What are these Brass Loco models and why do they cost $900?

I assume they have more detail out of the box, but is it that much more than a good plastic loco? Do they run better? Hopefully a millionaire hobbiest who owns one of these will chime in ;)

I own a few brass pieces, and they are beautiful, durable, and it is a great experience to open your first brand new piece of brass. Nowadays though if there is a quality plastic manufacturer that makes lets say a gp-7 and a brass manufacturer makes the same loco they plastic one will most likely be more detailed then the brass piece, and probably run better in my opinion. Now Im not knocking brass products you just have to do some research. I am starting to only buy brass pieces that were never produced in plastic. Last thing if detail is what your after than dont buy mid to late seventies/ early 80's brass pieces, not only will you be disappointed in the detail, they dont run great, any plastic piece produced in the last 15-20 years will be far superior

Brass was better when plastic manipulation was poor. Now plastic is pretty good!

But brass still has a really high level of detail. It depends on the producer. Also, brass products tend to be heavier, which is usually considered better for performance.

The detail is usual more unit specific on brass vs. RR specific on most plastic. Also there are less models of brass locos being made, for example, I have a Overland Models CDOT FL9 #2026 and there are only 12 made of that number in the world, so that’s another reason of high costs. As for running, some of the older units ran and sounded like coffee grinders and the newer units are silky smooth. Some Loco and Car models are only available in brass as the small number made allows the more oddball stuff be manufactured unlike plastic where it wouldn’t be economical to make a mold for a loco where there were only 10 made.

Here is another oddball unit made in brass. Its a NW5 that I had modified and painted into Mass Central #2100 as it appeared around 2005. Since then Overland is doing another run of them in the current paint scheme.

MCNW57.png

MCNW58.png

APrototypeNW51.png

APrototypeNW52.png

The detail is usual more unit specific on brass vs. RR specific on most plastic. Also there are less models of brass locos being made, for example, I have a Overland Models CDOT FL9 #2026 and there are only 12 made of that number in the world, so that’s another reason of high costs. As for running, some of the older units ran and sounded like coffee grinders and the newer units are silky smooth. Some Loco and Car models are only available in brass as the small number made allows the more oddball stuff be manufactured unlike plastic where it wouldn’t be economical to make a mold for a loco where there were only 10 made.

Here is another oddball unit made in brass. Its a NW5 that I had modified and painted into Mass Central #2100 as it appeared around 2005. Since then Overland is doing another run of them in the current paint scheme.

MCNW57.png

MCNW58.png

APrototypeNW51.png

APrototypeNW52.png

Why did you have to show me that????? I have one of the new overland runs on pre order in Fort Street Union Depot I am waiting patiently for it

I assume they have more detail out of the box, but is it that much more than a good plastic loco? Do they run better?
I used to have lots of brass models. In fact at one time 1984 or so I had every brass N-scale locomotive made. As the others have said, as the plastic technology advanced it is now almost as good as the etched brass ever was. I sold most all the brass locos and replaced them with better running plastic. I did keep several including the DM&IR 2-8-8-4 Yellowstone because the prior owner had already gone through and installed a can motor and upgraded the gears.

Another counter point is that I wish I could get some of the brass I want for as cheap as $900. The NP Z-6 by W&R that has been on my wish list for some time was originally $2400 and is now up to $3100. sigh. It is one of the most beautiful models I've ever seen. One can clearly see the detail in the red hand valves in the fully detailed cab of the loco. W&R makes amazing models I just can't afford them.

I think there's a bigger difference between brass and plastic when dealing with steamers than when dealing with diesels. There is so much more detail to be represented and so much less room for mechanics, electronics, weight, and sound that starting with a metal body gives the brass solution a bit of an edge. Brass can be thinner and remain durable allowing more interior space for necessary items. Brass also adds weight which can be hard to come by in steamers.

But the gap has narrowed to almost non-existent. Especially when you factor in cost.

Answering the question about the $900.00. What it really says is that dollars aren't worth a whole lot anymore on the global scale of things.

On the desirability scale, Rolex watches that cost $8,000 are dead in the water. Rolex watches that cost $250,000 are backordered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a brass collector. (For one railroad.) I have every loco produced for that RR in brass except for 2. Those I can't afford. I also have several others in my collections that are just locos I like that my main RR never had. I also have several kit builts and some plastic locos as well.

I haven't paid more than $300 for any piece of brass I own. There is one advantage that brass has over plastic, that hasn't been mentioned. Ease of repair, maintenance, and they are super easy to take apart. Unlike most plastic steamers, only three screws generally hold the steamers to the chassis.

They are also very easy to re-gear or re-motor if necessary. Brass settled on a "standard" 3mm axle diameter, so, many gears and such fit more than one model. Plastic loco axles have varied from 2mm to 6mm.

I have taken all my brass, re-geared and re-motored, and in some cases, re-detailed as well. They all have DCC installed, and all have been programmed to run within a a smph, or two, among them all. Meaning that if I want to doublehead any, they will do so with out any adjusting whatsoever.

