What Number Tunrouts would you prefer?

hotwinger

HO Switchman
I'm having a hard time deciding if I should have the turnouts in the red circle be #4s or #6s. I'm only running geeps and slow speed switching threw the crossover tracks and the siding. But eventually when I add on I will be having long frieght and modern sized engines running on the mainline. If the large engines and frieght cars are running through when the turnouts are set straight will they be affected if I use #4s? Thanks

3180386443_fe5c865de2_o.jpg

You should try number 6's for modern layouts with full size cars. It will work well and you will not have as many derailments from drag.

95% of my switches are #6's. I have about 5 #4's in my yards & when I back a long engine into these switch's at slow speeds I very seldom have any derailments. The only problems I have w/a #4 is w/long passenger cars that have the coupler mounted on the trucks. I prefer #6's or #8's. Someday I'm going to change the #4's to all # 6's.
I had some #8 curved switch's that were always giving trouble & I took them out right away.
Larry

My Peco Streamline Code 83 Insulfrog #6 turnouts are very good...excellent for ready to use commercial turnouts. They cost more, but how much is your hobby enjoyment and blood pressure regulation worth?

I use Fast Tracks #8 turnouts on my main, and they are superb. My skill at making them could use some work, but they are forgiving if you get them even close.

If I were on a deserted island and were given a single choice of turnouts, it would be the Peco #6's. There wouldn't be any electricity to solder the Fast Tracks. :p

You will be building an S curve with this configuration.

I would use #6 and try to put some space between the switches to straighten the S curve out.

Back