sick the rest of the day & part of the nite. Couldn't get enough to drink.

I spend alot of my time outside during the summer playing football and baseball down at our version of the sandlot with some of the nieghborhood kids and a few of my friends. If it gets to hot to play we just sack out under the pine, maybe go to someones house and swim or play basketball, or maybe ride for ice cream or down to the convenience store for slushies. If theres not a game going on and its to hot, im usually out back playing with the dogs, maybe have a fire going and taking care of some stuff outside. When it gets to hot though ill be inside, usually browsing the internet for stuff to buy, puttering around in the garage, or maybe doing some train stuff.

I usually don't do any modeling in the summer. No a/c and way too much humidity so I have some fun with my supercharged Cobra and a bit of gardening.

I spend alot of my time outside during the summer playing football and baseball down at our version of the sandlot with some of the nieghborhood kids and a few of my friends. If it gets to hot to play we just sack out under the pine, maybe go to someones house and swim or play basketball, or maybe ride for ice cream or down to the convenience store for slushies. If theres not a game going on and its to hot, im usually out back playing with the dogs, maybe have a fire going and taking care of some stuff outside. When it gets to hot though ill be inside, usually browsing the internet for stuff to buy, puttering around in the garage, or maybe doing some train stuff.

Ah, to be fourteen again! Don't let it slip by kid, once it's gone it's not comin' back.

LOL in Texas? I was in Dallas once during the summer, it was 110, I could barely handle it.

just as you guys like the cold so much, we don't mind the heat. It keeps the riffraff out.

seriously, Dallas is a LOT hotter (temperature-wise) than here (and much colder come winter). We may have the humidity but at least we have the breezes. Dallas may have a drier heat but there ain't breeze to be bought north of Austin. I lived near FtWorth for 2 winters and decided that between 110 breeze-free summers and frozen-over lakes in the winter (seriously!), that was just part of Oklahoma they didn't want.

...kinda like Texas gave up those parts of Colorado we decided we didn't want...

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately for the model railroad world in the basement, The Jeep gets alot of attention during the summer time. Im one of those weirdos that will drive home with no top or doors in a drenching thunderstorm before I will put the top back on it. I love it!! The winter time is train time. usually alot of work gets done when my NHL team is doing bad and I'm tired of watching the game. (train room is right next to the big screen so I can hop back and fourth when I hear cheers or jeers)

that was just part of Oklahoma they didn't want.

...kinda like Texas gave up those parts of Colorado we decided we didn't want...

;)

What? When did Texas give up land to Colorado? and Oklahoma, did I miss something in U.S. history class?:confused:

What? When did Texas give up land to Colorado? and Oklahoma, did I miss something in U.S. history class?:confused:

Find a map of The Republic of Texas sometime and compare it to the State of Texas we now know and (some of us...) love. You'll see that The Republic included parts of New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, Wyoming and the panhandle area of Oklahoma. Of course, this was 1846, before some of those states existed.

just as you guys like the cold so much, we don't mind the heat. It keeps the riffraff out.

I lived near FtWorth for 2 winters and decided that between 110 breeze-free summers and frozen-over lakes in the winter (seriously!), that was just part of Oklahoma they didn't want.

;)

Haha im sorry sir this made me laugh. A frozen over lake here is nothing, wait til Texas gets its first ice storm that knocks out power for a few days. Or when a snow storm comes up so fast that the plows cant keep up and the roads under 5 inches of snow. This is only in the Adirondack Mts. of NY too :D

Too hot outside? Is there even such a thing? :D I'm usually down in the basement working on my trains in the winter months when its too cold outside. I always spend my spring/summer/fall months with the friends and we always seem to be doing something every day even if it was the same thing we did yesterday. High School really flys by so I'm spending as much time as i can with everyone. I always go down to the layout about once every week or two weeks to dust things off and keep them clean, browse the internet for new ideas and gather information for any layout projects in the winter, or buy stuff to work on in the winter.

Well, not to disappoint you but Lake Worth has frozen over several times, when we lived there in 1983 was the one I recall. Frozen solid enough to drive on it. N Texas is infamous for ice storms, lots of the metroplex (DFW and area) has ice storms severe enough to drop power lines at least once a year. We even get those in Houston every few years. That year DFW had 20 days under freezing and 10 under 20, iirc. It was brutal! I admit, I'm a cold-weather-wimp. I can take the heat but cold is a killer!

San Antonio once got 12" of snow (a record and a true fluke!) and doesn't have a single snow plow. The airport was reopened using front loaders and dump trucks. They're average is about 7-10 years between measureable snowfalls. DFW gets ice/snow almost every winter, it's not unusual at all.

And a large reason why I don't live there anymore....

But then there was Ike .

Yeah, you have to choose your poison. Houston isn't as hot as Dallas or as cold in winter, but those pesky hurricanes can sure tear things up. :eek: After growing up in Cleveland, I decided I could take almost anything better than those long winters. 35 years in California and almost five in Alabama, and I've only seen snow at my house four times, and three of those were down here. 3.5 inches was the worst. I can take that. The basement is nice and cool in the summer, so it's a good place to escape when things get really hot here. It never...well, usually never...gets cold enough to use the heat pump in the basement in the winter, although last winter was unusually cold. Still compared to Cleveland, it's paradise down here in the Heart of Dixie.

I usually don't do any modeling in the summer. No a/c and way too much humidity so I have some fun with my supercharged Cobra and a bit of gardening.

I just noticed that you are from P.E.I.

Model railroading is more of a non-summer hobby for me due to the heat and having no a/c though I will run my diesels and locos for maintenance reasons.

I have very fond memories as a kid visiting P.E.I in the summers of the late 60s and early 70s. I actually recall seeing trains and diesels somewhere around Charlottetown, but don't recall where. I used to take a small bag of quarters and go to the little hobby shop they had downtown and buy kits and work on them in the evenings.

Cheers

Usually when it gets too hot and muggy out I just go down to the basement and work on train layout projects. Take a cup full of iced tea and it's good.

Back