what model are these locomotives?

Hmm... in fact double Hmm...... in point of fact MRL (the Montana Rail Link version) did actually at one time own a GE loco. Listed as a former unit, disposal date or means thereby unknown. 'Twas a 44T switcher, Blt 1944, previously owned by Talgo/LRC/Salmon Bay Steel/NW Steel Rolling Mills/US Army Transportation Corp.

I suppose it wouldn't be toooo much of a stretch of the imagination to have it morph into an ES44AC in this century, stranger things have happened before in those Montana mountains.

Might see you down at the club tomorrow.

Hmm... in fact double Hmm...... in point of fact MRL (the Montana Rail Link version) did actually at one time own a GE loco. Listed as a former unit, disposal date or means thereby unknown. 'Twas a 44T switcher, Blt 1944, previously owned by Talgo/LRC/Salmon Bay Steel/NW Steel Rolling Mills/US Army Transportation Corp.

I suppose it wouldn't be toooo much of a stretch of the imagination to have it morph into an ES44AC in this century, stranger things have happened before in those Montana mountains.

Might see you down at the club tomorrow.

Umm, well, both locos are GE and they have 44 in they designation.:rolleyes:

I might be doing some track work at the club tomorrow. What is the chance of you bringin the MRL MP15 along for a run?

Be a good idea, might find out where all the loose bits go back on to. Have to break it to the wife gently (and turn the hearing aids off).

Umm, well, both locos are GE and they have 44 in they designation.:rolleyes:

Toot, PaulB, surely you've heard of freelancing! So what if the MRL didn't have modern GE's. Its your world, and your railroad. In regards to modeling, my Dad gave me great advice, he said always remember, "Its MY railroad, and Ill run it any DA** way I please."

Toot, PaulB, surely you've heard of freelancing! So what if the MRL didn't have modern GE's. Its your world, and your railroad. In regards to modeling, my Dad gave me great advice, he said always remember, "Its MY railroad, and Ill run it any DA** way I please."

I agree with that sentiment entirely, but I have an innate tendency towards accuracy which is hard to overcome at times, so there is this internal controversy going on which pops it's head up to annoy me. I also tend to be an "overbuilder" of anything I make, i.e. make it a DA** sight stronger and heavier than it ever would need to be (which is also a bummer if I realise I have to take it apart).

Okay, here's the plausible story for those late model GEVOs:
MRL has been leased a pair of ES44ACs, painted in MRL colors, for long-term evaluation and testing, from GE.

Not really. Athearn, Atlas, Model Power, Life Like, just about every maker, made foobies almost exclusively from when they started making what ever locomotives.
Oh yes in that context. Production manufactures that just applied the paint scheme over whatever came off the line. Cannot argue against that point. Baldwin shark noses in Santa Fe red war bonnet!

I meant in the context of a manufacturer purposely taking a modern locomotive and imagining what if that fallen flag had made it into modern times.

Okay, here's the plausible story for those late model GEVOs:
MRL has been leased a pair of ES44ACs, painted in MRL colors, for long-term evaluation and testing, from GE.

That would work for me! I mean in order to have some locomotives I like, on the layout pulling trains, that my prototype road never had. I just painted them into a little known shortline called the Alabama Central, (which really existed BTW). the Southern never had any N&W Y-3's, nor did they have H-8 Alleghenies, but my little road does. It has engines from the TNO&P, a sub of SP, IC, N&W, C&O, SAL, Ma&Pa, Graham County & Frisco. Plus, the GM&O has trackage rights from their tracks to the main yard for interchange. The rest are all SRR.

Today I discovered, at the club I'm in the process of joining that I have another MRL enthusiast. Will be good to have someone local I can pick the brains of, but not so good in that i'll also have a competitor for the limited amount of gear available, haha.

Speaking of the "foobies" and the pure fantasy painted trains, a couple of weeks ago I picked up an Athearn Special Edition pair of insulated boxcars. One is in the FGE "Chiller" paint, and the other is in the infamous "Solid Clod" paint. These were foobies in that the real cars were reefers, not simply insulated cars. They look good, especially for blue box stuff.
Today, I was at my LHS, and spied an FGE reefer car, painted in the not-misspelled "Solid Cold" scheme. Without thoroughly examining the car, I grabbed it, paid for it, and headed home. When I got home, oh, boy, did I have a surprise. This current production car is a reefer, and has the sort of correct paint and lettering, but that's it. It's a 1990's paint job on a 1955-era 50' reefer car, complete with roof walk. To say it stands out like a sore thumb is an understatement.

Today I discovered, at the club I'm in the process of joining that I have another MRL enthusiast. Will be good to have someone local I can pick the brains of, but not so good in that i'll also have a competitor for the limited amount of gear available, haha.

It's hard to find a west coast road that no one else in the area is already modelling. No one seems to go for Canadian or east coast around here. May CP would be a road that fits what others have and yet has not been claimed.

Why not try short lines, industrial or leasers. I don't know of anyone else in Brisbane with RSSX locos. In fact I don't know anyone else who has ever heard of them. I think I can claim with confidence to be the only owner of a Gopher State Scrap Metal yard loco. I had to do a little bit of conversion and paint it myself though.

True, true, can't say I've ever seen any CP or CN in Aus, considering we're both what used to be called colonials, 'tis a bit strange. Maybe it's because Aussies feel more of an affinity with the US, specially since WW2 and the culture is copied more.

At least your GSSM loco won't have far to go when it reaches retirement haha.

True, true, can't say I've ever seen any CP or CN in Aus, considering we're both what used to be called colonials, 'tis a bit strange. Maybe it's because Aussies feel more of an affinity with the US, specially since WW2 and the culture is copied more.

At least your GSSM loco won't have far to go when it reaches retirement haha.

Now you mention it, the loco does look like rolling scrap. Which reminds me, I must order some coalveyor gondolas for scrap service.

Back