What is this?

CbarM

HO all the way!
Can someone tell me what this truck might belong to? I got it with a RPP 8-40 CW and chassis, but I am pretty sure this is an EMD truck...just not sure what type of unit it might belong to...

That's a Flexicoil truck from an Athearn SD45.
For your RPP dash 8, you'd want an Adirondack truck. Those trucks could be found under the Athearn U28C and U33C.

Can someone tell me what this truck might belong to? I got it with a RPP 8-40 CW and chassis, but I am pretty sure this is an EMD truck...just not sure what type of unit it might belong to...
That is an EMD three-motor Flexicoil. This truck was used under all EMD C-C models SD35 through SD60. They look very similar to the GE 1966 C truck. It takes a trained eye to see the difference. The easiest spotting feature is that the EMD truck has two holes on the main casting between the wheels while the GE only has one. The GE also has a rectangular plate behind the hole. The center brake cylinder is located lower and more centered than the EMD version.

Well thanks guys for the wealth of info!! I ordered 4 power trucks from a guy that were from Athearn U33C's for $20. I figured they would be used with dirty wheels n such...but they were BRAND NEW!! I think I got a deal there. Now I guess I will have to cut the towers off these trucks, do some scratch buildin n make me a cool flatcar or semi trailer load!!

Or before I go n do somethin I will most likely regret later haha...will the U30C or U33C sideframes fit these trucks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Or before I go n do somethin I will most likely regret later haha...will the U30C or U33C sideframes fit these trucks?

Yes!

There are also aftermarket sideframes made for these trucks. "Smokey Valley" is one manufacturer that comes to mind.

Dan

Back