What is happening?

Warner rails

This morning I started to lock my dirt in place. I first used isopropyl then with a eyedropper used a 4:1 water/Elmer's glue. And this is the results I'm getting. What am I doing wrong here? All the glue wants to do is pool in place.
20210922_081000.jpg
20210922_080955.jpg

I also use a few drops of Dawn dishwashing detergent in the water/glue mixture. I also keep my ratio at 60% water, 40% glue. Make sure that the alcohol thoroughly soaks first. For that I use it 50:50 with water.

Thanks. I realized after I posted that I forgot to add detergent. Another thing I tried just before work, was to take a soft brush and lightly brush the soil before the alcohol. Removing any remaining loose soil. That seemed to take the glue better and It allowed me to lightly apply my darker soil on top of that.

I made a little discovery tonight. I decided to go back over the soil with another shade/coat. After I was finished I took the brush covered in glue and washed it in a cup of my alcohol. It instantly turned into blobs of jello like substance. That is what I was experiencing the first time around.

I made a little discovery tonight. I decided to go back over the soil with another shade/coat. After I was finished I took the brush covered in glue and washed it in a cup of my alcohol. It instantly turned into blobs of jello like substance. That is what I was experiencing the first time around.
I had the same thing happen with a bottle of the Elmers with the black label. Switched to the standard elmers and the problem went away. Just something to try.

I had the same thing happen with a bottle of the Elmers with the black label. Switched to the standard elmers and the problem went away. Just something to try.
That is exactly what I'm using. The black "school glue" label. See now I told my wife that she got me the wrong one. But she said glue is glue. 🤣

First spray it with a light mist of water with a couple drops of soap to wet it, then add glue. The misting helps break the surface tension.

First spray it with a light mist of water with a couple drops of soap to wet it, then add glue. The misting helps break the surface tension.
Thank you. I think the lack of soap and using that black label is my problem. I'll try using the regular Elmer's tomorrow.

Back