What was your biggest disaster when building your layout?

I shouldn't delight in other's misfortunes but this thread just made me laugh! I've not had any of the major disasters but many of the smaller ones. I guess I better knock on wood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhh, real water + layout = disaster that's for sure.
Not to mention that it looks so wrong and hokey. Water is another thing that doesn't scale. I hate 1960's navy war movies that use models of ships for the action shots. So obvious the ships aren't real by how the real water rolls off the bow.

- Creating roads and footpaths out of plaster and realising that the plaster has seeped through cracks in the benchwork and hardened on the carpet
Children's "deep" canyon module for the Youth in Model Railroading exhibit at the 1999 NMRA convention. It was the first time pouring a river. It was the first time using foam as a base. We were very careful to paint the bottom with several coats of latex paint. Stuck in the water cat tail plants. Poured in the resin. Well, someone must have relocated one of the cat tails leaving a pin hole in the paint. The resin found the hole, ran through it dissolving the foam under it. I noticed when I was pouring that it was not filling up. Oops the resin had melted all the way through the foam and was running into the carpet. Plugged that hole and the pouring ran out an off the edge of the benchwork. I fixed that real quick with some making tape boarders. But I did have resin all over the carpet. Had to replace the whole room worth.

... It was the first time pouring a river. ... We were very careful ... ... But I did have resin all over the carpet. Had to replace the whole room worth.
Your story reminds me of one of the few "positives" of having my layout in an unfinished garage: I had a bunch of Elmers glue from under my steel mill iron ore stockpile scene, that found its way onto the concrete floor. It's under the benchwork, nobody knows about it except me. But I guess I will have to chisel it off if I ever have to sell the house...:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
No real disasters, but a few things I might have done differently... When we moved from our old house to our present one, 26 years ago, I brought my old layout over in sections to a dedicated room in my new, finished basement. But things intervened, and I wasn't able to reconstruct the layout...for the next 20 years! In the meantime things happened and it became necessary to use the layout space for some other things. But my wife and I decided to add two rooms to the house, with one being a study for her and a dedicated room for a new layout on the main floor. The room is 14' x 13' 8" inside, which necessitated redesigning the layout. I created a folded dogbone with one yard inside one loop and a smaller yard in the other. The setup is for continuous running, as I initially started in DC and like running passenger trains, so the track plan may not be ideal for switching, though I have plenty of freight rolling stock. I would have liked to have had multiple levels, but county inspection code requires windows large enough and low enough to enable a person to "escape" through them in case of fire. That meant that the lower level had to be no more than 32" AFL, although on the "blind" wall the level is 36" AFL. This results in a 3 percent grade with curves at each end, but my motor power can handle it with trains that are short enough to be reasonable appearing. One thing that resulted from using some of the structure from the old layout was having framing in places where I would have liked to have operating grade crossing gates. Since I do have flashers and bell at that point, I made it into a country road.

As to "disasters", the main one happened recently when I installed a DCC with sound decoder in the tender of one of my steam locomotives. Everything was fine...for about two minutes. Then the thing shorted out (not sure where), and burned a hole in the side of the plastic tender body! I removed the carcass of the decoder and sent it back to the manufacturer (waiting for action from them), and converted back to DC. I patched the hole with a plate that looks like the tender suffered some mishap, and the engine shop welded a plate on the tank! You have to look closely to see it anyway. Oh, and there was a semi-disaster when a string of boxcars straightened out on a sharp spur curve and took a dive of 261 scale feet (36") to the floor! Fortunately, these were old, old kits, and the only thing that happened was the doors popped out of their channels. These were quickly replaced, and a series of "fence posts" (6d finishing nails) were added to the edge of the layout where the accident happened. I may even add in some "chainlink" fence material between the poles, though it would make grabbing the cars more difficult, and the poles are close enough to prevent another dive.

I shouldn't delight in other's misfortunes but this thread just made me laugh! I've not had any of the major disasters but many of the smaller ones. I guess I better knock on wood!

Sound like you are one of the few who haven't had any serious problems ... you just may have to buy a lottery ticket :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Children's "deep" canyon module for the Youth in Model Railroading exhibit at the 1999 NMRA convention. It was the first time pouring a river. It was the first time using foam as a base. We were very careful to paint the bottom with several coats of latex paint. Stuck in the water cat tail plants. Poured in the resin. Well, someone must have relocated one of the cat tails leaving a pin hole in the paint. The resin found the hole, ran through it dissolving the foam under it. I noticed when I was pouring that it was not filling up. Oops the resin had melted all the way through the foam and was running into the carpet. Plugged that hole and the pouring ran out an off the edge of the benchwork. I fixed that real quick with some making tape boarders. But I did have resin all over the carpet. Had to replace the whole room worth.

