What PRR electrics are available in HO???

I’ve recently had some space open up in which I can build a layout but have come to realize that it is too small for a decent “S’-scale (1:64th scale) operation.

Since I’m going to have to build this layout in a new scale, I’ve been thinking about also selecting a new time period and railroad to focus on.

Since I’ve always found the electric operations on the PRR to be fascination, I’ve been thinking of modeling this layout after the PRR’s Enola operations during the mid 1960’s.

This period and location would allow me to model PRR electric freight and passenger operations as well as locomotives ranging from the venerable GG-1 to the E-44’s, FF-2’s, P-5a’s, and B-1’s.

Believing that HO always has a much greater variety of models available then did S-scale, I didn’t think that finding most of these engines would be a problem.

However, now that I’ve been doing some searching, I’m finding that, other then the GG-1, none of these engines seem to be available.

Am I simply searching in the wrong places???

Are decent models of these engines (brass or plastic) available in HO???

There are no plastic models of PRR electrics except the GG-1. I know the E-44 and the FF-2 were both produced in brass but are long out of production. They show up occasionally on e-bay and at brass dealers like Caboose Hobbies at pretty steep prices. I've never seen models of the other two.

You may want to rethink your plan. :(

All the locomotive types mentioned, and a host of other PRR electrics, are available in brass but in little else. Bachmann indeed produced an E-33 a few years ago in plastic and, amazingly, the B-1 was done in plastic back 60 years ago but not since!

NYW&B

The Pennsy FF2s were in fact Great Northern Y1s that were purchased after the end of electric operations on the GN.

Back