What happened to our photos?

UP2CSX

Fleeing from Al
Eric, seems like we're missing April and May here. I think you're spending too much time in old mines. :)

I miss seeing (and participating in) the monthly Photo Contests as well. It is one of the BIG reasons I have liked this forum. Please, lets get them going again!

Yeah, what's the scoop? Two months with no "contest"? :confused:

Is there a mod looking in who would like to suggest a remedy of some kind? Is there something I missed about our usual host... is he okay?

-Crandell

I went through all of the past "photo contests" a few weeks back and really like what I saw. Definitely a great idea and I too hope that it continues on.

Why we don't scheudle the contest?, for the rest of the year, this way we will know what's comming, when to participate and vote.
I think this way could be easyer for everyone.

Me thinks we need a different Mod to take over the contests.

The straight skinny...

I agree and have tried to recruit someone else for the past several months to head the contests. So far, there have been no takers. I've had a PM in to Bob about setting up a new mod to take over but haven't heard back from him yet.

Here's the deal folks, I've run the contest for the past several years. It's been fun, but I'm about out of new ideas and my time is more divided now than it was when I started. I feel like it's time to move on and get some fresh ideas and energy behind the project.

The contests were about dead when I took them on and tried to revive it. They are a cool part of the forum. I'm sure we can find another mod to keep them going. Ya'll hang tight...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the clarification Eric. Sure hope you folks find someone soon! The photo contests are always my favorites.

Thanks for the clarification Eric. Sure hope you folks find someone soon! The photo contests are always my favorites.

Thanks for the patience Ray. We have a volunteer ready and I'll run it by Bob when he responds to my PM (or sees this thread)...

Good to hear from you, Eric. You've done a great job with the photo contests and deserve a break...so you can go and find us some more mines. :)

I haven't heard anything yet folks... :)

In the meantime, our whole dept at work has been told we'll probably be laid off by the middle of next month. :( More of my immediate time will be going into finding another job.

:eek: I had to ask, didn't I. :(

Sorry, grande man. That can't be a very cool addition to your summer. I guess the good part, the only good part, is that you didn't get to work this morning to find the place padlocked with a Sheriff's seal on it and a hastily scrawled note.

I hope it works out quickly and superbly for you. Maybe Opportunity is screaming into your bad ear? :D

-Crandell

Eric, there seems to be a lot of interest in keeping the contest going. It would be a shame to lose it. On the home front I have a plate full now, but I'm on here several times a day anyway, so if it isn't too difficult of a task to do I'll take it over at least until you get re organized. Send me a PM or email on how you do it, what's required and if Bob has to give me powers to do it.
Cheers Willis

Willis should have all of the "super powers" he needs to take this over. If not, let me know and I'll change whatever needs changed.

That said, Willis is already busy with a lot of other stuff around here, so let's try and recruit a volunteer to help him out with the contests, and hopefully to learn the ropes and take it over at some point.

As far as topics go, let's jump on the "green" banwagon and recycle them. It doesn't matter if we do the same onces once a year or so, there's only so many topics you can reasonably come up with. Get too specific, and you won't have any contestants. i.e. I'd like to do "Geared logging locomotives", but if only a few people here model that, then we're shooting ourselves in the foot.

Good on ya Eric, i'm a mod on an emigration forum, it eats into your day some don't you agree.

Folks, we're always looking for help around here, in a variety of capacities. If you'd like to be a mod, let us know. Tasks vary from the simple and ever popular "Whack-a-Mole" (deleting spam) to the more time-consuming tasks of running contests and over-seeing other areas of the forum. The more mods we have, the less load there is on any one mod.

I'm also planning to upgrade the software soon, which should help reduce the amount of spammers, but during the summer months things are pretty hectic for me.

Folks, we're always looking for help around here, in a variety of capacities. If you'd like to be a mod, let us know. Tasks vary from the simple and ever popular "Whack-a-Mole" (deleting spam) to the more time-consuming tasks of running contests and over-seeing other areas of the forum. The more mods we have, the less load there is on any one mod.

Bob, Old 97 (Mike) has volunteered to help as the contest mod. I know Willis doesn't really need to take anything else to do right now.

If we're going to do reruns, things will be somewhat easier. It is getting tough to come up with acceptable new topics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back