What Makes a Good Model Railroad Video

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
We have a few videos on the forum here of model railroads. The video quality goes from tolerable to pretty good and I am referring to the lighting and stability of the camera as well as focus and perspective of the train.
I've done a few videos of my empire because I believe there is an interest in large layouts and some guys who just don't have rights to that much right of way can live their dream through my camera lenses. One of my efforts in presenting my empire is to inspire others to push on with their work to try stuff on their layouts to make it a little more finished.
What are your likes and dislikes in model railroad videos?

of my efforts in presenting my empire is to inspire others to push on with their work to try stuff on their layouts to make it a little more finished.
What are your likes and dislikes in model railroad videos?

Good idea, Ken. I made a bunch of videos and I admit some are not that great, but once made I feel that if you don't like it you don't have to watch it.

There is a lot of crap on tv that a lot of people watch and enjoy.

Some of the youtube videos are not that good but still a lot of people watch. I guess it is a matter of taste. To get to your question, I like videos that get to the point. The videos of operations, I like it when there is good scenery and not just the trains driving around a lot. Someone may be more interested in the signals and the track layout. In fact, when watching the operations, I find myself looking at the scenery and deciding what I want to incorporate in my layout.

I decided that people do want to see your face at least a little, because I sometimes click a video because the person catches my interest. There have been some that have too much about the person, though.

This is a good question and you could be a video mogul if you cracked it. lasm

I really enjoy your videos DJ, and sometimes I can't believe how huge your layout is, and seeing the video helps show that.

What I don't like about videos, is people who don't describe the layout, what is going on, info like that. And also the ones that keep the camera in one single place, and don't pan the camera to follow the train.

Hey Ken,

That is a great question, but I think it has many answers.

For me the subject is most important, that is to say the trains themselves. I like to see locomotives and rolling stock that I like. I want to see scenery that depicts Americana regardless of whether or not it would be correct for the era . The cinematography is secondary for me.

This is an interesting thread and I have and will enjoy most of the replies.

I really enjoy your videos and admire you ambitions with such a large railroad. I have been lucky enough to visit and operate on large railroads and really enjoy the visits. Have you ever tried to make a video of a cab ride or caboose ride like I have posted below. I would love to take a tour around you layout.

Here's another one I found, not as polished, but it maintains interest with a combination of pacing, action, and interesting detail. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSUXSRsXsI8&list=UUDFLXcwRnw96-S4miXdyE1w One thing I notice is that if I actually run a sound-equipped loco in person, I really enjoy the sound. But on Youtube, model sound doesn't seem to come out right, and dubbed prototype sound works much better. Or good music.

I worked at the coal piers in Baltimore and your video is too real! You are an artist.

Back