What a kick to the head !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RRP SD7/9

blues90

I got this thing years ago and always wanted to do a Milwaukee road using it.

I usually never give up but this shell just plain sucks.

First off they didn't add number boards and at one time after adding the better detail associates rad fans and the winterizing hatch I added the DA SD7 number marker lights and the proper headlamps . I knew there was an issue with the way RRP did the round over of the roof so I placed the class lights just a tiny bit high . Then I decided to drill two holes at each end where the number boards should be , again an attempt to come close , I then filed out the shape of the number boards but had to make them a bit shorter in length and not as tall as they should be . They should be like GP7's or GP9's .

Then I thought I had the problem solved because I found two old wide body SD40-2 shells some place made to fit athearn trucks and drive , well the number boards were dead on . So like a fool I cut one out so all I had was the number board and the raised gasket plus a tiny bit of room around the gasket with square corners so I could cut out the shell and fit them in place . Then I just checked the front . Once I checked the rear then I realized RPP did the rad housing all wrong . It's not even close to right. The grills are centered on the sides rather than lower with more of a drop from the roof , on top of this if I did use correct size number boards the bottom of the boards would be even with the bottom of the rad housing where it sticks out rather than having some space below them.

I see that the rear of the rad housing is perhaps .015" higher from the walkway than the sides so I could add styrene strips and get a bit more space . Even then it may work barely and still look like crap . Best shot is make boards not as tall and look away or put the entire thing back in the box and walk away .

I have other loco's I will finish that are RPP shells like the GP35 and SD40 which are correct and doable . I had the RRP think U23B if I recall that fit the athearn frame and had good detail and I made it a high hood from a smokey Valley kit that used to be out and it was also the correct hood width . But this SD7/9 shell and I got it with the RPP frame is just garbage .

I really like SD7's or SD9's . I used to have two PK2 units that looked nice other than the ladders and the break when you look at them handrails.

Ok, I think it's time for a suggestion. Have a spare frame? Mate the hood and frame, add dummy trucks and bits and pieces of handrails. Put on a messy paint job. What do you have? A diesel that has been wrecked and is going to shop to be evaluated for repairs! Got a siding you don't use very often? Put it in there, add a couple of company vehicles and guys with hardhats, and presto, the brass is inspecting the loco! Or, have a scrap yard? There's the next set of razor blades waiting to be discovered! The opportunites abound for what to do with this shell with a bit of unconventional thinking.

Or, if you really want to represent reality in a sort of "awkward" way, why not model a wreck scene? Add a couple of old freight cars you don't use to the scene, some company vehicles, etc.. Perhaps a railroad police squad car, a fire department vehicle, an ambulance?

Photoman475

Back