What HO Code 83 Track?

mattm

I'd like to order some track to play around with. Not wanting to buy something I'll end up replacing later I've been looking at the options and I'm not real sure what I want to go with. I'm thinking along the lines of Code 83 track. Peco and Altlas seem to have very limited options for special track pieces, such as curved turnouts and I keep reading about Atlas supply problems. Walthers/Shinohara is relatively expensive but with extensive options. I see recommendations for Micro Engineering, but looks like they only make #6 turnouts. I'm also confused on the advisability of mixing track?

Avoid mixing track. Doable, but creates hassles.

Micro engineering is widely viewed as good, but hard to work with.

If I were starting from scratch, I'd use shinohara.

I use Atlas and it's certainly a viable option too. I have some shinohara mixed in, which works, but again, I'd prefer to avoid mixing if I could.

I agree, Shinohara is excellent track and turnouts. I started handlaying code 70 and finished my layout with Shinohara. I chose code 70 because I think it looks so much better than code 100 which, to me, looks a bit oversized after getting out of N scale years ago. Code 83 is a good alternative. I did try some ME flex track and it is difficult to work with. Shinohara does have quite a variety of different turnouts available also. Shinohara is distributed by Walthers. Peco is another posibility, but I have never worked with it. I would suggest using Flex track instead od sectional track as you would be limited to a certain radius track. Flex track is great because you can have a lot broader radius which looks so much better with larger locomotives and passenger cars.

I use Shinohara flex track, and Peco switches. Best there is, very good products.

Don't forget too, that Shinohara flex track is 39" long. And all the other products are 36".

I used Peco Code 83 Streamline for everything but a few special places where I built the required turnouts using the Fast Track system.

I REALLY like the Peco products.

Having very limited recent experience with track, I can only say that I tried some atlas, had some issues, and then I tried the Peco Code 83 after some recommendations form this forum. The Peco is, I think, superior track. I ended up purchasing all Peco for my up and coming layout. It is also nice that it is generally in stock and at reasonable prices.

I think I'm going to go with Peco due to the availability and more importantly half-the-price flex track. Sounds like the Shinohara and Peco are relatively interchangeable based on Motley's post so if I end up needing something Peco doesn't make, sounds like I can get by.

I'm reading some conflicting things on Peco Electrofrog vs. Insulfrog for DCC. If I'm remembering correctly, one page recommended the Electrofrog with some insulated joiners and wiring. Another the Insulfrog with some modifications, and yet another said the Insulfrog just works unless you have some out-of-spec wheels..

I used Peco Code 83 track and turnouts for my entire layout. I like the fact that the flex track holds it's shape while I form curves. I originally went with it because they offered curved turnouts which was helpful with my track plan and I also liked the turnouts because they "lock" into position without any additional equipment.

cchobbies.com (Cherry Creek Hobbies) had the best price I found online for Peco anything.

Back