Your story reminds me of one of the few "positives" of having my layout in an unfinished garage: I had a bunch of Elmers glue from under my steel mill iron ore stockpile scene, that found its way onto the concrete floor. It's under the benchwork, nobody knows about it except me. But I guess I will have to chisel it off if I ever have to sell the house...:eek:

Spillages aren't an exclusive to anyone ... when I first "poured my water" I had a similar experience of the stuff I used seeping through what I thought was a pretty good seal on the edge of the layout. X amount of the stuff ended up on the carpet beneath. It wouldn't have been so bad had the carpet not been only a few months old. Live and learn I guess :(

No real disasters, but a few things I might have done differently... When we moved from our old house to our present one, 26 years ago, I brought my old layout over in sections to a dedicated room in my new, finished basement. But things intervened, and I wasn't able to reconstruct the layout...for the next 20 years! In the meantime things happened and it became necessary to use the layout space for some other things. But my wife and I decided to add two rooms to the house, with one being a study for her and a dedicated room for a new layout on the main floor. The room is 14' x 13' 8" inside, which necessitated redesigning the layout. I created a folded dogbone with one yard inside one loop and a smaller yard in the other. The setup is for continuous running, as I initially started in DC and like running passenger trains, so the track plan may not be ideal for switching, though I have plenty of freight rolling stock. I would have liked to have had multiple levels, but county inspection code requires windows large enough and low enough to enable a person to "escape" through them in case of fire. That meant that the lower level had to be no more than 32" AFL, although on the "blind" wall the level is 36" AFL. This results in a 3 percent grade with curves at each end, but my motor power can handle it with trains that are short enough to be reasonable appearing. One thing that resulted from using some of the structure from the old layout was having framing in places where I would have liked to have operating grade crossing gates. Since I do have flashers and bell at that point, I made it into a country road.

As to "disasters", the main one happened recently when I installed a DCC with sound decoder in the tender of one of my steam locomotives. Everything was fine...for about two minutes. Then the thing shorted out (not sure where), and burned a hole in the side of the plastic tender body! I removed the carcass of the decoder and sent it back to the manufacturer (waiting for action from them), and converted back to DC. I patched the hole with a plate that looks like the tender suffered some mishap, and the engine shop welded a plate on the tank! You have to look closely to see it anyway. Oh, and there was a semi-disaster when a string of boxcars straightened out on a sharp spur curve and took a dive of 261 scale feet (36") to the floor! Fortunately, these were old, old kits, and the only thing that happened was the doors popped out of their channels. These were quickly replaced, and a series of "fence posts" (6d finishing nails) were added to the edge of the layout where the accident happened. I may even add in some "chainlink" fence material between the poles, though it would make grabbing the cars more difficult, and the poles are close enough to prevent another dive.

A 36" drop and you only lost a door or two .. darn you were lucky! Is a good reason for not building track work too close to the edge of the bench work OR putting in a barrier of some type if you do.

My disaster came when my mother told me that she heard a thud as she was doing laundry... she realized I had forgotten the cross braces on the Train table ! Luckily I had more than enough scrap wood she helped to make the table stable again.

BCK RR

My "disaster" was quintuple bypass surgery last July that set me back about 2-3 months. But I recovered and am still plugging away at the layout. ;)

Joe

I would have liked to have had multiple levels, but county inspection code requires windows large enough and low enough to enable a person to "escape" through them in case of fire.
Hmmm, that used to only apply to "sleeping" rooms (e.g. bedrooms).

As to "disasters", the main one happened recently when I installed a DCC with sound decoder in the tender of one of my steam locomotives. Everything was fine...for about two minutes. Then the thing shorted out (not sure where), and burned a hole in the side of the plastic tender body! I removed the carcass of the decoder and sent it back to the manufacturer (waiting for action from them), and converted back to DC.
I never considered decoder melt down a disaster but maybe the melting of the hole in the tender body is!. Reminds me of a friends locomotive mishap. This was way back before DCC when locomotive receivers (decoders) were the size of Road Island. They had 4 power transistors on them that got really really hot during normal operation. To help out he had cut ventilation holes in the bottom of the tender. This one particular locomotive (a Bowser 4-6-6-4 if I recall properly) came around the a sweeping corner and suddenly stopped dead. Upon investigation we discovered that he had mounted the decoder upside down in this particular unit. The thing got so hot it had melted the solder so many of the components including the 4 power transistors had simply fallen out of their sockets, through the hole in the bottom of the tender and were spread over the last few inches of track as loco came to a halt.

