Weathering

ggp

ggp
Here is one of my first attempts. [attempts.
P1030609.jpg

P1030610.jpg

P1030611.jpg

Gary, very believable. One observation on the sides though. Remember everything runs downward. If you can take some of your rust spots, and lightly run them downward, it would add to the overall affect.

Very good especially the end. I would say outstanding for a first try!

It reminds me of my first weathering job. I did it on a junk Gondola. It came out great because I wasn't afraid of ruining it. Sadly it was a low quality toy train so I couldn't use it.

Nice job, Gary, particularly for an early effort. If I may, let me offer a suggestion, or two, for you to consider during future weathering sessions on this sort of car.

The ends of your car look very good, however less so in side view. The car's lettering is far too "fresh" looking, as is the overall body paint, in spite of the rust patches. I would suggest that next time you start out by giving the entire car a thin application (a "wash") of something like Floquil, or Polyscale, Weathered Black. This will tone down/fade the lettering, as well as give the car's appearance a more aged and service-worn look.

Then, after completing your other weathering steps, consider applying a thinned application of Earth, or Dust, to about the lower 1/3 of the car to represent road dust kicked up onto the car during its travels. Finally, make the rust color on your couplers a much darker rusty hue.

NYW&B

Back