What is a Train Collector

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Well I have no idea of how many model locomotives I have in my train room and storage space. The same applies to the rolling stock I've collected over the years. Some items are 50 years old and are no longer manufactured, others I build myself, and would not part with. Some items are mint or close to mint condition. If asked, I would say I'm a model railroader, but am I a collector also. So my question is this What is a collector? and what are the criteria for this part of the hobby? :D

Cheers Willis

Well they're not alone in that respect :D, thought someone would have more information than that :)

Cheers Willis

I think a train collector pretty much has to determine his/her own definition. You may collect for investment, history, nostalgia or whatever reason.

For me a collector would be someone more interested in the article than operations, scenery, etc. Collectors may run their trains and have scenery or whatever but the main thrust of their interest is in the collecting or gathering of the pieces.

Right now, since my layout is apart I would have to say I am a collector!!! :D

Actually, I do collect Circus Train equipment and other memorabelia(SP?). I have a cabinet on the wall where I am starting to put the pieces as I finish them. if i ever put that collection on the layout i would have no room to run it.

I guess you can say I'm a collector. I have all kinds of loco's(diesels) from fallen flags to todays new engines. Right now, I have more loco's than I could ever run on a layout. Even mine that is 18 by 36ft. All 60 of mine are on display on the wall in clear plastic shelves. I even have some that I have never assembled yet that are in the original box.

Larry

I guess that makes us all, somewhat collectors. Myself I have some Tyco's mint or near mint condition, I just don't have the heart to cut them up for kitbashing, so I ended up buying more that I don't mind cutting up at all. Why I keep them I don't know :confused: , purchased on eBay :eek: they don't have any sentimental value. The Tyco locos are lousy runners, and the brass wheels, well!! so it not for the layout.

Cheers Willis

Back