What's Left of New York's Central Railroad | LOST FOREVER

Normally I don't watch videos and this is why. That title suckered me in, but all I saw two photos of things I would consider "what's left of"..... I was hoping for lots of images of track still in NYC streets and parks, buildings that used to be NYC, left over bridge abutments, or whatever. I think I saw 2.

Normally I don't watch videos and this is why. That title suckered me in, but all I saw two photos of things I would consider "what's left of"..... I was hoping for lots of images of track still in NYC streets and parks, buildings that used to be NYC, left over bridge abutments, or whatever. I think I saw 2.
Well the title doesn't make sense. The film depicts history of NYCRR. It should be "What's left of New York Central Railroad", not "What's left of New York's Central railroad". There was no "Central" railroad in New York City. This one is a little better:
. But to really get the feel of the so called "High Line", or "West Side Railroad", one needs to actually walk it in person. Even in the parts where people are now walking, there are still tracks left on the bridges. One can also see signs of where the sharp sidings curved off into huge warehouses. This is really an all day exploration for anyone interested in this topic. One of the good books to familiarize with West Side Railroad is "Rails around Gotham":
31749376474.jpg

It's a pretty old printing, but still possible to find on train shows, besides going on the net. It shows the unique locomotives ordered by NYC railroad especially for the service on West Side of Manhattan. Most of the electric locomotives used back in the day are really known only by hard core NYCRR fans. One type (R class):
51947953958_671d32f87c_b.jpg

Quickly grabbed off of Flicker,
actually ended up on Chicago, South Shore and South Bend, where they were rebuilt, and served in freight traffic along the huge 800 class.

Back