What scale modeler earns the most money? Or who has the most to spend?

Who has the most income?

• HO Scale modelers

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • N Scale modelers

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • O Scale modelers

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Z Scale modelers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HOn3 modelers

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
Hey Shadow,

That Dob is a 17.5" f/5 Discovery scope. It weighed 195 pounds.

Too bright for Lunar & Planetary work...(the glare kills ya...filters mandatory!), but unbelievable on Galaxies and Nebulas, especially in High Desert Skies!

yarddutyhal

Great that you got to see through a scope up to the task. DSO's have always been an object of amazement to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that it could be a toss up between G scalers and O scalers. We had an O scale brass collector locally that had to have a fortune in brass equipment. He said that he wasn't sure how many he had, but guessed in the range of 300. I has custom painted a number of Milwaukee Road locomotives and a few cabooses for him and when I saw what he had in the basement of his shop, I about fell over.

Funny, but I've never had as much money to spend on hobbies as I've had during my past 15 Retirement years!

I used to be concerned about my budget while earning money as a well-paid aerospace engineer/technician for Boeing, but now I have more to spend on hobbies than ever before!

It could be because I don't have car payments (I paid cash for my new car last year, and my home will be paid for before 2014).

I guess my nice 37-year Pension plus Socialized Security helps a lot...

But I'm not surprised at how it turned out...I guess it's because I planned it that way early in my employment...save as much as you can from your paycheck, don't withdraw anything, and watch that nest-egg grow through compounding interest!

Yes, children...there's no magic formula...just save, save, and save, and when that Retirement day comes, you'll have to rent a moving van to take home all that money!

yarddutyhal

You have been retired a long time lol.

I say deep pockets have nothing to do with scale. I would have the same train budget whether I was working in G-scale or Z-scale. Now there might be a correlation between having more HO scale and N scale people just because of the availability of cheapo christmas trains sets, and that is how they "happened" to get started.

And then no one has even mentioned Sn3. Talk about an expensive set of trains.

Holy Mackerel Andy!

I hope you don't have any permanent damage.

After that incident and you still want to run your trains. Now that is a man that loves his trains!

You are right, it does not matter really.

As I said in my early posts in this thread, money plays very small part in what we decide to spend. Other then a man with x number of dollars can only spend x number of dollars

There is no answer to this rhetorical question, but it has generated some interesting discussion.

I hope you feel better soon Bad Order.

Louis

I think this guy wins!! Something like $500,000 USD invested in it. Imagine what he could do with a train!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC4jG-wuVoc

I watched that video in disbelief! That's incredible! It looks to me like he even got ALL the control surface correct. Did you see how SLOW that thing can fly? Wayyyy too much money for me.

Even if I could afford that, I have way too many other priorities to spend $500K on it. I could by a few folks houses with that money and feel a lot better about it.

I think that those guys who model 1:1 scale collecting and restoring rolling stock are probably the most well to do. :)

Hi Larry!

I would have to agree with that!

Not only is the equipment and restoration expensive, but think about how big that layout has to be!

Louis

RC Shadow, Bad Order, where did this thread come from? I don't make any money, that is why they call it a hobby.

otherwise it would be a business. lasm

I really didn't consider G Scale for the poll because mainly because its a whole different animal than the indoor scales. That being said I'm pretty sure you need some deep pockets to run a decent sized G scale pike.
I got my start in G (Fn3) by pure luck. I just happened to wander by and walk into "Downtown Hobbies" in Denver in 1984. It was the last week that they were open and all remaining G-equipment was 90% off. That started one car or switch track or loco at each birthday / Christmas, that after 30 years later makes quite an empire.

Another expensive scale is Sn3, almost all brass.

Then there is the O-gauge crowd. $1200-$5000 for some of those collectible three rail locos.

But in the big scheme of things I would guess there is zero correlation between budget and scale. The only thing that might come into play there are all the Christmas / Birthday people that have gotten into the hobby with some cheapo HO or N scale set.

I voted for HO-since Rod Stewart has been on the cover of Model Railroader at least twice, that has to be the one, right? LOL. But with that line of reasoning, I'd have gone with O, I mean, O was good enough for Frank Sinatra!

Walt Disney would qualify with live steam at two levels, his home outdoor layout and the 12'=1' "layouts" in Florida and California. Of course, Warren Buffett would make the list with his Lionel and BNSF "collections", plus his other Berkshire Hathaway-owned railroad suppliers.

All in good fun-I just couldn't resist this one!

Louis---This thread showed up as an active topic, and when I saw RC Shadow I decided to check it out--He has been off the forum for a long time and I wondered how he was doing.

Then I misread the intention of the thread, which I thought was who made the most money in the hobby rather than who made the most money period and what scale did they choose.

I guess the holiday really threw me for a loop. lasm

When I first read the title of the thread, I thought it was intrusive and no ones business, then I started reading it and realised what was actually being asked.

With the exception of a few millionaires and upwards, as have been mentioned above, I would think that the majority of Model Railroaders are just normal everyday people with an interest in the hobby. While it is obvious that money plays apart in the hobby, I don't think you need to be wealthy to be in it or enjoy it. What you have, in term of a layout (to be read as engines/rolling stock/scenery etc) is naturally dependent on how much expendable income you have.

If a vote is needed based on "individual items" for each scale, then I would imagine that a G Scale engine would cost far more than any other scale engine, not withstanding collectibles of course. As such, I would think to own and operate a decent sized G Scale setup would require more finances than to run a similarly sized HO Scale layout. The amount of cash needed JUST for the space for a G Scale would make that scale a more expensive one to become involved in.

I know how much I have spent on my current layout; well actually I don't, but I do know that each purchase usually doesn't get me much change out of $500, and I have a HO Scale layout.

Bottom line to me is this: (theoretically now) I spend $500 on X amount for my HO layout and get X amount. I wonder how much I would get for the same amount of money in O Scale or G Scale or any other scale if it comes to that. It is all relative :)

Footnote: Obviously, the more expendable cash you have, the more you can afford; however, I really don't think that a hobby should be based on ones financials. It should be based on the persons passion, interest and enjoyment in it. I have had numerous hobbies over the years, RC Aircraft, Modelling (general) and so on. I don't see Model Railroading to be an anymore expensive hobby than many others.

"What scale modeler earns the most money? Or who has the most to spend?"
LASM, don't feel bad I still don't understand the purpose of this thread. I think your problem was you have a tremendous amount common sense and this thread in my opinion goes against that.

What I choose to like or play with has no bearing on how much I make or have to spend.

Being retired I personally don't have any income other then capital gains and I keep them rolling over. I went into my savings to be able to enjoy this hobby. Income and or cost had nothing to do with me loving Modern Lionel and expanding my hobby to HO and even dabbling in N scale. I just love my trains!

I don't understand, is there some cut off I am unaware of? If I make more then, let me pick an arbitrary number say $250,000 does that mean my love for modern Lionel would then be shifted to the much more expensive highly collectable Pre-war and Post-war Lionel? Does that also mean I would suddenly stop loving my old DC trains? That's crazy to me! For me trains are sentimental and how can I place a price tag on that?

I agree with what you said you earlier and what Tony said in his last post. This hobby or any hobby is not about money.

Of course money is a factor on how much I buy, but never on what scale I buy.

By the way I miss RC Shadow and even Bad Order too!

Back