Weight of full size piece of rail?

NYO&W

For all you full scalers :D ...or...ever just wonder how much that piece of rail weighs that you found in the woods near the abandoned right of way? I brought a 3 foot or so long section home once and almost busted my back doing it. :rolleyes: Afterwards I searched for a way to calculate the number of pounds per linear foot, based on the cross sectional dimensions. See the chart on this link: http://www.icrr.net/rails.htm

I used a 3 ft. section of old rail in my welding shop for about 30 years as an Anvil. I welded it to a pc. of 8" pipe & then welded the pipe to an old school bus brake drum.
When I closed up the shop in 1980 I sold it for about $50.

Real rail is actually "measured" by the weight, ie; 90 lb rail, 120 lb rail, etc. The results are that it is taller, but the description is by weight per yard/3 foot section.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife's grandfather was using this one to close off a space between the side his barn and the foundation. He originally got it when they abandoned the D&H in PA.

Real rail is actually "measured" by the weight, ie; 90 lb rail, 120 lb rail, etc. The results are that it is taller, but the description is by weight per yard/3 foot section.

Hey, kenw. Based on the chart and cross sectional dimensions I figured out that I had a 130 lb per yard A.R.E.A. Rail with a Section Index of 13025. I mainly did this to try and figure out why a 40" long piece was so heavy when I lifted it into my car :rolleyes:. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no expert, but I calculated it to be 143 pounds, based on 130 lbs/yd x 1.1 yds.

Thanks for the comment, UP2CSX.

the largest piece of rail I have is a sliver about 1/2" thick. It appears to be a trim for a welded joint. It makes a good paperweight at work and a pretty good conversation piece as well.

the largest piece of rail I have is a sliver about 1/2" thick. It appears to be a trim for a welded joint. It makes a good paperweight at work and a pretty good conversation piece as well.

Alot easier to keep on the desk too. :rolleyes:

Back