Oh, and there was a semi-disaster when a string of boxcars straightened out on a sharp spur curve and took a dive of 261 scale feet (36") to the floor!
Oh the nasty string line. That only happened to me once when one of the rear cars in one of my passenger trains derailed and caught on something. Not pretty.

All,

What I failed to mention was the scenery, buildings Locomotives and cars were on the layout and two trains were running at the time ... the table simply dropped straight down flat-horizontal !

BCK RR

What I failed to mention was the scenery, buildings Locomotives and cars were on the layout and two trains were running at the time ... the table simply dropped straight down flat-horizontal !
If it wasn't so disastrous, that would be funny. I can envision it on America's Funniest Home Videos.

I wouldn't be that idiotic, let alone have that sheer stupidity to do that !

BCK RR
Maybe animated it such that the trains are still circulating and buildings remain suspended until one of the engineer's realizes what has happen and then they fall down to meet the benchwork. Essence of Wiley Coyote.

Maybe animated it such that the trains are still circulating and buildings remain suspended until one of the engineer's realizes what has happen and then they fall down to meet the benchwork. Essence of Wiley Coyote.
I am not like others who actually take time to go out and seek that Fifteen minutes or an hours worth of fame, especially from the media .. if I want that much Glory I let it seek me out !

As the topic states > What was your biggest disaster when building your layout? I answered the question .

BCK RR

Disaster might be too strong a word, but here's my story...

Back in 2010 I settled on a track plan adapted from the August 2005 MR. With a few modifications, and not following at all the writer's construction approach (because he designed it to be portable), built 4 sections of benchwork for the plan. [The original plan is at the MR Trackplan Database -- look for the "Roscoe, Snyder and Pacific" if you have access to that.]

Mistake No. 1 was in some of the benchwork design. Won't bore you with the details here.

Mistake No. 2 was thinking I would put the sections on casters, like the MR Beer Line layout published the year before. Did so and then realized the sections didn't align properly because the basement floor was less than perfectly level. Removed the casters. But then wanted to be able to easily take the layout apart and reassemble it because at the time the basement space was to remain multiple purpose and needed easier access to a) A set of bookshelves along one wall and b) a closet along another wall. So I designed and attached caster sets to two sections that would flip down for movement and flip back up out of the way so the sections could be adjoined and level to their mates.

Then I got really stuck. Kept trying to work out track plan details that didn't quite work (some complex grades and also hidden curves) when I was doing the thing on paper. Got more and more discouraged, and when that happens I tend to shut down bit.

Finally 3 years after I started, I decided to scrap that plan. But stuck with the benchwork sections, imperfect as they were, I was determined to make use of them in a new plan.

Ultimately, that led me to the plan I'm using today, modified slightly over time. While it's still being constructed with an eye to some degree of portability, I no longer have to move parts around regularly, so the retractable casters got scrapped, too.

I covered all of the plaster cloth with a thin soupy layer of plaster, and to get it to come out fairly smooth, I sprayed water on it. When all was said and done it looked pretty good. The plaster cloth was hidden and there was a smooth layer of plaster over it all - covered well.

Today the "fun" began. I began covering the plaster with a layer of latex paint to get a base coat of color over it. It's pretty thick paint and as I was covering the surface, thin layers of plaster were coming loose. It's like the paint dampened it enough to let thin layers of plaster to come up. The only thing I could do was put a thick wet enough layer of latex to get it all to lay down.

So as the paint was drying,it's began to peel up from the plaster surface. Of course that doesn't look good at all. The bad thing is I painted 18 feet of layout and it's pretty much all going to have to be peeled back up and removed and done right.

I've consulted with some experienced people and it appears I should have done two things: 1) wet the plaster surface well and then 2) paint it with a much thinner diluted paint.

In a nutshell: "if you don't wet down the plaster well just before painting, then the dry plaster will rob moisture from the paint. As a result, the paint will not be able to emulsify normally and adhere to the surface underneath. Whenever paint peels, the normal emulsification has been interrupted somehow, so the paint never bonded to the surface underneath. Most commonly, moisture loss faster than normal causes this."

Of course I had no clue and this is my paint on plaster baptism of fire.

Back