What is happening?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Warner rails

Active Member
This morning I started to lock my dirt in place. I first used isopropyl then with a eyedropper used a 4:1 water/Elmer's glue. And this is the results I'm getting. What am I doing wrong here? All the glue wants to do is pool in place.
20210922_081000.jpg
20210922_080955.jpg
 

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
I also use a few drops of Dawn dishwashing detergent in the water/glue mixture. I also keep my ratio at 60% water, 40% glue. Make sure that the alcohol thoroughly soaks first. For that I use it 50:50 with water.
 

Warner rails

Active Member
Thanks. I realized after I posted that I forgot to add detergent. Another thing I tried just before work, was to take a soft brush and lightly brush the soil before the alcohol. Removing any remaining loose soil. That seemed to take the glue better and It allowed me to lightly apply my darker soil on top of that.
 

Warner rails

Active Member
I made a little discovery tonight. I decided to go back over the soil with another shade/coat. After I was finished I took the brush covered in glue and washed it in a cup of my alcohol. It instantly turned into blobs of jello like substance. That is what I was experiencing the first time around.
 

roofintrash

Active Member
I made a little discovery tonight. I decided to go back over the soil with another shade/coat. After I was finished I took the brush covered in glue and washed it in a cup of my alcohol. It instantly turned into blobs of jello like substance. That is what I was experiencing the first time around.
I had the same thing happen with a bottle of the Elmers with the black label. Switched to the standard elmers and the problem went away. Just something to try.
 

Warner rails

Active Member
I had the same thing happen with a bottle of the Elmers with the black label. Switched to the standard elmers and the problem went away. Just something to try.
That is exactly what I'm using. The black "school glue" label. See now I told my wife that she got me the wrong one. But she said glue is glue. 🤣
 

dave1905

Well-Known Member
First spray it with a light mist of water with a couple drops of soap to wet it, then add glue. The misting helps break the surface tension.
 

Warner rails

Active Member
First spray it with a light mist of water with a couple drops of soap to wet it, then add glue. The misting helps break the surface tension.
Thank you. I think the lack of soap and using that black label is my problem. I'll try using the regular Elmer's tomorrow.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)


ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Top