What switch size and brand should I select?

Hey, model railroaders can be cool too!!! Honestly, I get more joy out of working on my layout and running trains than any of my other interests.

Yea...I find the guitar stuff the most challenging of all my hobbies. My hands can be retarded sometimes but I'm getting better.

Carey, the kind he wants is the Code 83 Streamline. The Code 100 Pecos, non-Streamline, are those with the curved divergent route seen in England and in parts of Europe.

Thanks Crandell! Since I don't use any commercial brands on my layout, (except for 14 Atlas #6, all tweaked) I wasn't sure how they were labeled nowadays, except for the difference between the Euro, and the N.A.

The Streamline series is what you want. To the best of my knowledge it is available in code 100, 83 and 75. But I don't know if every turnout configuration, etc is available in each code.

I use code 83. I went with the "Electrofrog" turnouts even though they require controlling power to the frog.

I use the Insulfrog variety of Code 83 from Peco. Even my tiny SW8 with four axles can cross them without a hitch, as it does my handlaid #8's, also with insulated frogs.

The question is how many of those axles pickup power? If at least one axle on each truck picks up power (from both rails) then you are likely not going to have issues. I have some small engines with only two axles a short distance apart that need live frogs.

I vote for Peco Streamline Code 83 Insulfrog #6. They are reliable and look quite good. I made several #8 turnouts which I like very much, especially for use on the main.

This is what I would recommend also. If you have room for #8 then use them but #6 will be just fine.

BLI makes HO Hi-Rail trucks. Those things have probably the shortest wheelbase of any motive power you'll own. If one of those makes it across your turnouts without stalling, anything will. For the records, mine doesn't have any issue with the Peco insulfrogs... :)

cn.4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very interesting. I would have thought you would have problems with a vehicle like that. But I never tried the Insulfrog style, I just went with what I knew would work. Good to know.

Hello there,

Thanks people! So Peco Streamline #6 it is then! Thanks for the input!:)

If you have room for #8 then use them but #6 will be just fine.

I would like to have #8, but space on my layout is somewhat restricted.

Also, just a question out of curiosity, what is the equivalent radius of a #6 turn out?

Thanks again!

Regards, DE.

BLI makes HO Hi-Rail trucks. Those things have probably the shortest wheelbase of any motive power you'll own. If one of those makes it across your turnouts without stalling, anything will. For the records, mine doesn't have any issue with the Peco insulfrogs... :)

cn.4.jpg

I love those vehicles and the Gandy type cars but always was turned away thinking they might stall on turnouts. I guess they have a super-capacitor in them to keep power going on dead parts of the track. Thanks for posting this. As the other person replied, good to know.

I love those vehicles and the Gandy type cars but always was turned away thinking they might stall on turnouts. I guess they have a super-capacitor in them to keep power going on dead parts of the track. Thanks for posting this. As the other person replied, good to know.

No supercap in these, so they will definitely stall if your track has a deadspot longer than the wheelbase. That's what makes these so good for verifying the wiring of your track. In fact, this little guy very quickly pointed out to me that I forgot to electrify the frogs on my Walthers curved turnouts when all of the other locos with their all-axle pick-up sailed right across them... It was happy with the Peco insulfrogs, however.

No supercap in these, so they will definitely stall if your track has a deadspot longer than the wheelbase. That's what makes these so good for verifying the wiring of your track. In fact, this little guy very quickly pointed out to me that I forgot to electrify the frogs on my Walthers curved turnouts when all of the other locos with their all-axle pick-up sailed right across them... It was happy with the Peco insulfrogs, however.

Thanks for the additional info notabob. That's a good idea though using it to test with. Thank you for that.

After a lot of careful consideration, I think I will be using Peco's turnouts...sure they are a bit pricey, but for the performance and ability to skip the process of installing groundthrows I think they are worth it. Do they stay close to the rails in both positions?

yes they do,and they give less problems than ground throws

Hello there,

The Peco Streamline #6 has a 43" radius.

You can find all relevant Peco turnout dimensions at this link. Streamline 83 is on the 2nd page of the PDF. Enjoy!!

Thanks notabob! That's nice information, I'm surprised the #5 turn out has a radius of 26".

One more question: I've seen somewhere that says when nailing the track down, that to never nail down the switch track and only the flex track or the likes that join it? Any advice on this?

Regards,

DE.

What I do is to use joiners to suspend the turnout between the other three ends of track. I even solder them. Later, if I need to remove the turnout, I can heat the joint and remove the joiner/slide it back, or just use a cut-off disk and lift out the appliance. To keep the turnout in place and on grade, just ballast it, but keep the glue and ballast grains away from any points rail hinges and from the throwbar assembly. You don't want gunk in that over-center spring on the Pecos.

Hello there,
One more question: I've seen somewhere that says when nailing the track down, that to never nail down the switch track and only the flex track or the likes that join it? Any advice on this?

Regards,

DE.

It doesn't hurt to tack them down with nails, if you don't glue it. On Peco turnouts there are five half-drilled nail holes you can see from the bottom and finish drilling with a pin vise. Track nails pull out pretty easily once the turnout is free from the surrounding track, and they will hold the turnout in place more securely.

Don't use track nails. Just get some latex caulk, spread a thin layer. It easier that way, and comes up pretty easy if you want to adjust track.

Back