While they all don't cost $900 or more, the reason brass is so expensive is they cannot be mass produced. Each loco is hand assembled from brass sheet, detail castings, rods and valve gear pieces, etc. Each loco is soldered together. All of the brass produced is limited run, maybe never to be re-run items, with just enough produced to ensure everyone gets paid.

I bought my first brass loco in the late 80's and have been hooked since.

This is a model made by Samhongsa in 1987. Note the detail. I t has been a very durable model and it runs very smooth and can crawl very slow smoothly.

I like brass steamers more so than diesel though I have one brass diesel that I had to tweak a bit. Also I don't care for the factory paint jobs on brass diesels especially askew numbering and stripes.

The finest and best running locos I have are made by Boo Rim and I wish they made more Canadian steam locos. They are pricey, but for me worth every dollar. I bought the 2-8-0 when the Canadian dollar was low and it cost me; cest la vie... Canadian locos can be rare and are not made often. This particular class and numbered loco model is one out of three built. I was gong to buy another loco like this of a different class last week on line, but I wasn't fast enough; it sold within days.

The 4-6-2 is the last brass loco I bought and was lucky to have found it on the net.

Here is an example of an older brass model. Note the lack of detail. It runs well and slow, but is very noisy. I had to replace the nylon gears (that split) with custom made brass ones.

I assume they have more detail out of the box, but is it that much more than a good plastic loco? Do they run better? Hopefully a millionaire hobbiest who owns one of these will chime in ;)

The newer brass models have great durable details and it depends on the maker on how well they run. I've yet seen the best plastic locos run as well as the best brass locos.

I saw TLTs steam loco run at a hobby shop and wasn't impressed at all. However I have seen some plastic locos run well that were about half the price of a brass loco, but didn't quite run as well or haul as well.

Note the details on this newer brass loco.

I bought my first brass loco in the late 80's and have been hooked since.

This is a model made by Samhongsa in 1987. Note the detail. I t has been a very durable model and it runs very smooth and can crawl very slow smoothly.

That first picture of the steamer rounding the bend is awesome:cool:

Around ten - twelve years ago I had several OMI C630M's and was blown away with the level of detail but everyone of them sound like a coffee grinder and due to a divorce I sold them off. I have a few brass Vans (Caboose), a Jordan spreader and the most recent arrivals arrivals are a pair of OMI C430's. I only buy what is not available in plastic and all off the above have been under $325. Deals are out there, you just need to keep looking.

Answering the question about the $900.00. What it really says is that dollars aren't worth a whole lot anymore on the global scale of things.

On the desirability scale, Rolex watches that cost $8,000 are dead in the water. Rolex watches that cost $250,000 are backordered.

Truer words were never spoken. Not only does the value of the dollar change, but so does the value of what it purchases. Time awaits no man, nor his tastes. While brass locomotives were the cat's PJ's 30 years ago, few people desire them now. People have found other pastimes.

That first picture of the steamer rounding the bend is awesome:cool:

Around ten - twelve years ago I had several OMI C630M's and was blown away with the level of detail but everyone of them sound like a coffee grinder and due to a divorce I sold them off. I have a few brass Vans (Caboose), a Jordan spreader and the most recent arrivals arrivals are a pair of OMI C430's. I only buy what is not available in plastic and all off the above have been under $325. Deals are out there, you just need to keep looking.

Thanks.

I too only buy in brass what is not available in plastic. The only thing available in plastic for the place and year I model were switchers and a freight diesel. The only Canadian steam loco available in plastic was made by TLT recently and I'm not impressed on how it runs and is almost as expensive as a brass model.

Got any pics of the Jordon spreader and the C430s to share?

There are certainly deals out there, and for a Canadian like myself, the prices are much better (due to todays exchange rates) than what they were back in the 90's even for brand new models.

I've been a blue collar worker most of my working life and have managed to afford brass simply because what I specifically want for my collection is only made every five years or so. Also I don't smoke, drink, or gamble. Now that the Canadian dollar is usually on par with that of the US dollar, buying a new brass model is actually cheaper to buy than it was back in the late 90's and at the turn of the century; about $300 to $400 cheaper for me.

i cant even think about affording brass , MTH & ATHEARN & any articulated steam is about as far as my payscale will allow , but this time im planning ahead , the new girlfriend is being immersed into the world of trains :cool::cool:
she will comply with my monetary needs for high end steam since she in the leasing to own phase of the relationship, ;)

Thanks.

I too only buy in brass what is not available in plastic. The only thing available in plastic for the place and year I model were switchers and a freight diesel. The only Canadian steam loco available in plastic was made by TLT recently and I'm not impressed on how it runs and is almost as expensive as a brass model.

Got any pics of the Jordon spreader and the C430s to share?

There are certainly deals out there, and for a Canadian like myself, the prices are much better (due to todays exchange rates) than what they were back in the 90's even for brand new models.

Everything is boxed up right now and I promise I will get pics once I get my bench work up and some track laid. All I have had for trackage the past six years was 12' on a 6" ledge in a spare bedroom so I finally decided to do something about it and put everything away and I am in the process of painting the walls and I hope to start construction in a couple of weeks.

Back