What Scale would you prefer for this.....

hotwinger

HO Switchman
I'm at the undecisive part. Before I built the 5x9 benchwork I had my mine set on HO. Now after it's built, i'm thinking I would be able to fit more if I went to N scale. But HO Seems to have everything more available and it seems easier to work with.
I need some opinions.
so I guess the real question is, would you rather use N or HO for a 5x9 table?

Thanks

If I were into running trains, I'd go with N scale. If you prefer building detailed models, go with HO.

Well after several questions of my own, I have learned that now there is a lot more stuff available for N scale than what there used to be. You will definitely be able to fit more in N scale than you could HO. I personally have become a big fan of N scale, but the final decision is yours. Good luck in what ever you choose.

As has been suggested, the choice of scale is a very personal one. There are a lot of factors to concider, and you've only scratched the surface of them.

Size is important. HO scale offers one the ability to model a very detailed scene in a reasonable space. Smaller details are able to be modeled and their inclusion can be appreciated. N scale however, has a diminished detail threshold. Those tiny details are lost. What you gain though is the vastness of the real world! You can model scenery that really dwarfs the trans. Trains that are closer to a prototypical length, and cityscapes and mountains that tower over them. I'm not saying that an N scale model cannot look very detailed though.....it can! (Just check out this fine example of N scale modeling: http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/What Scale/WSII78.jpg)

It's true that HO scale has much more then any other scale available off the shelves, but N scale is closing that gap all the time! Still, the fact remains, HO has a lot more available off the shelf and so it's probably the easiest scale to get started in from that standpoint. I'm not saying that it's easy to master or doesn't require skill, not at all. I'm just saying that if you want to run a Heisler locomotive for example, in HO you'll have several choices of manufacturers, whereas in N scale you're going to be honing your scratchbuilding skills.

As far as cost goes, there isn't a lot of difference between N scale and HO these days. The real conciderations are those of a physical limitation, such as poorer eyesight or shakey hands (N scale parts can be pretty small, though an optivisor can help) and the astetic differences (detail vs. vastness).

One last consideration is sound. HO loco's can virtually all have sound. They either come that way or there's room to add it. N scale is just beginning to get sound. It can be had from the factories in a few loco's, but for the most part it's still coming. There are a lot of loco's that it would be difficult to add sound to because of space conciderations too. It's not a deal killer, but something worth concidering.

I'm an N scaler. Switched from HO to N back in the 80's and haven't looked back. I love N scale and until my eyesight prevents me from modeling it, I'll probably stick with it.

My recommendation to you?

Go to a local hobby shop. Take a look at models in all the scales you're interested in. Get your hands on them. Look at the building and bridge kits, check out the scenery materials. One scale will "speak" to you. It'll stand out as the right one for you. Thats your scale!

Last edited by a moderator:
good question. i have spent the last 10 years buying things for my N scale dream layout. about six months ago i came in here ready to sell it all to switch to HO. after alot discussion and consideration, i decided to keep with N scale Heres why:

I didnt have the space to build an equal HO scale layout.

I cannot down grade from my current plan becuase anything less just simply wont do, (i'd be board with it too quickly)

everything costs about the same

and some day, perhaps everything available in HO will be available in N!!

my thoughts Ryan

I prefer N due to the fact I wanted a large layout in a reasonable amount of space and N scale allows me to do that. For that 5' x 9' space I would go with N (what is the shape of the layout? an L, tabletop, etc.).

Personally I like HO scale. If you are going for a nicely modeled layout I would go in HO scale, but if you just wanna run trains around N scale would be fine for that. I think that 5x9 is a good size for an HO scale layout

HO scale does have more models of every type - structures, locomotives. freight, and passenger cars - than does N scale. That's an uncontestable fact. Now, whether or not choosing a scale because it has 16,000 items available compared to 9,000 items available is another matter. Many HO scale modelers never use more than a tiny proportion of the total items available. I do HO mainly because I like to build cityscapes. I can do a much more detailed job and there are more items available in HO than N. I sacrifice a nice big yard, long mainline runs, and having the scenery really dominate the trains, as it does in real life. You have to decide what's important to you and that should make your scale decisions. Do you like to build streets with scale curbs, sewer grates, manholes, fire hydrants that look like real fire hydrants....etc.? If so, you should choose HO scale. If a road that's the right color and looks good enough from a foot away is fine, N scale is for you. Do you like big mountains with the train in a canyon? With 5x8 available, N scale is your choice. There are a ton of different reasons why each scale has appeal. As Phillip wrote, one scale will finally jump out at you as the right scale. Take it and run with and don't look bad.

All if you guys have givin me great advice. Thank you.

I'm going to take a trip to the LHS and get a real feel and see what stands out.

I was looking threw my Model Railroader magazines earlier, one minute your obssesed over looking at everything in one scale then the next you considered the other (N-Scale) and realize that 90% of it talks and shows items for HO.
Thats kinda frustrating.
I'm starting absolutly fresh and buying everything new. I guess this is why what scale I choose is vital at this time.
I don't want to get N scale structures, set them up then change my mind.

This was the layout I had for the HO version for the 5x9. Maybie it's possible I could convert this to N and then add lots more. Or just start all over. I think if I can come up with a really nice layout design for N-Scale that would really help me decide .
latestlayout-1.jpg

what is the shape of the layout? an L, tabletop, etc.).
It's a tabletop.

Do you like to build streets with scale curbs, sewer grates, manholes, fire hydrants that look like real fire hydrants....etc.? If so, you should choose HO scale. If a road that's the right color and looks good enough from a foot away is fine, N scale is for you. Do you like big mountains with the train in a canyon? With 5x8 available, N scale is your choice.
Thats a good point.
To me having all of the details are not that important . At least look some what realistic. I want to fit more than just one gran elevator and a engine house on the layout. Have Street lights, signal lights, telephone poles, lakes with people swimming and fishing. I'm sure I can achieve all this still in N-Scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might concider building that layout as is in N ascale, just adjust the track centers and such. Those curves would be pretty generous in N, and you'd be able to take advantage of the larger scope of scenery that N scale affords. Your buildings would have a little breathing room, and in the end, your layout would actually look larger for it because of it's expansivness.

Looks like N Scale is for you ! Nowadays there is a lot things available in N Scale as were years ago . It is just a bit too small for myself !!

Well I went to the LHS last night to help me decide what scale (N or HO) and I have decided with HO. The hobby shop that I go to has a pretty good even amount of both scales. HO just stuck out to me. Not becuase more is available in HO or it's more detailed but simply becuase the size..
Before last night I kind of forgot how small N Scale was. I been looking at peoples layouts online, comparing detail and scenery to those who work in HO. N looks just as detailed from a view away. When you look at pictures online in N scale its decieving. It's much smaller in person. When N reminded me how SMALL it is when I seen the locos and people at the LHS, I just new It would be very challenging to work with. Plus when I move into a house I plan on adding to this 5x7 with a whole basement layout.

I wish I could use N becuase I would benefit me with more to build. But its too gosh dorn small!

Back