What does it take to make a good 4 x 8?

with absolute zero intentions of stirring up trouble, i made above referenced comment with the EXACT SAME thoughts in mind, it does seem thought that the other forum is faster paced than this one perhaps more members? well to get things back on subject here, i am returning to the hobby after a 10 year ish haitus. i seriously contemplated a 4x8 to "get the hang again". but as for all the aforementioned issues, is why i have opted to dive right into my lifetime dream layout. i, like many others dont mind watching trains go round and round, but lets have three or more in a 18 by 24 area (N scale) winding all over while switching an industrial area. or making up the staging area, anyway my thoughts

The big difference is that there are moderators here that don't let thing deteriorate into a street fight. Across the street, they've finally gotten a few moderators but the post voume is so much higher that things get out of hand much faster. Ergo, you need more moderators on a 24/7 basis. I still haven't seen that happen and I refuse to waste my time wading through threads full of insults and invective when I don't have to do that here.

Last edited by a moderator:
well to get things back on subject here, i am returning to the hobby after a 10 year ish haitus. i seriously contemplated a 4x8 to "get the hang again". but as for all the aforementioned issues, is why i have opted to dive right into my lifetime dream layout. i, like many others dont mind watching trains go round and round, but lets have three or more in a 18 by 24 area (N scale) winding all over while switching an industrial area. or making up the staging area, anyway my thoughts
Well to get back on topic. I am returning after a lengthy hiatus like you (25 years +/-).
I'm sticking with the 4X8 for the moment, with an eye on some sort of expansion. Again like you... "to get the hang again".
I have agonized over whether to switch gauges to "N" or "G".

My self debate went like this.

"G" = I have a wooded lot in a rural area and think it would be rather nifty to run trains through the woods and brush. BUT, The mosquito's out here in Florida are HORRENDOUS at times. SO bad this year that the county had us aerial sprayed due to the discovery of West Nile in test birds that the AG Department has stationed around the county. What with all my other health problems, West Nile is NOT one that I wish to add to my list of "been there, got that" illnesses.

"N" = WOW, I could get a LOT of stuff on that 4X8 if'n I went "N". Then the reality of my failing vision wakes me up. I can just see to rail an HO set-up. N would be just too small for me to work or do much with unless I use BIG magnifying glasses strategically placed around and over the layout just to see if that was a spider or an GP unit rolling across the table.

Leaving me back at my originating point of HO. I really have no issues with running a double loop layout with a small yard/industrial switching area. I'm a self proclaimed "Rail-Fan" and can sit and watch trains run round a loop through scenery for hours. (simple mind-simple pleasures) It would also give me a little operational workout. But most of all, I feel it would give me a chance to hone skills that are needed for doing scenery, weathering, kit-bashing, detailing, roads, buildings, etc, etc, etc. The 4X8 being a training wheels setup won't discourage me when the failures or learning errors inevitably happen. It won't ruin my "Masterpiece", after all it's just my training wheel set-up.

So this is more or less the reason behind wanting to work with a 4X8 piece of wood.
Mundane? - Yes!
Imaginative? - No!
Safe for me to screw up and still want to proceed? - Yes!
In writing, the author always creates a rough draft first. Then once the basic story is there, They refine and re-write to create their War & Peace from a handfull of scribbled notes written on the backs of 4X8 envelopes.:rolleyes:

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.:cool:

Scoot

PS: Fazby, across the street = Model Railroader Magazine (trains.com).
But the folks here are much nicer
and they have a better menu at the diner here.

Hmmm. first draft... Yeah, that's the ticket. I like that cover story.

Heck it's my first layout that is actually going to get to a working stage. (Time pressures aborted some previous attempts but I learned something each time.)

So much to learn - gotta do something to get moving.

Then again, I am not a modeler of reality. I am almost certainly mixing periods. I am after some simple switching and an Inglenook game. That is waht I want out of this. Those that want super realism, more power to you but it is not my thing.

OK, I took a look at 'across the street' and that thread really wandered off. Unjustified. Thanks for the education.

This may sound weird, but I've never built a 4x8 - I knew from the beginning that the auto racks and 85ft piggyback flats I've always loved would never handle the tight curves. On my first layout, I used a tax refund to buy some Sievers pre-fab benchwork. I got my 4x8 plywood sections sliced in half at the local Hechinger's (remember them?), bolted the benchwork together with an electric screwdriver, and was up-and-running within 2 days.

OTOH, if I was modeling 1955 or earlier when cars over 50ft didn't exist, and 34ft coal hoppers were plentiful - a 4x8 would've probably worked fine.

What's your take on the Siever's pre-fab stuff? I've seen the pics, they look good.

As a carpenter who has 8 thumbs (none opposing), I look for this sort of stuff, even though I know it's pricey.

Kennedy

What's your take on the Siever's pre-fab stuff? I've seen the pics, they look good.

If I wasn't paying for all my kids' educations, I'd be using that stuff today! It is very easy to work with (IMHO).

You have to bolt the boards together yourself, but all the necessary hardware is included. It helps if you have a cordless electric screwdriver - a regular one can be used but it would take longer.

You still need to supply your own plywood [or other top horizontal surface material].

Here's their website: http://www.sieversbenchwork.com/

Thanks. I've sent for literature before, and it looks simple. The other thing that came to mind when reviewing their stuff was the apparent ease in building your own custom extensions here and there. I can handle that stuff, but didn't want to spend a lot of time using my 8 non-opposing thumbs to build ALL the benchwork.

:D

Kennedy

Back