What kind of engine is this?

jasonelki

Milwaukee Roader
Saw this pair rolling through the yard in Stevens Point, WI on Saturday morning, looked on a few of the locomotive picture sites and didn't see this beast, any ideas about #1204?

1562 is an ex-Wisconsin Central SW1500. 1204 is an ex-Illinois Central SW14. With heritage back to ex-Union Pacific SW10.

Cool, no wonder i didn't find it, I was looking for 1204 in CN colors! Thanks

jasonelki: Pay attention to the lettering below the cab numbers. They may be painted in CN colours but the reporting marks are still WC and IC.

So they are still WC 1562 and IC 1204, not CN 1562 and CN 1204.

This is a big difference because CN has a number of series that overlap with IC and WC number ranges.

jasonelki: Pay attention to the lettering below the cab numbers. They may be painted in CN colours but the reporting marks are still WC and IC.

So they are still WC 1562 and IC 1204, not CN 1562 and CN 1204.

This is a big difference because CN has a number of series that overlap with IC and WC number ranges.

Thanks for the heads up on this, didn't know that!

I wonder why CN would go through the process of repainting the locos only to keep the WC and IC reporting marks? Or is it strictly to keep from re-numbering the locos?

I wonder why CN would go through the process of repainting the locos only to keep the WC and IC reporting marks? Or is it strictly to keep from re-numbering the locos?

Realistically it probably boils down to a money/tax issue

Realistically it probably boils down to a money/tax issue

Maybe - probably mostly to do with customs and import issues with having equipment permanently assigned in two different countries. They have numbered some secondhand engines using WC, IC and GTW numbers, and one series of new C44-9Ws actually has IC numbers for US service.

Although technically reporting marks don't affect anything that way; you could have 3 different engines or cars with the same reporting mark or number series legally imported into different countries. I'm sure keeping all the original numbers is a lot easier and makes paperwork and keeping track of everything a little more simple, which could be an issue with an international railway the size of CN.

Probably a paperwork issue.

Don't forget, the BCOL units are now being repainted in CN colors also...
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2066757
Glad I shot it when it was still in BCOL paint.

Back