What are turnouts so expensive?

KB02

Copy/pasted from MBK - modeltrainstuff: https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Sea...ng=Y&sort=3&search=#6+turnout&show=120&page=1

Atlas HO 561 Code 83 Track #4 Left Hand Custom-Line Turnout
Retail Price: $21.95
Our Price: 13.99
You save $7.96!
111 in Stock

MBK sells the Atlas code 83 #6 for $13.99, MicroEngineering code 83 #6 for $18.99 and Peco code 83 #6 for $25.99.

If you go with Code 100 at MBK, Atlas #6 are $12.99, Shinohara #6 are $17.59, Peco large radius turnout are $19.99, so a bit less expensive.

I didn't realize the Fast Tracks jigs and accessories cost so much but from what I have read, people aren't buying FS to save money necessarily, it's so they can custom build turnouts to fit where off-the-shelf turnouts don't fit the bill.

I've been buying my track and most is from MBK Model Train Stuff. I'm going with the Code 100 since my son is young and I want this to be for him as well.

Dave

Little secret. I model British 4 mm/OO as well as North American prototype. I do about 80% of my UK prototype business with Hattons of Liverpool. They carry Peco Code 83 turnouts at a UK discounted price. Say the most expensive one currently listed is 18 GBP (a #6 is 15 GBP) at the current credit card rate of about $1.25 USD to GBP or $22.50. So at that price about what you would pay from a discounter in the US. But as a non-EU (while UK is still in the EU) customer, Hattons deducts the 20% VAT from the price making it 14.40 GBP at the $1.25 exchange rate makes it $18.00 USD. Add about $7.00 USD air freight postage per order so that the more you order the price per item goes down. On an order of 7 turnouts, it would be about $19.00 USD per turnout. They take Visa, MC, Amex cards and paypal. Hattons doesn't charge until shipped and keep you informed by email. Delivery in the US is by USPS and there is no US duty on orders under $500. They do not collect or report any US sales taxes so that is up to you and your state tax administration. How long this will last with the low value of the GBP and Brexit is unknown. But the Peco Code 83 is make in the UK (in a town delightfully named Beer in Devonshire.)

And, they are probably the UK's (and maybe the world's) largest retailer of Peco products. They do make a range of code 75 track but it is more European in appearance.

Unfortunately for me, I need North American style code 70 for my next layout.

I am not affiliated in anyway with Hattons other than as a reasonably good customer over the last 30 plus years.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken, the better exchange rate since the devaluation of the pound after the Brexit referendum probably has changed things a great deal in terms of making it favorable to order Peco code 83 turnouts. What would the cost have been for the Peco #6 when the exchange rate was approximately 1.5 USD to the pound?

As it happens btw, I'm married to a Geordie - but she isn't you're average Geordie. Last time we were across the pond up we visited a model RR club in Sunderland and most of the members modeled US trains and a number of them had been rail fanning in the US. One of them gave us a ride back home in his American Cadillac Escalade (left hand drive!). That was a hoot!

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Since I use N scale maybe prices might be slightly less than, or same as HO for new turnouts (not sure). The very few brand new ones I bought were $12 to $18, but the $18 ones were remote controllable atlas type. AND.....AND....the real cool thing is I got most of my collection of 76 turnouts used on ebay for an average of $4 each, including about 20 with remote control. THE ACTUAL TRUTH IS....I enjoy collecting different era's and models of N scale turnouts (more than I need) just as separate thing by itself...(oh geez that's oddball). Because a variety of atlas N scale turnouts have been made since the early 1960's at least, and were made in europe, china, and USA. A good person on Ebay compiled a very detailed study and description of each of the ten or so different upgrades of Atlas code 80 N scale turnout models produced over the decades. So I use that as a guide to figure out which are the better ones to buy, because some function better than others.

So I just need another 24 used turnouts and I'll have collected my first hundred....wow! So far I've not incorporated a single turnout into my one scale mile loop layout (WHY?...ha ha) mostly because I've had other interests taking up time, and might expand the benchwork before figuring out a new track plan. I got lucky and won several ebay auctions, each consisted of eight to fifteen used turnouts for a great price. Some needed slight cleanup, and all are mechanically functional though I did not test the remote control feature, but those also have a built-in manual switching lever so I don't care too much if the remote works or not. The infinite routing possibilities with lots of turnouts and complex track work is probably the most interesting thing about model railroading for me, even if I never get very far with my layout, though I do intend to keep building as long as my lower back holds out. GREAT TOPIC! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Back