What kind of tape

I've always used 3M blue painters tape. It has to be 3M, the generic stuff just isn't the same and won't stay stuck as well. Also, I always cut a new edge with a sharp blade. The factory edge off the roll is never sharp enough for masking a crisp line.

Mark.

I still use drafting tape. Its like masking tape, but no where near as sticky. It also comes in a thinner width than masking tape usually does. I've never had much luck with 3M painters tape. Not saying it doesn't work, just that I've never had much luck with it.

3M drafting tape is good. I use it also. I's lower tack and less likely to lift paint. Tamiya also makes some nice masking tape in various widths that goes around sharp corners well. If you want to go top shelf, trot down to the auto painting store and get the green masking tape. I's expensive, but very good.

Depending on the level of detail you might also check out Scotch Fine Line automotive masking tape, used by body shops to do some of their more detailed pinstripe work and so forth. It comes as small as 3/32" in width, has an extremely clean masking edge and releases nicely. Since I do N-scale it especially comes in handy all the time, but I can imagine that some HO or larger paint jobs might have areas of detail where that would come in handy.

Back