What the heck is this part on Walthers locomotives?

PIN DR

I went on a buying spree at the Madison, Wisconsin train show this weekend. Part of the acquisitions, were 3 new Walther locomotives. When I opened the packages it became clear that I have to install the couplers. Not a problem, as the parts schematic shows how they go on, but there is something that is puzzling me. Each of the locomotives also comes with a 1 inch long metal cylindrical piece that is magnetized. I cannot find anything in the paperwork that tells or shows where this part goes. I'm guessing it has something to do with the couplers, but have no idea what, or where it goes. Can someone enlighten me?

TIA,

Jeff

If the locomotive is a sound-equipped DCC locomotive, the wand is to reset the decoder via the reed switch on the top of the decoder board. The instructions are probably included, and I'm guessing it has a QSI decoder. It's in the manual.

This is a wild guess but is it those anti-theft things that are demagnetized to keep from setting off the alarm when you leave a store? I won't feel stupid if I'm completely wrong. :D

No, it is definitely part of the locomotive package as it is in a bag inside the box. The explanation about it being a decoder reset tool makes sense, but I NEVER would have thought of that. Is it necessary to reset the decoder prior to programming it for the first time, or is it just for down the road if I want to start over?

Jeff

I have the same locomotives. Its the QSI reset wand. If it becomes un-responsive you can easily reset it back to defaults with it. I've had to use it a couple of times.

The QSI decoders can be reset via a three-step operation, all explained in the manuals. However, the mechanical way is sometimes the only way to get it to respond...all decoders are potentially quirky. In that instance, they include the wand.

A less well-known way to reset intractable decoders is to isolate them for the purpose of blast mode, or Ops Mode/Programming on the main, and then resetting them using address "00". IOW, remove all other engines from the rail the locomotive you're about to reset is on, or use a programming track where you can still use Ops Mode/Programming on the Main...Digitrax Super Empire Builder's DB150 controller is an example. From there, acquire address "00" on the throttle and then go through that decoder type's steps for a factory defaults restore via CV inputs. I have never failed to recover a scrambled decoder that way, and I do use the DB150.

I have sound equipped Sunset models 2-6-0 that "sees" all the under-track uncoupling magnets and it says "MAX" every time it runs over one. Someday I'm going to tear that thing out! :)

Back