When do we have "enough"?

galaxy

When do we have "enough"?

I recently sent my other half a bunch of emails with links to various locos and RR cars I was interested in for xmas presents. It would seem All I wil get this year may be trains.:)

My other half lost some emails by accidental deletion, so I constructed a new consolidated email with links to everything I had sent previously in one single email for perusal and purchasing options for xmas presents.

Since my other half is into trains too, and I already purchased a GG1 that was requested, I am lucky that we speak the same language.;)

Then I began wondering. I really have enough to run already in several different eras so I won't get bored and can swap out eras.

So my question is:

WHEN do you think you will have "enough" locos and RR cars???

Is there ever an "enough"?
________
PlayfullLika

Last edited by a moderator:
You know Something.....I know your new to this forum but this type question could get flogged, tared & feathered and run outta town...how dare you ask such a weak question we are all diehard MRRs and the man or woman with the most trains wins!

Ok what was the question? Oh yeah ummm I dunno and I hope that there is no significant indicator of it lol

Have fun with this guys & gals lol

Last edited by a moderator:
My modeling is limited to a specific time and place (except for projects for friends) so it's quite possible to have "enough."

Occasionally, the manufacturers will kick out a product that's a serious upgrade of older models and those find their way onto the railroad. But with a clear modeling focus, yeah, you can get close to having enough.

There's always operation, research, clubs work, conventions and other things, and plenty of interests and activities in other areas. It doesn't have to be a big-spending hobby.

Honestly, I have more than enough trains, but I would love to upgrade what I have (if I had the cash) Being more of a scenery guy, I've been completing the scenery and buildings and even there I'm running out of real estate. One day I guess I'll just have to actually run trains! (Operating as it's defined around here, it's just not built for) I actually think a lot of the layouts I've seen could be improved by getting rid of so much STUFF! It's like writing, sometimes you need an editor.

I recently sent my other half a bunch of emails with links to various locos and RR cars I was interested in for xmas presents. It would seem All I wil get this year may be trains.:)

My other half lost some emails by accidental deletion, so I constructed a new consolidated email with links to everything I had sent previously in one single email for perusal and purchasing options for xmas presents.

Since my other half is into trains too, and I already purchased a GG1 that was requested, I am lucky that we speak the same language.;)

Then I began wondering. I really have enough to run already in several different eras so I won't get bored and can swap out eras.

So my question is:

WHEN do you think you will have "enough" locos and RR cars???

For me, I collected, scratchbuilt, and kitbashed all I can for the era and location I model now that I'm near the end of that, I have already started another era and it starts all over again. But I still keep the previous era and add to it whenever something comes along for it.

For me I dont think I could ever get a enough of anything railroad and if it wasn't for my wife i'd have a hole lot more my wife is the one who has to say slow down or i'll just keep gettin more and not know what to do with. so there is never enough you know......:)

Depends on your definition of enough.

Enough to operate on a 4x8 table? Most everyone here has enough for that.

Enough to operate a basement sized empire? Lots of people have that, too.

Enough to duplicate the roster of [insert favorite Class-1 RR here]? I think a couple of people are getting close to this one.

Enough to satisfy the interest in all things railroad? Enough don't exist. :)

Well, I thought I would never have enough until I received my Credit Card bill today.
I cancelled my Ebay acct., my PayPal acct.(as soon as my payouts are cleared), My HoYardSales acct. & accts. w/4 online hobby shops. No more buying for at least 5 years.
yep, the Credit Card bill almost made the wife have a Heart Attack. That's not counting what I've bought since the 20th. Can hardly wait to see what that bill will be. I'll have to be out of town next month. Seriously have to quit buying stuff. Got 4 big train shows coming up in the next 6 months. Can't take any money w/me. Just go & browse.
I have way over what I need in engines alone, way over what I need in rolling stock, way over what I need in large projects. SO<NOT BUYING "ANYTHING ELSE UNTIL i WIN THE LOTTERY'.

It has been said that "He who dies with the most toys wins!"

I may not win... but I fully intend to finish in the Top Ten!! :D

(I currently have almost 70 engines and nearing 850 pieces of rolling stock... and my "train room" is 13' x 16'. Do I have enough? Is a bear Catholic? Does the Pope sh** in the woods?? Do I intend to quit acquiring???)

Regards,
Tom

p.s. If my wife sees this... Honey, I'm kidding. You know how I exaggerate!

Well. it's like this. I have room for four (4) locomotives (or consists) on my layout, while I have about 100 locomotives (+ or -). What does that tell me? Answer: That I need more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

If you can't get into the train room any more, you have a problem. Until then, go for it. XD

Back