what system do you run.

its been DC for a while using Rail power 1350 but I just bought A Digitrax Zepher but hadn't set it up yet, the reason I got digitrax because I know a lot of people using it and so I got it so my controllers can be compatible with theirs and theirs with mine.

Well Espee seems to be comparing two systems and saying one is easier to use than the other. That's good in my mind. I've never used anything but the system I have which is digitrax. It's never given me any trouble but that sure isn't a consumer reports article.

I think Selector is pretty funny.

Each has their strengths and weaknesses so yes, it's very much personal preference. For me, I run both. I chose an NCE PowerCab for my Z-scale switching puzzle layout, that I take to shows, because it's easier to move around, very compact, and will handle any number of Z locos I might ever ask it to. The handheld unit is also very intuitive to use for visitors.

On my HO layout, I went Digitrax because of Loconet, which seems to me to be a much more robust and feature-rich computer interface than anything NCE offers. My main intent for the HO layout is to play with computer automation, signalling, etc. so the Digitrax was a better fit there, in my view.

As title says what kind of setup does everyone use to run your layout, if its dc or dcc and what brand and why did you choose that?

Also do you like it. Or would you rather have something different?
Such an easy sounding question, but so many grey areas...I supposed it would help if a person had only "a layout" to comment about. Then one can ask if the comments are only on running the layout and not the set-up, configuration, and other features.

I have a set of modular units that have a plug into which ANY power can be applied. For DC I have several MRC gold boxes from an original AMPAK that I got in 1967, to a dual box I picked up at a garage sale for $5. I've also got one of their latest Command 9500 units. I love them all.

Moving to command control I have a CVP Railcommand with wireless throttles. It is probably my all time favorite. It is just too discouraging and expensive to maintain with all the cheap and readily available DCC systems out there.

My first DCC system was (is - I have two) the MRC Command 2000. It is so old now that it only gets use by children and Christmas Tree duty. It is a 14 step unit and is limited to 10 simultaneous channels. I like it having three throttles on the base unit.

My first "real" DCC system was the Lenz Set-100. I got this because our club spent almost a year analyzing all the systems and that is the one we choose. All the members purchased home units at the same time and we got a huge volume discount (I think we purchased 17 sets, 41 extra throttles, 50 boosters, and hundreds of decoders simultaniously. It was more product than many hobby stores were selling in a year at that time). I then added the CVP wireless throttles. The Lenz throttles are just a bit too wide for my hand, while the CVP are excellent. The bad thing is that there can only be 8 wireless throttles on the system at one time.

My next DCC system was a Digitrax Zephyr. I wanted to run and experiement with the loco net and transponding. So far I've not done that but rather used the Zephyr when I need DCC quick and simple. It has gotten assigned to Christmas tree duty a couple times. I always hated the previous generation Digitrax wireless that had to be plugged-in to aquire locos, or I might have a more expansive digitrax setup. So far the Zephyr itself and the two jumper throttles have been sufficient.

Many (most) of the layouts in the operating groups I participate have or are moving to NCE. Their latest wireless upgrades (3.6 ?) really solved the problems they had been having. As you can imagine since I did not like the size of the Lenz throttles I really hate the hammer head NCE boat anchors. After a day at the museum my arm is tired from lugging that thing around. On the other hand I like the UT-4 throttle. I have not gotten a chance to play with the new UT-6 yet but other than the high price I think I will like it two. After the inital batch of 100 or so Lenz decoders, I would guess of non-sound units I have probably installed more NCE decoders into my locos than any other brand.

I've not gotten to play with the MRC Advance, Zimo, or Bachmann's new sytem. So I have no opinion.

While I have not gotten to play with the CVP Easy-DCC system either I can guess sinced it was based on the Railcommand concept that I would probably prefer it over all. If it is indeed is like railcommand it is by far the most intuative to use. I really like two fixed throttles on the base station.

Finally on the other hand if you want comments on set up, programming, computer interfaces, and the like I have an equally long story.

Last edited by a moderator:
DC with the track wired in blocks and a homemade tethered walkaround throttle. I have a relatively small (22' by 6.5' with hidden staging) switching layout so its perfect for me! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back